• We need to know your opinion about our social media accounts! Tell us here if you follow us on social media and what we could improve.

How do you control the "one more turn" urge?

As for me, I really like Civ 6, but most of the time forcefully exit the game after a few hours, frustrated that I spent too much time on it ) The more time I play on end, the less productive I become. The thing is, you can't finish a Civ game (even though I play on a tiny map) in two or three hours, so I usually aim to spend 1-1.5 hours per day playing, which should take several days for a single game. But... there is this one more turn thing)

Put watching Star Trek shows in you daily routine. It helps me!

I try to make sure that I save the game every 10 turns, with a quick save on the 5-turn midpoint. In case I make a really bad decision. Each 10 turn "chunk" is a good break point to stand up, walk around, and consider whether to go to bed.

As for me, I really like Civ 6, but most of the time forcefully exit the game after a few hours, frustrated that I spent too much time on it ) The more time I play on end, the less productive I become. The thing is, you can't finish a Civ game (even though I play on a tiny map) in two or three hours, so I usually aim to spend 1-1.5 hours per day playing, which should take several days for a single game. But... there is this one more turn thing)
I can actually relate to this. Playing Civ after getting home often eats into my homework, so recently my unintentional solution has been to not play/think about Civ that much over the past months.

I’d love to get back into it, with reasonable play sessions.

I don't think I could only sit down and play for a couple of hours. I make sure when I plan to play that I don't have anything else to do. :mischief:

My answer: two computers, one PC for gaming, and the Mac I do all my work on. With Civ's turn-based system, it's easy to work on both near-simultaneously.
My only problem is, since most of what I'm working on now is WWII Soviet military history, I don't dare play Russia in Civ VI or I will get confused - start looking for Peter the Great's tank brigades around Moscow, which aren't there and won't be there in the game for another three Eras!

My answer: two computers, one PC for gaming, and the Mac I do all my work on. With Civ's turn-based system, it's easy to work on both near-simultaneously.
My only problem is, since most of what I'm working on now is WWII Soviet military history, I don't dare play Russia in Civ VI or I will get confused - start looking for Peter the Great's tank brigades around Moscow, which aren't there and won't be there in the game for another three Eras!
I guess this multitasking approach is not for me) I like/need to be contentrated on one thing at a time.

I don't think I could only sit down and play for a couple of hours. I make sure when I plan to play that I don't have anything else to do. :mischief:
I use a convertible standing desk for my gaming PC. After 1-1/2 to 2 hours, I am ready to either (1) stop, rest my eyes, and take a break or, (2) lower to sitting configuration and continue playing.

Supposedly, I switch between standing/sitting configurations every hour. I've even done it a few times.

Silly Addendum: So last evening (6pm), I played for 1-1/2 hours standing, sat down and continued playing ...
and One More Turned until 12:30am! I haven't had such a long session in a couple years, at least. OMT is so much easier while sitting down; gotta watch out for that.

Last edited:
I try to only play 100 turns and I can guesstimate where I am and how the game will end from there.
Sometimes I know the game is over, but I play into the 200's because I'm a Civfanatic.

EDIT: In the last two years I got hooked on PGA 2k23 and DCS World so that helped my Civ-Addiction.
Looking forward to Civ 7 bringing me back into the fold.

When you put that difficulty that makes the other civilizations difficult, I hardly take it easy to get that last turn. I usually lose to the ai but it's a challenge. If I want to win, I lower the difficulty and play until I win and get my score. I reroll a new game afterwards.

When you put that difficulty that makes the other civilizations difficult, I hardly take it easy to get that last turn. I usually lose to the ai but it's a challenge. If I want to win, I lower the difficulty and play until I win and get my score. I reroll a new game afterwards.
So you can play for hours and hours on end, up to 24 hours maybe?

Top Bottom