Homophobia associated with higher rates of psychoticism

cardgame

Obsessively Opposed to the Typical
Abstract:

Introduction

Homophobic behavior and a negative attitude toward homosexuals are prevalent among the population. Despite this, few researches have investigated the psychologic aspects associated with homophobia, as psychopathologic symptoms, the defensive system, and attachment styles.
Aim

The aim of this study was to investigate the psychologic factors mentioned earlier and their correlation with homophobia.
Methods

Five hundred fifty-one university students recruited, aged 18–30, were asked to complete several psychometric evaluation.
Main Outcome Measures

In particular, Homophobia Scale (HS) was used to assess homophobia levels, the Symptoms Check List Revised (SCL-90-R) for the identification of psychopathologic symptoms, the Defence Style Questionnaire (DSQ-40) for the evaluation of defense mechanisms and the Relationship Questionnaire (RQ) for attachment styles.
Results

After a regression analysis, we found a significant predictive value of psychoticism (&#946;&#8201;=&#8201;0.142; P&#8201;=&#8201;0.04) and of immature defense mechanisms (&#946;&#8201;=&#8201;0.257; P&#8201;<&#8201;0.0001) for homophobia, while neurotic defense mechanisms (&#946;&#8201;=&#8201;&#8722;0.123; P&#8201;=&#8201;0.02) and depressive symptoms (&#946;&#8201;=&#8201;&#8722;0.152; P&#8201;=&#8201;0.04) have an opposite role. Moreover, categorical constructs of the RQ revealed a significant difference between secure and fearful attachments styles in levels of homophobia (secure&#8201;=&#8201;22.09&#8201;±&#8201;17.22 vs. fearful&#8201;=&#8201;31.07&#8201;±&#8201;25.09; P&#8201;<&#8201;0.05). Finally, a gender difference to HS scores and a significant influence of male sex was found (&#946;&#8201;=&#8201;0.213; P&#8201;<&#8201;0.0001).
Conclusions

We demonstrated the involvement of psychoticism and immature defense mechanisms in homophobic attitudes, while a contrasting role is played by neurotic defense mechanisms and depressive symptoms. Moreover, secure attachment is an indicator of low levels of homophobia compared with the subjects demonstrating a fearful style of attachment. Hence, in the assessment of homophobia and in the relevant programs of prevention, it is necessary to consider the psychologic aspects described earlier. Ciocca G, Tuziak B, Limoncin E, Mollaioli D, Capuano N, Martini A, Carosa E, Fisher AD, Maggi M, Niolu C, Siracusano A, Lenzi A, Jannini EA. Psychoticism, immature defense mechanisms and a fearful attachment style are associated with a higher homophobic attitude. J Sex Med 2015;12:1953–1960.

TL;DR more homophobic people are more likely to show signs of psychoticism. Men are significantly more homophobic than women (expected). Takeaway: "immature defense mechanisms predict homophobia, highlighting that a negative attitude toward homosexuals is influenced once again by dysfunctional aspects of personality."

As far as the researchers and I know, this is the first or one of the first studies to investigate homophobia itself.

More info about psychoticism:
Psychoticism characterizes many aspects of human thought, but its delineation in a clinical setting pertains to, above all, severe psychopathologic conditions, such as delusion, isolation, and interpersonal alienation, but also hostility and anger. Psychoticism, assessed by SCL-90, is considered a possible predictor of psychotic states, such as schizophrenia, although it could be present also in personality disorders.

link to full article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/jsm.12975/

Yep, that was mentioned as well and makes sense.

Psychoticism sounds like a form of magic in an RPG that's powered off of people's insanity. Isn't the word psychosis usually used here instead?

"I cast level 3 psychoticism. An axe murderer is summoned and hacks you apart."

Perk: Psychotism

Gain +1 Attack, though you will be restricted to homophobic dialogue options when discussing homosexuality.

Opposite-sexo-phobia.

Disliking-of-oppositesexophobia-phobia.

Please, be tolerant!

