How do you rate Civ V after the first 4 weeks?

How do you rate Civ V?

• A = Excellent

Votes: 76 10.0%
  • B = Good

Votes: 223 29.2%
  • C = Average

Votes: 155 20.3%
  • D = Below par

Votes: 203 26.6%
  • F = Total failure

Votes: 106 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PS - the music is much better than Civ IV (bar the "medieval" choral stuff in Civ IV which I loved) both in terms of the content and how it works in the context of the game.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. For me, the music in Civ IV (vanilla, which I am playing these days) is much nicer than the one in Civ V (which does have some classical music pieces that are beautiful, though). The amount of splendid music in Civ IV is staggering.

I gave it a B. Mainly because yesterday I reinstalled and played a couple hours of Civ 4 with no real jump in enjoyment over Civ 5.

It's a C and only average at present but not anywhere near time to give up on it yet. It does have potential and I am back playing again after essentially dropping out of playing Civ4 anymore. With such a devoted community, it certainly has a good chance at being really successful.

I'm not giving up hope yet.

B, probably B- considering all the technical/UI bugs.

But I'm playing it more as a sim. If I had to rate it strictly as a strategy game, and considering the quality of the AI, then C- or D.

I did give it a D. I really hoped it would be a step up from IV, which I love. Instead this looks like the one where they kicked out the "Sid Meier's" in front and made a total change and it was no longer counted a proper Civ game.

Been playing it for over a week, but then realized it was just some glossy console-wannabe. I don't want Civ dumbed down, I want it better, even if that means more complex!

So today it was simply bye-bye Steam/Civ 5. Debating if I should toss the disc and box in the trash, or just keep it as a memento in the box with all the old outdated games I can never bring myself to throw away...

Now back to Civ IV and decent load times, too!!!

i gave it a D, after a month of playing i miss the strategic city placement, happiness, resources, different resources gave a building speed to wonders ( now it's only marble), etc etc

Once again the opinions of people liking and hating the game is still divided.

A = Excellent 38
B = Good 116
Combined total of -154

D = Below par 98
F = Total failure 52
Combined total of - 150

Of course there is a margin of error that whomever voted excellent, there is a likelihood of all 38 of them are employees of Firaxis, and 2K games. I would say half of the people who had voted good are either trolls or casual gamers. :D
And I would say anyone who voted F is either a troll or someone who never liked the Civ series to begin with.
Moderator Action: Don't troll here.

I haven't voted - cos I haven't got Civ V yet.

As a Civ I vet with 15 years of lost weekends behind me, I followed my instinct after the Civ IV debacle, and I'm waiting for the first root and branch Patch!

I'll vote around March time, probably.....;)

And I would say anyone who voted F is either a troll or someone who never liked the Civ series to begin with.
I have a simple question for you: what gives you the right to insult other people, whose only fault is to disagree with you?
Moderator Action: Don't respond to trolls, report them.

B. The AI and balance issues should be worked on, otherwise just great.

I voted a D. I think the game has great potential but right now, it's boring and has no qualities that make me want to continue playing it after beating it a number of times at Deity.

A typical game for me:
  • Build a worker
  • Spam settlers
  • Go for artillery techs (ridiculously overpowered)
  • Take enemies down one by one
I don't really focus on building tech buildings, culture buildings or anything really - just keep happiness on the safe side. Spamming cities are cheaper, faster and more rewarding in the long run than building up cities and then expand. There's no real choice here. This is obviously a problem with how global happiness works... and tech... and culture... hmm.

One of the things that took quite a bit of time in civ4 was my workers, but in civ5 you basicly build trading posts all over the place. There's no risk or ramp-up time like in civ4 with cottages. The various terrain yields are very close to each other, and I don't really bother with finding the perfect spot for cities anymore - there isn't one anyway, when you want to fill every available spot with cities anyway.

The amazing AI the developers were talking about as almost human opponents, seems more like a deaf-mute, blind, braindead monkey. The diplomacy is very vague in some of it's options. Why form a pact of secrecy against another dumb AI? Whats the point? Is it a mindgame that has nothing to do with the game itself? Is this the infamous theory that mr. Meier was talking about; "What the gamer can imagine, is cheaper than what we as developers can program/produce"? Either Firaxis lied to us, or they are as incompetent as that previously mentioned monkey.

I usually played germans in civ4, but in civ5 their unique trait is worthless when I toggle off barbarians because the AI can't even handle the barbarians :S I noticed a few other civs had this misfortune when toggling off other settings. It's a minor issue, but still a bit odd. It seems like there was a lack of creativity when implementing this feature.

What should have been a moment of triumph and success, turned out to be the killing blow to civ5 (for me). I am talking about the first time I won a game. It felt so... BAM! The end! No replay, no graphs, no statistics. I was like: "really? This must be a bug". But it seems like it was another faulty design decision.

There are many things I like about civ5, but it is completely obliterated by terrible core game mechanics. I gave it an F, but I still think it can get better. When you hit rock-bottom it can only go up afterall. The franchise has always been about choice - the better choice of two evils. Civ5 turned that upside down, and placed us on the oneway-super-highway to victory with no exit lanes. That does not offer any replayablitity at all. It compares to cars - it's fun when you get to drive a car for the first time, but when you drive the same route to work each morning, then it's suddenly not so much fun.

Will I buy expansions? Maybe... but I am certainly expecting major patches that fixes the vanilla version, otherwise there's no point.

TLDR: F

I'm glad I didn't waste my money. I knew when the first details of the game were announced that it would not be up to my standards (check my posts). Even with the positive reviews it received from game sites, it was obvious that this game was CivRev repackaged to their PC consumers (although after lurking and reading some other reactions, it seems it doesn't even reach those standards 0_0). For those who enjoy the game, fine. Enjoy it. It's yours. I don't want it.

This game will never be Civilization V to me. Doesn't exist. Not buying it.

D right now, once they fix the military AI it'll be a B, and from there it could be an A with additional tweaking.

Lots of potential, but it's definitely a beta right now, and I'm pissed that I bought it, and I'm done listening to Metacritic for reviews since none of those "critics" have any clue what they're talking about.

a straight D from me

Gave it a go for 1 week but just did not get into it at all, tried a few Mods to increase food and cut down on the roads maintenance etc.

the whole getting lost in the game for hours at a time was just not there, will keep going back now and again to see if there is any good comments on development but more than happy playing Civ 4, BTS with LOR mod.

B from me.

When I go back to IV, I find myself wanting to play V. But when I play V, while I still have an enjoyable time, I get annoyed at the balance/AI/Lack-of-info issues. But the first major patch has improved it slightly, so with further patches, mods and maybe expansion pack/s, I think there's a decent chance of it becoming an A.

Top Bottom