How could we improve MLS?

Such a cup wouldn't attract the likes of Juventus or Real Madrid, but some smaller European teams might be persuaded, especially since it could generate some extra revune. Bigger South American teams like Boca or River Plate might be into it as well.

If not, even a tournament of teams from CONCACAF countries might be an idea.

MLS has a salary cap, and it needs to be removed, and there definitely needs to be a better TV deal.

However, one thing that definitely needs to be changed is that MLS has to take a break for international competitions, just like almost every other league in the world.

As for international competition, there is the CONCACAF Champions Cup, but it is generally considered rubbish and Mexican teams don't really take it seriously since they have both the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana. We should get more entry into South American coompetitions, and I think DC United's participation in this year's Copa Sudamericana was a start. Perhaps LA will get in next year. Mexico, Honduras, Canada, and the USA have all participated in the Copa América, and continued participation will definitely be a good idea.

A cup between North American clubs and/or South American and European clubs is a good idea in theory, but to be honest, unless some sort of prize or incentive is included, it will be almost impossible to get clubs, even the smaller ones to take it seriously. Besides, playing smaller clubs will not be a good measure of success and even if there is money, it would still be hard to take it seriously. We will have the Copa Libertadores, which is a very prestigious competition, as well as the Copa Sudamericana, which isn't as prestigious but still important, so there would really be no need to set up an additional competition with South American. Also, why would we need to set up an USA-Europe cup too, especially when there is an annual World Club Championship where the best from each continent compete? There is no precedent of this except for maybe the World Club Cup, which was replaced by the World Club Championship anyways. All it would do would create fixture clogging and another competition that is not entirely necessary. Playing in South American competitions would be fine.

Lastly, I think its a bit ridiculous to have a 30 game season and keep 8 of the 12 teams for the playoffs. We should expand the MLS to include more teams and make the season a bit more meaningful. If we add 6 more teams (2-4 are on the way already), the we can make it more like the Mexican system where there are 3 groups of 6, with every team playing each other the same amount of times regardless of group, and the top two teams and the two best 3rd placed teams advance to some playoffs. Normally I'd suggest just a straight 18-team home-and-away league like in Europe, but given the role of play-offs in American sports culture, not having playoffs could be suicide for the MLS.

yeah, it wouldn't atract Juventes or Real or Chelsea, but the smaller clubs would be a better option. They aren't as star studded powerhouses, but they can offer much more comperable level of competition to MLS teams, where MLS teams could actually win. Just look at what happened to at the MLS all-star game when the team beat Fulham. so when you have a decent cup tourney that could go either way, it will gain prestiege eventually, then you will start getting the bigger teams in it.

posted before I saw yours naervod, but I would have to agree with most of your points. except the fixture cloging one. While it would be a bit for MLS teams, it wouldn't be so bad for European teams, becase, if held durring the summer, there aren't really an fixtures to clog.

The MLS-Fulham game was extremely lop-sided, Fulham was easily outclassed, and I think part of it was because they weren't taking it very seriously, it was just another pre-season friendly for them. If we can't get small clubs to take it seriously, then how will we improve it?

Who would fund it?

Just a suggestion:
The winner of the Champions League Cup play against Winner of the Libertadores Cup. Why not create a cup including the winner of the UEFA Cup and the Winner of the CONCACAF zone? If there is good sponsor support European teams will be attracted to it too.

That's pretty much what the club world championships are for.though CONCACAF champions leuage is a joke. I tried to find some info on it the other day, but there was nothing. I wanted to know who LA and New england were going to face, and get an idea of it, but CONCACAF itself hasne't updated the champions cup part of it site in over a year. Overall, that site seems very poorly run though.

The club world championship doesn't have an amazing reputation since it produces pointless games.

But a "world Championship" was really missing from footy. I mean, everyother spot has one, why not soccer? I hope it will become more popular, for the sake of growing the game outside of Europe and SA.

Its called football...

Anyway Rugby and cricket don't have a world club championship and in fact its hard to think of any sport that has a world club championship unless it is only played by a small number of countries that are close to each other. Also it hasn't been missing since there has been a world club game between the South American and European winners for many years.

Its called football...
it may be football but to me its as boring as Usfootball. give them rugby league balls and teach them the game.Or teach the aussie rules instead.It would probably help it out a lot.
Seriouslythey should remove the salary cap and institue better sponcership to get the teams and names better known for those new to the game.Soccer will never get as big as it is in the rest of the world unless theres money poured into it.Or somehow fix the girlie game mystique it has for most americans. TV wont ever properly show the games as they cant get in the comercials they can in other games.same reason rugby and League cant make headway here as well. and all 3 games rugby league and soccer are far superiour to most all US football with its start and stop and wait and wait the start and stop. after watching soccer or rugby you cant ever go back to boring us football. even a 0-0 tie has more action then the average football game in the US. Just somehow figure out how to get the masses invilved in the MLS. if I had the answer Id be running the MLS myself.

hey, welcome onionhead, but yeah, all three sports ate way more interesting than US football.