:rolleyes:

Homophobes are not being discriminated against, they are tolerated quite well. Their behaviour is being phased out of society slowly but surely, as it should, because treating human beings with respect is a rather cool idea that the young whipper-snappers seem to be intent on advocating for.

The results of the study aren't particularly surprising but I feel it's important to have these particular results validated. It is not a case of "well, duh" for a large percentage of the population so I hope further research and analysis goes into this subject (and beyond).

Many people with rough or prejudiced childhoods go on to possess the same views or different radical viewpoints. I'd say most, personally. Better childcare and better youth education will go a long way in shifting this effect.

Regardless of the issue of homosexuality etc etc, it does seem that such studies are more political than scientific.
Reminds me of one a few months ago where the result was that far-right people are dumber than others. Well, yeah, but if they were all so dumb then why is the world having a drastic rise of far-right parties, including government parties in EU?

So, unfortunately, this kind of poorly based study is more of a trolling attempt rather than the much needed move forward if humans are actually to escape a host of current sad issues and divisions. TLDR it is mostly 'preaching to the choir', and this leads to wars between opposing choir-boys and cis/trans variants of them.

Regardless of the issue of homosexuality etc etc, it does seem that such studies are more political than scientific.
Reminds me of one a few months ago where the result was that far-right people are dumber than others. Well, yeah, but if they were all so dumb then why is the world having a drastic rise of far-right parties, including government parties in EU?

So, unfortunately, this kind of poorly based study is more of a trolling attempt rather than the much needed move forward if humans are actually to escape a host of current sad issues and divisions. TLDR it is mostly 'preaching to the choir', and this leads to wars between opposing choir-boys and cis/trans variants of them.

wat

People with "lesser intelligence" tend to lean towards extremist views. That doesn't mean smart people can't be extremists. It also doesn't mean that people who are extremists are blatantly dumb. I'd really like to see the study you're referring to and if it does indeed claim that people with far-right views are simply less intelligent no matter what.

It's also worth pointing out that this argument stems from quality of care, not quality of life. You can have a posh upbringing with all the necessities and still have a poor childhood if your parents actively instilled the belief that other human beings are inferior or horrifically flawed in you. This is a matter of psychology, not Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. The mental behavioural scales featured in the study fit well with the behaviours displayed by homophobes and related -phobes. That's not really political so much as clear fact. Desiring the reduced human rights of a human population is rather ill-advised and indication of something not working quite well in the 'ol squish container, aye?

^ In my defence, i meant that the greek yahoo domain likely just makes up such stories. I did read it there and recall finding it ludicrous as an article, and an obvious troll to GD or whatever ;)

Not surprising at all.

They should have also asked the participants their religious beliefs and how religious they considered themselves to be.

Not surprising at all.

They should have also asked the participants their religious beliefs and how religious they considered themselves to be.
I don't think mosques or churches should ban people with psychological disorders. It's not like they had a choice regarding their psychological disabilities. Maybe they were born that way.

Another one of those WEIRD studies, huh?

Homophobic behaviour and a negative attitude towards homosexuals are prevalent among the population.

According to what research? And among which population? The introduction mentions a EU investigation, but nothing about any such prevalence.

We demonstrated the involvement of psychoticism and immature defense mechanisms in homophobic attitudes

Interesting. At least the conclusion doesn't say that pschocitism and immature defense mechanisms are prevalent among the population, it merely advocates taking psychologic aspects into account with 'programs of prevention', whatever those may be.

Forma, 74% were Catholic, the remaining identifying as agnostic. I don't believe there was any follow up here, though the discussion acknowledges the role religion plays in homophobia.

According to what research? And among which population? The introduction mentions a EU investigation, but nothing about any such prevalence.

Do you live under a rock? It is evident if you interact with society at all. All populations.

Forma, 74% were Catholic, the remaining identifying as agnostic.

That's not very representative then.

It is evident if you interact with society at all. All populations.

Yes, that sounds like solid research... or an untested hypothesis. I don't know about you, but scientists need hard facts to start from. Preferably from previous research, since this is supposed to be a scientific study.

Top Bottom