How do you conquer your enemies faster?

bob_x

Warlord
I blew an Emperor game because it took me too long to conquer my enemies. While I was doing this, Ramses was building up his empire, and then he attacked me and he had the superior technology and Emperor-level numbers of units.

So what are some tips for taking over the enemy quickly? I was using Cannons, and after you take over a city, you have to rest, and wait for more Cannons to be built, and then you have to slowly move in on the next city, one square at a time. I wasted too much time doing this.

Perhaps I shouldn't have started a war until I had TWO stacks of doom instead of just one.

I don't know if its the best strategy, but I like to build up enough siege and occupation troops that I don't have to reinforce my army. Also, not every unit needs to be topped off to keep an advance going because I'll have so many siege units that some won't see action at the next battle.

Depending on how large the target empire is and how large your overall unit count is, I'd say that it can help to separate into 2 (or in later parts of the game 3 or more) stacks and crush your enemy from multiple fronts.

I used to use just 1 massive stack, but I often found that I was crushing everything I came across and a ton of units were not being used. Meanwhile the war's progress was limited by my stack's movement speed and the target civ would have time to slave out defensive units further slowing my progress (on quick speed this can actually become decisive).

Another thing is you should burn a lot of cities to the ground so you don't need to leave defenders behind. Focus on offense. I like using imperialistic leaders anyways so building a settler is quite cheap and easy.

I always plan my invasions quite far in advance, and go for the blitzkrieg style attacks. If I take out 5 of their cities within the first few turns of the war (capital especially) it tends to knock a LOT of wind out of their sails.

I also usually play maps with a fair bit of water, which makes that tactic a bit easier to pull off. I'm sure it can be done on an all land map though, as that's how it historically worked. :p

I was using Cannons, and after you take over a city, you have to rest, and wait for more Cannons to be built, and then you have to slowly move in on the next city, one square at a time. I wasted too much time doing this.

Why would have to spend so much time resting? Just keep moving with whatever healthy units you still have and let the rest catch up after they've healed. Or you could just forget about having them heal and just not use the wounded units in the next battle. They'll still heal, just more slowly. And always be sure to have at least one healer unit in your stack. Also, if you're waiting for Cannon reinforcements then you're not building enough of them in the first place.

The simplest trick is to withhold unit promotions and use them to heal your units. When you promote a unit, it gives half the lost health back to the unit. Imo, this is the main reason charismatic is such a good trait.

Another trick is to build the bare minimum units to take out their stack + a few boarder cities quickly. Then I sign a peace treaty as soon as available. 10 turns later when my units are healed, and i have a few more siege built, i declare again and take a few more cities. Rinse/repeat.
You don't actually conquer faster, but you spend a lot less time actually at war, and you can declare sooner w/ less units, and your (non-siege) units up build more XP. Of course... make sure to plan out the 'you declared war on our friend' modifiers properly or you'll be screwed.

almost forgot: give cannons city raider to increase the survival rate.

Depending on how large the target empire is and how large your overall unit count is, I'd say that it can help to separate into 2 (or in later parts of the game 3 or more) stacks and crush your enemy from multiple fronts.

I used to use just 1 massive stack, but I often found that I was crushing everything I came across and a ton of units were not being used. Meanwhile the war's progress was limited by my stack's movement speed and the target civ would have time to slave out defensive units further slowing my progress (on quick speed this can actually become decisive).

Another thing is you should burn a lot of cities to the ground so you don't need to leave defenders behind. Focus on offense. I like using imperialistic leaders anyways so building a settler is quite cheap and easy.

I run into the same problems. I've found that I recombine for a great stack just as the Railroad tech comes around because the enemy can mass a stack easier. I begin to split again when I get factories to increase production. Or a tech lead.

That's an idea, I've probably used something like it. I do prefer making certain that my stack o' doom is overkill and heading for, if not knockout punches, then really devastating "might as well be dead" quick wars. One problem with a stack o' doom already mentioned is that often not everyone's being used often enough, in that case, I'll fan out a bit. Probably an obvious "of course" mention should be made, something that I'd forget because I lose focus and start building or defending or wanting everyone to sing Kumbaya, is that a clear intent to kill every mother&%*%^ on the continent goes a long way towards focusing on the kill. Don't leave decent people alone.

Top Bottom