HOW DO I EVICT HIM OFF MY CONTINENT? I can't declare war nor cancel his vassalage.

egaonogenki

Warlord
Look at that screenshot.

I NEED for that city to go, so I can build mine in the designated space as indicated by that sign.

However, I can't declare war, and he's a vassal. And as you can see by this next screenshot, I CANNOT CANCEL HIS VASSALAGE!

I tried sending a spy to cause an incident; so far, he's still friendly. I don't know whether sending spies will do enough damage to our relations.

What else CAN I do to get Suleiman to leave my continent? I don't care if this Ottoman's military units roam freely on it; I just need his city gone, so I can build mine where that sign indicates.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-06-12 02.23.33.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-06-12 02.23.33.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 233
There are a few posts around the strategy guides section regarding the mechanics of vassalage, you can't liberate them, they need to be bigger than a certain threshold (compared to you) to get liberated. And obviously that's something you never want to see in a game.

In any case, why do you want a new city on 1949 AD???? :eek::eek::eek:

If you actually NEED a city so late in the game, there's something terribly wrong with your strategy.

There are a few posts around the strategy guides section regarding the mechanics of vassalage, you can't liberate them, they need to be bigger than a certain threshold (compared to you) to get liberated. And obviously that's something you never want to see in a game.

In any case, why do you want a new city in 1949 AD???? :eek::eek::eek:

If you actually NEED a city so late in the game, there's something terribly wrong with your strategy.

I'm now in the late 1960s. How do I send you a gamesave so you can see what all is happening in my game?

The map is, IIRC, 256x160 and so LOT of land remains uncolonized. That's why I'm seeding colonies on other continents so I can soon grant independence to them and therefore diversify the planet.

BTW, you're saying I must somehow have the Ottoman Empire grow big enough to release it from my vassalage? Oh boy... that's a good challenge. How'll I bring that on?

I'm pretty sure the OP has different goals here than winning the game.

anyway... couldn't you just gift him a bunch of cities, so he goes over the pop or land limit, and then declare war and take them all back, and raze that one city? I'm not sure if that would work...

They don't seem to actually break free like that. I've had vassals on Deity that were bigger than me and they didn't try to break free.

I've had vassals with more cities than me too, but I think the threshold also includes population, and the difference they need to have is rather large. As I said, that's something you never want to see.

OP: you can attach your save files here, check the "advanced" options in your post. Anyway, just out of curiosity, what's your goal in this game? Whatever it is, if you are leading the game score without having finished the tech tree by 1940 I'm pretty sure the difficulty is low enough so that you can achieve it. I doubt you need that city at all.

OP: you can attach your save files here, check the "advanced" options in your post. Anyway, just out of curiosity, what's your goal in this game? Whatever it is, if you are leading the game score without having finished the tech tree by 1940 I'm pretty sure the difficulty is low enough so that you can achieve it. I doubt you need that city at all.

Here's my save file. Please, go ahead and take a look around once you get my game going.

BTW, I'll forewarn you: The load time is SEVERAL MINUTES. That's why if I don't get good results from a goody hut, when I reload the last gamesave, I pass the time by watching some YT videos, reading Reddit, or reading here.

Please feel free to cook a meal or do something productive to pass the time until the game's loaded up.

Also, where do I request the devs of CivFanatics to increase the attachment size limit for gamesaves from 2 MB? Looks like I'm VERY close to that limit.

Attachments

• Keurisu B2.19.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 236
I can check the game when I get home, but in the meantime, what's your goal? What did you want that city for that makes it so important?

Your best bet is to use cultural pressure. Rush build theatres in all the nearby cities and run artists. Rushbuild libraries as well. Build cathedrals. Use the spread culture espionage mission. Be patient.

BTW, I'll forewarn you: The load time is SEVERAL MINUTES. That's why if I don't get good results from a goody hut, when I reload the last gamesave, I pass the time by watching some YT videos, reading Reddit, or reading here.
About 45 sec load time... Whenever you reload, you should exit to main menu first. That cuts down reload time a lot.

As for your problem, he is very unlikely to break free no matter how big he grows, and he doesn't dare refuse resource demands.

But, there is a way... Join Saladin in the attack on Isabella and kill her down to 3 cities. Once she has 3 cities or less, you take peace and gift her Namyangju (an AI with 3 cities or less will accept a city gift anywhere in the world). Move a couple of defenders and a stack of offensive units into Namyangju territory and gift them to Isabella. Declare war on her again, which also puts her at war with Suleiman. Hope and pray that she uses the units you gifted her to capture Kayseri. You never know with the AI, but if she has enough units, she just might do it. After she takes out Kayseri, you raze it, wipe out her stack, take back Namyangju and feel good about what you accomplished. Complicated, yes. This is why you should be careful with taking vassals you don't want.

Your best bet is to use cultural pressure. Rush build theatres in all the nearby cities and run artists. Rushbuild libraries as well. Build cathedrals. Use the spread culture espionage mission. Be patient.

I have to agree with this, considering this city is surrounded by 5 of your cities.

It took me less than 1 minute to load the game. Conquering Spain sounds like it would take too long, not to mention gifting them enough tech so that the stack you give them is good enough, and even then they might not get the city anyway. Just build theaters and temples in all of those cities, as well as Christian cathedrals and Hindu mandirs, and you should get that city soon enough.