SoCalian said:
ok, one thing I think we could use, besides a better tv deal, is more meaningful international competition. The inclusion of DC in the copa sudamerica this year was a good start, and I hope it continues. That is a good route to competition against south american clubs, but what about against European clubs? I think that the US is in a very nice and unique position to become a place of fusion between the European and south American styles, and for compeating against both. That's why I propose that MLS or the USF hold a cup every summer between American and European teams. Call it the Transatlantic cup or something like that. It deosn't have to be big to start (16 teams?), and doesn't necisarily need to have the bigest clubs from Europe either. It just needs enough competition to spice up the MLS season a bit. I like the summer time slot, because it would be durring the middle of the MLS season when teams are in thier best form, and it is durring the European off season, when they are not in thier best form, thus giveing MLS teams a bit of a leg up, something that they need for thsi kind of competition. I could see a few teams wanting to participate for several reasons. 1) alure of hardware, another trophy to ad to the shelf is always nice. 2) Increase fan base abroad, especialy in the United States and Canada, and thus more money. 3) Pre season tours. a lot of the big clubs do this anyway, so giving them the option to come to america for a preseason competition could be more apealing than just a series of friendlies.

You are WAY behind. Ever heard of the Toyota Cup, also known as the "Intercontinental Cup"?

Well, it goes like this: For about the last 30 years or so, Toyota has been sponsoring a championship to determine the "best team of the planet". Such tournament went on without FIFA recognition and, while originally played as two games (home and away), later evolved to one single match in neutral territory - Japan.

The game used to feature the UEFA Champion vs the "Libertadoras Cup" Champion - basically, the best team of the season in both Europe and South America, the only places where top notch football (used to) happen.

While having a humble origin, the tournament grew in recognition, and in the last two decades, no team failed to send it's top squad to play - and it includes the likes of Manchester United, Real Madrid, São Paulo, Boca Juniors, Borussia Dortmund, Porto, Juventos, Grêmio, River Plate, all among the greatest teams of both continents which recently have had a shot at the title.

So great is the reputation of the tournament, that FIFA failed to take over in it's first attempt - in 2001, it created it's own club's cup, meant to outshine toyota's one, played here in Brazil, which featured Corinthians as World Champion. But it didn't went ahead, nobody really cared (except for supporters of Corinthians), and it never had a new edition.

Last year, FIFA surrended, and recognized all the titles of the former Toyota tournaments, embraced the tournament as it's own and rearrenged it to have now representatives of all countinents. This year, in the first actually FIFA featured Club's world cup, São Paulo FC, which has also won twice the former cup, was champion after a 1 x 0 victory over Liverpool FC. Here is Fifa's Toyota Cup Site.

This new tournament, which will happen once every year, already involves CONCACAF teams, represented in this ocasion by Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa.

As for the question posed in the thread, I've heard an interesting theory from a friend, who heard it from a US citzen which he met on a trip. He said that one of the reasons why US TV networks don't invest in Football (sorry, can't call it soccer) is because, due to the manner the game flows, it does not have much room for advertisement - only the half-time break, which is too long and allow people for a temporary channel swich. Hence, it's not interesting for transmission for a merely commercial POV.

So, while innevitable that it will grow, due not only to the cultural influence of the world, but also due to the growth of latino population in the US, the networks have little intention to facilitate the progress.

Any insights on this theory?

Regards :).

sounds plausible. and yes, I knew about that cup, but only found out recently.

Good, you see, steps are being taken. If there is one thing you can count with FIFA is to find smart ways to spread Football - they are very good at that job. And the US is a great market - I'm sure Blatter, just like Havelange did, dreams constantly of the dollars FIFA will make if he manages to convince the USA that the water is fine in this side of the argument (and that is the only imaginable reason for the 1994 WC having happened there).

Regards :).

I hope it catches on big here, I'm tired of being force fed the Super Bowl every year, with people thinking it's the biggest annual sporting event. Far more people watch the Champions leauge final, I know I stayed home from school to watch it last year, and I was not disapointed. Best match I have ever seen in any sport.

Oh, yeah, a great game. The most exciting games i've seen in this sport are the 1982 WC Brazil X Italy (a Brazilian defeat, unfortunately), the 1994 Libertadores CR Flamengo X São Paulo FC, which was pure magic (and I also skipped class to wtach it back then), and the 2001 thrilling CR Flamengo X CR Vasco da Gama, with a 3 X 1 victory of the former, in which the winner (and title goal) was scored by a majestic free kick from halfway to the midfield with a minute left to endgame.

You can see that free kick here (also note that our coach back than was none other than Zagallo, the only man involved in 4 WC wins in history of football).

And they say it's just a game... ;)

Naming the game where you play the ball with your foot 'football', would be a start.....

About the world championship for clubs:
The whole idea sounds a bit silly for some reason. If you win a worldcup with your club, you still cannot seriously claim to be the world champion. It simply does not work that way!

The idea of a worldcup for clubs as it was (the European Cup I / UEFA champions league winner vs the winner of the Copa Libertadores), was just fine, though still far less important than winning the European Cup.

Now, the FIFA came in, and is was immediately transformed into a ridiculous thing where inferior Costa Rica clubs can participate.

BTW:
The single most greatest game I have ever watched was Germany-Holland, semi final of the European Championship in 1988.

Top Bottom