Historical Plausibility

Zirk

Chieftain
First of all, I understand that mods like Rhye's and Fall make this game a lot more historically accurate, but that mod also seems sort of deterministic to me. I don't enjoy getting free cities, etc.

I wonder how people would feel about making the series a lot more historically plausible. This would probably mean the different civilizations would have to be made much more unique. Maybe they could add "National Ideas" sort of like Europa Universalis does. For instance: You choose to play as England, and you start with maybe 1-3 national ideas that give you bonuses to naval power, maybe making ships cost less to build, giving them bonuses in combat, giving them increased speed, something like that or increased hammers from coal tiles, stuff that makes sense historically but wouldn't be overpowering. And then give them the ability to add new national ideas or change national ideas with penalties as time goes on. This could perhaps even replace the silly generic leader traits we have now. It seems stupid to me that Napoleon, for instance, has no combat bonuses. And I'd also like them to expand on the bonuses/penalties given to relations based on civics. Historically, Russia and China are natural rivals but, in the game, because their civics are quite similar you aren't necessarily going to see any real rivalry between them. Maybe this would mean adding several more civics, I don't know.

I would also like to see more realistic diplomacy. Even if a country hates another country, they aren't necessarily going to like someone gobbling that country up and destabilizing the balance of power. Maybe they could add something like Coalitions, where several countries could agree to defend each other against or attack a specific country/countries, but the alliance wouldn't do anything against other countries. This would be more limited than a defensive alliance, for instance. For example, if you were playing on an Earth map, Germany and Ottoman Empire might form a coalition against Russia in order to dissuade Russia from expanding west/south seeing as neither wants to see an enlarged Russia, but Ottomans aren't going to defend Germany from French expansion.

I might be in a minority here but there is just something that bothers me about starting the game as an American nation with the ability to found Confucianism and build the Pyramids just as easily as China and Egypt. I'm not saying that I shouldn't be ABLE to defy history, but gosh at least make stuff like the Parthenon a priority for Greece, and give them a natural tendency toward naval power, coastal expansion, and great philosophers(not just great people in general).

I agree with you on diplomacy. It needs a lot of work to make it even just a little bit more realistic rather than the "gaminess" it is now, and I definitely want that work done. Your example of an AI civ A that hates another civ B, and B starts getting clobbered by civ C, should at least sometimes result in better relations between civ A and civ C, for example.

However I disagree with the rest. I don't want the civs getting more historically plausible - as you say - since in some games this will simply not make sense. I would rather see the civ's bonuses coming from in-game situations rather than historical ones. For example, if England starts in the middle of a continent within a large desert - how would naval bonuses make any sense within this "alternative history"? Of course it wouldn't.

Well OP, aren't you a confused little lady, saying you don't like historical determinism but say that you want the Greeks to prioritize the Parthenon or some crap at the end.

Actually, it makes lots of sense. The OP is saying that they don't like the way RFC makes it more historical. They're saying they want light flavouring of buildings/units, etc.

If all civs are created equal, then who cares which one you choose? It's just for flavor or your own personal national pride. There's definitely a place for that kind of thing, like for scenarios where you want everything to be as equal as possible, but overall, you want some differences between civs.

This "national identity" idea is a good way to add traits to a civ and still allow leaders to hop around to other civs than the ones they historically ruled, as we can do now. Currently it's done in the form of UU and UB, but a lot of those are crap. Poor Khmer! And until you reach Modern times, poor America!

And if England gets stuck in the middle of a desert, well sucks to be England. Kinda like now.

Top Bottom