1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How Are You Liking The Barbarians Game Mode?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by blackbutterfly, Feb 26, 2021.

?

How Do You Like Barbarian Game Mode

1. I love it! I will use it in every game.

2. Meh.

3. I may use it every now and again.

4. I won't use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

I am currently in the process of writing a 10-page essay on how to improve this game mode.

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Probably make the camps harder to take out, but hard to say if people would like that.

3. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

12 font times new roman, 1.5 spaced for critique, 2cm margins. Due in 3 days, 30% of your grade.

4. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Uggh, I thought it was 2.5cm margins. I will need to reevaluate.

Kjimmet and CoconutTank like this.
  5. Greywulf

Greywulf King

You gonna share it here when you're done? Interested in what you have to say.

Playing with the barbarian's improvement is a better experience than normal barbs by far, and I can never play the old way again, but that being said, the barbs turn into CS's too quickly, and perhaps new barb camps could spawn in when old camps are taken out, or something like that...I would like to see barbs even in late game, which doesn't seem to happen anymore.
    This is a new addition for the game series, as they have never improved on the barbarians before, but always kept them about the same (mindless attack bots), so we can't expect it to be perfect first time, and I'm still so grateful that now they have a degree of personality.

nauberry, DanQuayle and SammyKhalifa like this.
  6. James_Champagne

James_Champagne Warlord

I'm just curious as to HOW to get the camps to become city-states in the first place. The game I'm on now I'm in the industrial era and not one single camp has become a city-state... the little bars above EVERY camp have been blank the entire game! Really wish the CIV VI wiki would provide more info on this topic...

7. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

Honestly I think this game mode would be improved so much if they just dropped the conversion to CS.

Bribing barbarians to leave you alone/attack others results in them spawning more units, which quickly becomes a Danegeld scenario, or possibly creating the monster that devours you like the Romans did

8. jozef57

jozef57 Warlord

basically i love it, i was never a huge barbarian fan lol but it has been part of the game as long as i play(since 2) and usefull to get some gold and exp, but this i love to bits

Greywulf likes this.
  9. Greywulf

Greywulf King

I was never a barbarian fan before this, and always wanted them to do something with the barbarians. So much better than they were, that even though it's not perfect, I'm still enormously grateful, and finally happy to play a game without switching barbarians off. :)
    Hopefully the devs will tweak it a little, such as making it take long for them to turn into CS's, but I'm not complaining! :D

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

My experience from barb mode so far, after three game basically sums up to this:
    • The special interactions with the barb camps never come into play. The gold cost is way too high to justify using them, even if I had that kind of gold lying around. The AI, unsurprisingly, seems incapable of using them.
    • You're left with the choice between very few early city states or an overload of late game city states.
    • Barbs literally disappear from the game from medieval era, which may be seen as a blessing or a curse depending on your inclination.
    • Camps turn fairly fast into city states, and particularly camps in high-arctic biomes feel strange to turn into city states.
    • Under some circumstances, camps seem to form an even greater threat than before. I've had a horse camp show up with 5 coursers while I was still at archers and horsemen, which felt rather brutal.
    • The fact that you can't clear the camp on the same turn that you eliminate the defender is a slight nuisance to me.
    Overall my impression is "Meh", even though I will probably give it some more spins since at least it doesn't completely overload the game like some of the other modes do.

Wellfooled and DanQuayle like this.
  11. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Greywulf and Pietato like this.
  12. Abaxial

Abaxial King

I see that Spiffing Brit has used the barbarians mode to produce the most outrageous exploit yet - I would say unlimited gold, but it seems the game actually has a cap at just over eight million. At which point you can simply buy every great person at once. Not to mention as many units as you like.

13. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

14. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I've changed my mind, really enjoying this mode and the strategies involved with interacting with the Barbs. In my current game a Barb Camp appeared to my North in the tundra, it was really annoying as held back initial expansion but once I got it under control had to decide what to do, it ended up becoming Mitla after 100 turns which seems a fair timescale for conversion. Another Barb Camp was pumping out Immortals and Ngao Mbebas which was a bit scary!!

15. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

What is the exploit? As long for a friend...
    More seriously, I don't use exploits, but I'm curious about them.

16. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

Abaxial, Noble Zarkon and Linklite like this.
  17. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

18. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

What? Loot is one of the two first promotions available to a naval raider.

As Spif shows on his Youtube, use the naval raider on barbs to get the first promotion, Loot, and you're good to go. It's a very easy exploit, but you have to play as the Ottoman (with Barb Mode) to get Infinite Gold.

19. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I generally get promotions by fighting, and if there aren't enemy ship to fight, you don't get promotions. The last game I played as Dido on splintered fractal (trying to get as many small islands in a map as possible), and I think I probably had something like 5 naval combats the entire game, despite flooding the seas with various ships. Mostly fighting the Dutch.

20. Unmitigated Gaul

Unmitigated Gaul Chieftain

I played a recent game with it and it made the game a lot easier.

First, buying a warrior for 95 gold instead of building or buying it normally is a great deal. I bought 2 I think, and ended up with a reasonably strong defensive army at low cost while I built up a religious infrastructure

Second, I ended up getting Lahore, Valletta and Akkad to spawn in the snow/tundra to my north. In a normal game I would have probably settled that eventually just to build harbors and Ch and get trade routes, but converting them, using Georgias double envoy deal and then getting all the bonus gold from merchant confederation plus their suzerainty bonuses was a big boost and basically for free.

I think a big improvement would be for the camps to not start converting towards CS until a major Civ initiates some kind of relationship with them (buying a unit or paying them not to attack or whatever). Sending a recon unit into the snow in late classical era and saying “oh wow here’s Granada” probably wasn’t the intent.