How are the top 5 cities determined?

diovanti

Chieftain
I'm curious to how the top 5 cities are determined? I didn't see this listed in the War Academy's demographics article. The search feature doesn't like me searching for '5' or 'five' in my query :(

By size.

If there is a tie then I think it goes with the one with more procution, food and commerce.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, and that culture plays a large part (I'm guessing the largest part). I have had tiny cities atop that chart.

By size.

If there is a tie then I think it goes with the one with more procution, food and commerce.

So culture buildings and wonders don't count? That seems strange. Does anyone have the exact mechanics?

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, and that culture plays a large part (I'm guessing the largest part). I have had tiny cities atop that chart.

Really? I thought it was by size. Never really confirmed it though. Also it does look like it's by size, but maybe those are the cities with more culture?

I think I heard culture is the largest part but it isn't 100% of the determination (at least, maybe tile culture or some composite culture? Culture bombing doesn't always seem to get you ahead of established cities). Never really sure actually and never was too curious - large, cultured capital cities are usually up there anyway. I know this is probably annoying all responses so far have been guesses/not linking to another thread with the answer...maybe someone will find it though.

Hmm, I'm almost completely sure it's by culture. The cities at the top of the list are always the holy cities or ones with many wonders. I've never seen any connection to food/production/commerce.

It used to be dependent on size in Civ 1 and 2, not sure about 3. But in 4 it's definitely culture.

I think its completely culture.

Nope. I used the World Builder; Its 4000BC and there's no other players. Buildings make a difference.

Figure 1: Delhi has 1 culture + capitol. Bombay has 44 culture. Delhi is #1.
Figure 2: Delhi has 1 culture + capitol. Bombay has 45 culture. Bombay is #1.

I could always research this myself, however I don't usually like doing that since the internet has always beat me to it. I'm thinking about doing a text search on the game's files, does anyone have any idea of a good place to start?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 312
Your post backs up the culture idea since 45 is one more than 44. Do those cities have any buildings in them? Culture would also explain why it looks like wonders decide as they produce a lot of culture. I have noticed that cities with fewer wonders will top the list. So it matters wich wonders are in a city. The ones that produce the most culture.

Your post backs up the culture idea since 45 is one more than 44. Do those cities have any buildings in them? Culture would also explain why it looks like wonders decide as they produce a lot of culture. I have noticed that cities with fewer wonders will top the list. So it matters wich wonders are in a city. The ones that produce the most culture.

Delhi has a palace and nothing else. Bombay has nothing. The point I'm trying to make is that in example 1, Bombay has 44 times the culture of Delhi but Bombay its still ranked lower than Delhi. Make it 45 and then it overtakes Delhi. All this example really shows though is that its not simply the city with the greatest culture that's number one, there are other factors (like culture generating buildings even if they haven't had time to add significant even any culture). I'm wondering what they are and how important they are. I'll do some more tests, I was just hoping this was already researched.

I see. I didn't notice that it was Bombay with the 44 culture in the first pic. Maybe its culture production that decides it.

Looks like its in assets/python/screens/cvinfoscreen.py. Looks like its this line. I don't know python. Can somebody translate this to english for me?

Code:
iTotalCityValue = ((pCity.getCulture() / 5) + (pCity.getFoodRate() + pCity.getProductionRate() \
					+ pCity.calculateGoldRate())) * pCity.getPopulation()

Nope. I used the World Builder; Its 4000BC and there's no other players. Buildings make a difference.

Figure 1: Delhi has 1 culture + capitol. Bombay has 44 culture. Delhi is #1.
Figure 2: Delhi has 1 culture + capitol. Bombay has 45 culture. Bombay is #1.

I could always research this myself, however I don't usually like doing that since the internet has always beat me to it. I'm thinking about doing a text search on the game's files, does anyone have any idea of a good place to start?

I realised that that very day, Constantinope was way ahead of Mecca by 6000 culture points but Mecca was above it in the table. Oh and Constantinople has like 7700 culture points while Adrianople had about 1500 and its borders were still pressing up to the city, I don't get it :cry:

It looks like it involves total culture. Food, hammers, and gold production per turn. And population. I don't know what the \ stands for though.

Size matters too probably, cuz when I have really big cities early game, they seem to be in top 5 even with little buildings and no wonders.

I'm certain it also has to do with happiness and health too. I had a LoR game with revolutions on, and HRE spawned out of a newish Celtic city on a medium size island. To spice things up a bit, I improved the land nicely, and gave both HRE cities globe theater and national park, and the capitol ended up being in 3rd place, even though they spawned fairly late (less culture) and no wonders at all, and probably also because it was the biggest city in the world.

Top Bottom