Historical Spawn Dates

That sounds interesting, would that make modding it any easier (my LUA would need much improvement)?

The problem isn't the when. it's the how.

I mean spawning units at a specific turn is fairly easy. The proble mis what to do when someone else settles it before you spawn, since there's no known way to flip cities just yet.

i remember FramedArchitecture making settler maps for Civ V, though i wouldn’t be too sure if that would work in VI
Could you just spawn the city without units beforehand and make it work some useless project until the historical spawn date, or create a culture blob at its TSL?
Or if the city is taken, or with problematic civs, simply spawn military units to take the city (like the Ottomans spawning with siege units around Constantinople instead of extra settlers)?

i remember FramedArchitecture making settler maps for Civ V, though i wouldn’t be too sure if that would work in VI
Could you just spawn the city without units beforehand and make it work some useless project until the historical spawn date, or create a culture blob at its TSL?
Or if the city is taken, or with problematic civs, simply spawn military units to take the city (like the Ottomans spawning with siege units around Constantinople instead of extra settlers)?

I mean, I already managed to make historic starting dates, it's completely awful due to the pressure but they also start at 1 population with normal growth.

You could also do as you said with the Ottomans.. but in the hands of the AI, it's not guaranteed its' going to work :p

I mean, I already managed to make historic starting dates, it's completely awful due to the pressure but they also start at 1 population with normal growth.

You could also do as you said with the Ottomans.. but in the hands of the AI, it's not guaranteed its' going to work :p

Hi! Could you upload your version please? I can test it and help you with bugs or the pace of the game. Also, I'd like to have a game with this enabled haha :D

Hi! Could you upload your version please? I can test it and help you with bugs or the pace of the game. Also, I'd like to have a game with this enabled haha :D
It is far from finished and far from my priorities right now. So unfortunately no. I merely wanted to state it was possible to do.

Updated this mod to work with Gathering Storm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va6x01c3vw37gj9/Historical Spawn Dates (Gathering Storm).zip?dl=0

Also included are changes for playing on a huge earth map with all civs:
  • Added start dates for any missing new civs or city-states
  • City States will spawn based on their start date
  • Units of other players in a starting plot will be killed before spawn (might prevent civs from failing to spawn)
  • Civs start receiving free settlers when spawning in the medieval era, rather than classical era (helps preserve space for late starting civs)
  • Start dates have been changed to give civs the best chance of spawning before their starting areas are settled (based on how long it takes the AI to expand)
Search for totalslacker in ScriptHSD.lua to disable changes. HistoricalSpawnDates.sql contains start dates. You'll probably want to make changes depending on your game setup. There's no city flipping or loyalty effects yet, but I use the Loyal Capitals mod. After testing with Real Strategy, the AI performs pretty well and they were almost all able to spawn properly on a huge earth map. A few civs might get crowded out, so choose neighbors and city states carefully, or adjust their start dates. I've also noticed city states spawning at random start locations if the original plot is taken, when using YNAMP.

Amazing! Does this works with any map script? If I play with YNAMP Giant Earth, would it work or should I specify something in the files? Im going to give it a go and see how it handles loyalty without the Loyal Capitals mod and see whats up. Great job!

Works great! The city states spawning at random places does happen when their plots are taken, yeah, and civs are likely to spawn in the dark age but those are very minor issues.

I've noticed some civs stop researching the civics tree since the beginning of the game. I started a game as America and when I spawned the british hadn't even discovered foreign trade

Would it be possible to bias certain civs on their starts. e.g. suppose I want to set up a colonization mod and adjust the TSLs and dates so that Portugal starts in Brazil at 1500. How would I give them an instant unit and tech boost?

Edit: realized Portugal isn't in the game, but just as an example!

Ill try use LeeS’s Really Advanced Setup Lite and see how it works with this mod

Last edited:
Has this been updated to include Gran Columbia and Mayans? As well as any issues the patches may have caused?

Top Bottom