How do you spend your spare time?

You say consent is impossible, I say it doesn't exist. That's a game changer.

No it isn't. If consent is impossible, it obviously can't exist.

And you sir are a spelling nazi. ;)

I don't actually care: as I said above, it is for your information. If you don't care about the right spelling, that's fine with me.

There is no problem to get around. Somebody being asleep is still a somebody and very much exists.

So now you're specifying non-existence, rather than non-perception or non-sentience, as the condition for when consent becomes morally irrelevant?

Here is another question: given that existence inevitably entails suffering and things that do not exist do not suffer, how can it be morally permissible to inflict suffering on another human being without consent?

BTW for those wondering what this all has to do with the thread topic, the answer is clearly that I spent a good amount of my spare time arguing minutely about philosophical topics with no practical value

No it isn't. If consent is impossible, it obviously can't exist.
I disagree. So we will come to different conclusions and arguing it is futile.

That consent/or lack of it can exist when the entity doesn't.

and if it's not related to work, which isn't the most exciting of things, I am finding that I really have nothing to say.

Unfortunately my outlook on life changed after my break up with my ex. I thought it (meaning my outlook) might be temporary, but it seems permanent. Maybe it's depression, but it seems like it's more than that. That I've changed, and just given up on some things in life. And I lost motivation for a lot of things and become more hermit like. Maybe that's because I'm getting older. Probably not healthy, but I have no desire to change my ways. So it is what it is.

I feel you're deliberately manufacturing a false paradox, so you can try to force a conclusion you've predetermined (that being to say having children is immoral).

You can't ask for someone's consent to come into creation, because he or she hasn't been born and you can't ask. I don't agree with your anesthesia comparison, because you certainly can ask someone for consent for procedures before you put her unconscious for operation, but you're creating a false comparison to pre-birth, I don't see how those two are similar at all so I don't feel you're right applying misleading equivalency.

My understanding is if your criteria's impossible, you've got to use something else. You can't ask for someone's consent for birth, so you can't use asking for consent as a moral judgement. So you'd need to find something else, like maybe your fitness as a parent and what environment you'd be raising your child in.

I'd agree with Lexicus that consent matters here. I feel it's a bit like someone hiding a bomb that's set to go off in an area that will surely be crowded in, say, 150 years. It isn't going to kill anyone who yet exists, but will kill future people. Just like having kids who are destined to experience suffering and death.

Actually it's arguably worse to have kids, since the bomb might not go off, or the area might be empty in the future--but having kids is a guarantee of suffering and death for a person who didn't agree to any of it. If you're going to put someone on a wild roller coaster that can be fun but will definitely hurt and eventually kill them, you really need to get their consent. Since it's impossible to get consent from the unborn or un-conceived, it's probably wrong to have kids.

I don't go around saying this though, because most people are rather emotionally vested in the idea of having kids, whether they're the parents or not.

Suffering is part of life. Death is part of life. But life beats the alternative. And it's a gift I have no problem passing on.
But yes, it's all opinion.

Suffering is part of life. Death is part of life. But life beats the alternative. And it's a gift I have no problem passing on.
How would you know what the alternative (non-existence) is like? I'd argue the absence of sensation is better than the presence of the nastiness that is life, and I could probably never forgive myself for having a child. Of course, I don't hold other people to that standard. It requires uncomfortable thinking to reach, especially since most societies affirm life is good and must be continued. I can't blame people for believing that.

That consent/or lack of it can exist when the entity doesn't.

So you claim that consent can exist when the entity doesn't exist? This isn't really any more clear than just saying "I disagree."

I feel you're deliberately manufacturing a false paradox, so you can try to force a conclusion you've predetermined (that being to say having children is immoral).

On the contrary, I feel that having children is immoral is sort of the inescapable conclusion of the reasoning I have laid out. I stumbled upon these ideas quite by accident, and as I already said (poking fun at myself), this is a subject of very little practical value, so I'm not deeply invested in the position that it is immoral to have children. I would describe myself maybe as a tentative anti-natalist.