In any case, I'm really struggling trying to figure out what you are trying to do here. The game is already won, no one can beat you to the space race, and if you build some good cultural building in your 3 best culture cities you can get a cultural victory too (get hermitage, move culture slider to 100%, etc). What's the goal here? Whatever it is, you certainly don't need another city to achieve it.

use the cultural slider to apply some border pressure (if it really is that important) - maximizing culture in the neighbour cities should cause it to flip soon enough - spies on culture spread missions help too (btw, can anyone confirm if spy-revolts increase flip chances?)

UPDATE:

On June 14, I moved to a bigger city ~30 miles west of my old one so I haven't been back on CivFanatics until today. Here's what's happened since.

I built some extra Culture boosters in the cities surrounding Kayseri and sent more spies to spread Culture there. Unexpectedly, I got a diplomatic window from Suleiman sometime in the 1970s and he offered to GIFT me the city of Kayseri!

I accepted the gift. Kayseri is mine now. However, I haven't figured out a way to disband it.

I'd like to somehow dismantle that city so I can build a new one at the designated future city site near there. How do I? Or am I stuck with it?

In any case, I'm really struggling trying to figure out what you are trying to do here. The game is already won, no one can beat you to the space race, and if you build some good cultural building in your 3 best culture cities you can get a cultural victory too (get hermitage, move culture slider to 100%, etc). What's the goal here? Whatever it is, you certainly don't need another city to achieve it.

Actually, Hannibal won a Diplomatic Victory in c. 1984. I'm still working on the space race so I can have a victory too.

I also want to see my civilization's Life Expectancy hit 130 years on the Demographics screen. I know a spam of Future Tech advances will eventually get me there, since each Future Tech advance will add health to all my cities. That's why I'm rush-building Seowons (Unique building - Korean Universities) all over my empire to boost Research. I'm also working on getting recycling centers, hospitals, and other health-boosting structures built, in order to hit that goal faster.

By the way, the English Civilization was ended by a Barbarian conquest of London in 630 BC. That continent is still mostly empty, with London still a 12-pop Barbarian city as of January 1990. I'm going to colonize that continent by first liberating London (trivial, considering my recon-planes produced footage of still-ancient units guarding the fallen city) then I will name all subsequent cities on that continent with English names. After I fill it up, I will grant independence to all cities on that colony-continent and therefore resurrect the English!

My latest gamesave is now over the 2,048kb limit to attach here. Where else can I attach the gamesave for you all to download?

I accepted the gift. Kayseri is mine now. However, I haven't figured out a way to disband it.

I'd like to somehow dismantle that city so I can build a new one at the designated future city site near there. How do I? Or am I stuck with it?

The moment you get it with cultural influence you can disband it. I thought it was the same when they gift you the city (I don't play in difficulties in which I can get a city gifted since... many years ago), didn't the game give you the option to disband? Anyway, if you don't take that option immediately, the moment the city is yours, the game won't offer it to you again.

Actually, Hannibal won a Diplomatic Victory in c. 1984. I'm still working on the space race so I can have a victory too.

With a huge tech lead like the one you had, you should have built the UN so no one can beat you if your diplomacy isn't good. Also, the moment you saw everyone was friendly with Hannibal you should have used your extra techs to bribe them into war/embargo so they didn't vote for him.

I also want to see my civilization's Life Expectancy hit 130 years on the Demographics screen.

Ah, ok. In that case, yes, I guess future techs can get you there, I never tried that myself so I can't help you much with that.

My latest gamesave is now over the 2,048kb limit to attach here. Where else can I attach the gamesave for you all to download?

I don't think there's much more we can tell you about your game, most people here don't keep playing once they lost to the AI. For your goal of life expectancy future techs and hospitals are the right thing to do (I still don't know how disbanding that city and creating a new one fits into your plans, by the way). For space race, you should just get there eventually. Just get the cities with highest production to build SS parts and that's it. I don't think there's any other tips I can give you. Enjoy the rest of the game.

When an Ai city falls victim to your nations culture you are prompted with a choice. Accept the city which becomes one of yours. The other option is to reject the city, which automatically disbands it. There is no game mechanic for the player to deliberately disband a city. The only method to disband an Ai city is thru culture flip. Take the second choice to reject. Ai city goes poof, just like that.

I don't believe that's what he means. The city didn't flip culturally, Suleiman actually offered to give it to him on the trade screen.

I had this happen once in a forum game and Tachywaxon explained the mechanics to me in that thread. There's a very specific set of conditions that must occur. You have to control a certain number of the BFC tiles of the city within 10T 4T of it's founding. There might be some other requirement as well. If this occurs the AI will offer the city to you for free.

Edit:

Mechanics explained here and here.

If that city has never grown beyond size 1 you may be able to get rid of it by gifting an AI some military units just outside the city, declaring war on them, and letting them capture the city. If a city has never grown beyond S1 it will be auto-razed upon capture. You could ensure this by stagnating growth (work a citizen or something instead of a food tile). If it has grown beyond S1 there may not be anything you can do.

Top Bottom