History Books!

A brief recommendation from a new guy. I'd suggest The Ghosts of Cannae by Robert L. O'Connell as an excellent read on the Second Punic War. It does a great job of not only detailing what happened, but giving information about the significance these events had in the eyes of the people of the time. Well, at least, that's my opinion on it.

If you want some good history written with those concerns, though [long-term trends], I recommend Fernand Braudel's, well, everything. The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Phillip II is pretty great, as is his three-part "Civilization & Capitalism 15-18th Century," titled The Wheels of Commerce, The Perspective of the World, and The Structures of Everyday Life, respectively.

Another vote for Braudel's "Civilization & Capitalism", impressive work.

edit: didn't notice there was already a newer thread for books!

I recommend Hussite Trilogy by Andrzej Sapkowski. It is a historical fantasy, but it is really well-written. The action takes place in the early 15 th century and shows religious conflicts between the Utraquists and Roman Catholic Church. It's funny, scary and immersive!

Top Bottom