How do we make an introduction/tutorial for new players?

Nightinggale

Deity
Once in a while when new ideas are being discussed, people go "this should be in the colopedia". Well yes, but honestly how many of you get a new game and the first thing you do is to read through all the pages in whatever pedia the game has?

We have two issues in this regard:
  1. People who never tried WTP before
  2. People who upgraded from the previous version
If we take the last one first, then how do we tell people what happened since last version? Right now we write a changelog and that's it.

People who haven't tried WTP before is also an issue. I would say given the age of Colonization and the vanilla reputation, we should consider this towards people who never tried Colonization before. In fact we have players who have never played BTS, only Colonization. It's not unreasonable to assume people buy Colonization on a steam sale, see people recommending a certain mod and then try out the mod without really knowing the game.

Thinking and researching this topic, I came across a bunch of youtube videos, which are quite interesting. It's an apparently avid gamer whose wife certainly isn't a gamer and when she decided to explore what he was spending time on, he recorded her introduction to games. It ended up being quite interesting when games are played by somebody who doesn't know what other people take for granted.
Spoiler :

Some of the results could be quite interesting for us. I will split the issue categories into the following:

How do I win this game?
This one is obvious in a lot of games. A racing game has the goal of getting to the goal first each time. The more freedom a player has, the harder it is to know without being told.

In WTP the goal is to declare independence, though there are other ways to win the game. Eliminating all other players is also obvious, but stuff like industrial victory isn't something people realize is there without being told.

What do I do now?
The end goal isn't enough. That's like starting a game in BTS and being told your goal is to build a spaceship and you go "but I'm in the stone age. How do stone age people build space ships? Should I wait for aliens to land and steal their UFOs?".

New players need some short term goals to figure out the game mechanics. The quests idea isn't bad for a tutorial, like in a tutorial game, you get a tutorial to found your first colony. Once founded, it will give you another quest, which when completed will give you another and so on.

New players need to be told how to accomplish very short term goals in order to be told the game mechanics.

How do I do that?
Once in a while the player is aware of what to do, but not how to do it. A good example would be change profession. "my lumberjack keeps producing food in the forest. How do I make him make lumber?" (real classic Colonization question). Getting started reveals a bunch of unexpected issues, which we take for granted. For instance you move units on the keypad, but what about numlock? What if it's a keypad less laptop?

Information overload
Explaining one thing and one thing is understood (hopefully). Explaining 10 things and 4 things are understood and two of them are forgotten once they become useful. In other words it's way more useful to explain one thing at a time and only explain concepts as they are being used.

This means "add concept to colopedia" will not be good enough. Colopedia should work as a reference for people to look up something, but it's not a great tool for teaching players how to get started.

Effects of randomness
The last video shows Minecraft. According to the video, you start by cutting down trees and use the wood to build a house. Due to playing on random maps, the player managed to start on a small island without any trees, hence failed to figure out that trees would be the goal on day one. We can have the same problem because each player starts within a certain distance of land, but the random maps will not promise useful land. I have managed to start next to a single plot island and then I restarted because I couldn't find anything else.

What do we do now with WTP?
It would be nice to add some form of tutorials. If we start out with "learn new stuff when you need them", then we could make a tutorial system, which adds popups on certain triggers, like entering the colony screen, entering the Europe screen, etc. Apparently RaR used to have something of that nature, but it was removed because it was really annoying. This means we need a new system for it.

I imagine remembering which tutorials have been displayed and if displayed, skip displaying the popup. This memory should be transferred between games (don't reset for each new game) and between gaming sessions. We can do that by assigning a name to each popup and save those in an xml file next to the dll file.

This system will also have the benefit of having experienced players having gone through all of the tutorials, then updating to a new version and suddenly there are more tutorials, which will pop up. However the old ones will not wake up. If nothing else, this will help to teach players about new features after they have upgraded to a new version.

Maybe add a menu of already displayed popups to allow the player to look up forgotten info. Here we can also reset the memory if the player wants all the messages ingame again.

What about completely new players?
This will not solve a bunch of the "brand new player" issues. For that we would likely need a tutorial scenario (one or more) with scenario specific events. That way the player can be walked through locating land, finding a suitable place to found a colony, build something, found another colony, set up a trade route etc. All of them being told one goal at a time with events (or event like system), which will not show up in normal games.