You can't ask for someone's consent to come into creation, because he or she hasn't been born and you can't ask. I don't agree with your anesthesia comparison, because you certainly can ask someone for consent for procedures before you put her unconscious for operation, but you're creating a false comparison to pre-birth, I don't see how those two are similar at all so I don't feel you're right applying misleading equivalency.

Again, those points were simply a response to what Synsensa said, I was not saying that I believe pre-birth and being under anesthesia are equivalent. The answer as to how they are similar is the condition Synsensa had initially specified: non-perception or non-sentience.

My understanding is if your criteria's impossible, you've got to use something else. You can't ask for someone's consent for birth, so you can't use asking for consent as a moral judgement. So you'd need to find something else, like maybe your fitness as a parent and what environment you'd be raising your child in.

On the contrary the obvious conclusion, as illustrated e.g. in the case of a rape victim who is too inebriated to consent to sex, is that if consent is impossible to obtain, it is a moral imperative to proceed as if we do not have it.

One possible objection to this is of course the Good Samaritan case: for example, an unconscious person can be presumed to consent to first aid. There are laws which prevent a Good Samaritan in those cases from incurring legal liability. It would be easy enough to posit a similar exception for the case of birth, but we should be clear that this is what we're doing.

It is an opinion that is obviously a product of the fact that coming into existence creates a strong preference for continuing to exist. Death would plainly be a matter of profound indifference to something that had never come into existence in the first place. This is actually an important part of the argument here, because this desire combined with the knowledge that existence will end entails suffering.

It requires uncomfortable thinking to reach, especially since most societies affirm life is good and must be continued. I can't blame people for believing that.

Indeed. Viewed from the right angle, literally all of human culture can be seen as an elaborate avoidance mechanism (avoiding the fact that existence will end and that this sucks if you happen to already exist), so it is hardly surprising that people should react defensively, even angrily, at the suggestion that non-existence is to be preferred.

Last edited:
How would you know what the alternative (non-existence) is like?
I don't remember, but I know life, and I think I'll keep doing it as long as it's still a joy. A bird in the hand and all that.

So you claim that consent can exist when the entity doesn't exist?
No, I said that's were we disagree. Existence is a prerequisite for consent.

I don't remember, but I know life, and I think I'll keep doing it as long as it's still a joy. A bird in the hand and all that.
Sometimes that bird is an angry eagle, and you don't have any gloves.

Still beats the alternative (from my viewpoint)

No, I said that's were we disagree. Existence is a prerequisite for consent.

I'm still not seeing where we disagree since "existence is a prerequisite for consent" is what I've been saying this whole time.

Still beats the alternative (from my viewpoint)
Eagles are cool and all, but I'd rather never have hands than get them mangled by talons all the time and then have them ripped off and carried away to a nest.

Life can have its moments, but I'd rather not exist than endure decades of unpleasantness followed by a painful exit.

Ok, so we agree, a baby can't consent to being born so It is not an issue. Consent isn't a requirement.

Saying it is, is just plain silly.

Eagles are cool and all, but I'd rather never have hands than get them mangled by talons all the time and then have them ripped off and carried away to a nest.

Life can have its moments, but I'd rather not exist than endure decades of unpleasantness followed by a painful exit.
Sorry, my opinion has been colored by 65 years of a different experience.

Ok, so we agree, a baby can't consent to being born so It is not an issue. Consent isn't a requirement.

Saying it is, is just plain silly.

The drunk person cannot consent to sex so it is not an issue. The sleeping person cannot consent to having a penis drawn on their forehead so it is not an issue.

Saying it is, is plain silly.

Sorry, my opinion has been colored by 65 years of a different experience.
Some people like life. Others hate it. Giving the "gift" of life entails the risk that the receiver will hate it and can't always easily return it. I for one see life as a tedious chore.

Top Bottom