How do you pick your civ?

What influence(s) make you pick a certain civ?

• Its your home country

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Civilization traits

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • Unique Unit

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Name of country

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • You've been there

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggressiveness

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Well, I usually play based on the traits or the UU. I definately prefer having some traits over others (love scientific, while expansionist just doesn't seem worth it). Also, I'll pick them based on UU, if I plan to do any warmongering.

None of these.

I have many games going at once. Also I keep games going after 2050 so I have to balance it out. If there's a russian, german, and japanese game going on, I won't pick those civs. One time I had to Japanese games going simotaneously, and it was hell to pick out which one was which one...

I almost exclusively play random pick.

ANYTHING EXPANSIONIST!! I love this trait and the lead it can give me in the beginning of the game. And religious, only one turn of anarchy is great. Traits, definately.

Random is the way.

For me it depends on what level I'm playing. Toward the lower levels I usually go for someone Scientific and/or Industrious and win off sheer output. Towards higher levels I go for Militaristic or Expansionist traits. Expansionist atributes are worthless after the first age, but they can help make sure you don't get smoked early on until you've conquered a neighbor or two and can stay with the tech in trading for peace.

A UU is also a big consideration as I'm very picky about my GA. Sadly for that reason, I NEVER play America.

Traits, UU is the things I think about when I pick. Otherwise I go Random...

I play Vikings cause I like Zeppelin's immigrant song

Random.

But if its online games, some good early civilization like Persia, Iriqouis, or the Celts.

For PBEM games, I have repeatedly chosen the Carthaginians :)

The good thing about expansionistic is the scouts. You start the game with one so you can explore early. You should build at least one more ASAP. This will give you a better view of your surroundings and let your next cities be at better spots. The other advantage of expansionistic is that they never trigger barbs from goody huts and seem to get better results in general (more chance of techs and free cities).

Some people mistakenly think that they are only valuable on huge pangaea worlds, but I find that even on standard maps I will hit the ground running with them. Other people don't like them because there is a chance you won't find anything in the huts anyways or that you are on an island. Yes, it happens, I can remember 2 or 3 starts where this was the case (out of dozens as expansionistic).

The type of map you play on certainly determines your choice wrt the UU. If you play oncontinents, you will not choose England, with a ship as UU. Also, I don't build very much aircraft, so such a civ is also out of the question. Mostly I go for Carthage (Numidian mercenary) or Ottomans (Sipahi - VERY strong for their age).

Originally posted by piderman
The type of map you play on certainly determines your choice wrt the UU.

I usually consider map and traits to come up with an idea for a game, and if the UU fits, play it out. For instance: Large/Continents/max.land/China. Since this is stacking the deck I try to play higher levels, keep barbs high, and sometimes make sure to include the civs that traditionally give me a headache.

going back to whythe expansionist is good, does anybody play with an expansionist on archapalgio (very bad sp.) out of choice. then you will see how pointless the trait can be.

Originally posted by farting bob
going back to whythe expansionist is good, does anybody play with an expansionist on archapalgio (very bad sp.) out of choice. then you will see how pointless the trait can be.
Not really, if you are England you get your Golden Age with the Great Lighthouse because of that...

Top Bottom