For this to work, we can add a tutorial flag to the scenario files. If that's the only way to set it and events can only trigger if a specific flag is set, then we will have scenario specific events.

What else?
Anything else we can do to make it easier for people to get into the game mechanics?

While I think what I wrote here would be good, ideally we would like something, which is less time consuming to implement. Particularly setting up scenario(s) to explain everything could take a while.

Well, when I tried to get started with new games in the last years I simply started watching YouTube-Tutorial-Let'sPlays.
Sometimes I was also visiting the forums and read threads on "Strategy and Tips".

Creating those is of course very time consuming but at the same time it might be fun to do for some people.
Our own time is currently really limitted. But maybe somebody from community would be interested?

Is there anybody who is interested to create such "YouTube-Tutorial-Let'sPlays" or write a thread on "Strategy and Tips"?
It would definitely be appreciated by community and team. People that support us like that would also get "Supporter Status".

@Nightinggale
Most of your ideas sound good. :thumbsup:
I am just not really a fan of "Tutorial Scenarios" because I always felt they were a wasted effort in games. :dunno:

Summary:
  • Colopedia: We still have to describe all new features in WTP as already done before in TAC or RaR.
  • Tutorial Quests: If we use them limitted, immersively and give the player a tiny reward it sounds good to me. (Ideally as a Game Option)
  • Tutorial Scenarios: I am not a fan of it. Only a tiny percentage of players will use it. It will be too much effort for almost no benefit.
  • Tutorial-Let'sPlays: Maybe we will find supporters from community.
  • "Strategy and Tips": Maybe we will find supporters from community.

Last edited:
I think that we as developers should not really worry about this. If we put our efforts into producing a quality mod, then I am certain that "Let's play WTP" videos will appear on Youtube in no time :p

As for a tutorial, perhaps some of our veteran players would like to help out :)

If we put our efforts into producing a quality mod, then I am certain that "Let's play WTP" videos will appear on Youtube in no time :p
That is generally true, but effects between "Quality" and "Community" occur in both directions. :)
Thus it is always good to tackle both aspects in parallel.

Quality (Mod / Service) --> interested community --> Community Support
Community Support --> freeing capacity in team --> Quality (Mod / Service)

As for a tutorial, perhaps some of our veteran players would like to help out :)
Would be great. :)

Downloading the mod now. A guide would be awesome. Someone in the community should post a let's play!

I'll do all these things on the Twitch channel. Give it a follow by the way - it really helps on increasing reach.
If possible could I ask for patch notes roughly a week in advance to be able to prepare for a stream upon release?
Also I suggest we send all strategy and basic questions to the Twitch channel from now on. It's perfect content there and no need for everybody (especially the busy programmers) to read and answer these things over and over in the forum.

Thanks a lot for your effort and support. :thumbsup:
I joined your channel and will watch from time to time.

We will probalby finish an other internal version ("small features") in the next days and send it to you, so you could show it in your streams. :)
It will already contain a few more small features and several other improvements. It would be a teaser for community to "shorten" their waiting time for our release.

Edit:
We will also try to send you a proper list of changes. :thumbsup:

Downloading the mod now. A guide would be awesome. Someone in the community should post a let's play!

Ill do a basic walk trough on the channel soon. Maybe tomorrow Wednesday.

When I downloaded the mod, the first thing I did was read all the Colopedia articles on things that were different from vanilla! Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to find those articles comprehensive and clear. Just about the only things I couldn't find in there are, like, how likely slaves/servants are to run away, and how quickly Fishing Boats gather.

how likely slaves/servants are to run away, and how quickly Fishing Boats gather.
Risk of fleeing is currently 1%, except for criminals, where it's 1.5%. It can be configured in globalDefinesALT, but it's a combination of 3 numbers rather than just a single one.

Units gathering resources from the map gathers the count provided by the plot by non-experts, except they will gather 10 if the plot provides less than 10. This is not configurable in xml.

Well spotted regarding useful info, which isn't mentioned in the colopedia.

Top Bottom