1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how can computer games learn?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Narnia, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Narnia

Narnia Prince

Ok, before I get in trouble from everyone telling me how stupid computers are, there are a few games I can think of that do, in a way, learn from people. For example, the AI on Super smash bros Brawl for the Wii will "learn" to some degree and actually adopt the techniques of players. If you use one move too much, the AI will later start spamming that move, if you start using some more advanced techniques, the AI will start using them. If a really good player comes and plays the game at your house, the AI for the character they used will become 5x better than it was before (which is why a lv 9 Ness is now almost impossible to defeat on my system). How on earth did the programmers manage that? Is this "learning" or is it something else. What else can they program a computer to "learn"?

2. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Best way AI can learn is a neural net, but it's kinda complex to set up (not to mention hit & hiss), so most games have hardcoded rules instead.

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Why out of all methods is that the best?

5. taper

taper Meet Tux

Mario via AI evolution

Very simple AI learning, but it does work. If some random guy working from his basement can make this, a dedicated, professional group can do wonders if they're given the proper commercial support.