How do you use Sea Dogs to capture ships?

Given the description, the Sea Dog (English UU) can capture other ships. But I don't see how? Clicking on other ships will just bombard them until they sink, even if I am up close and I don't see a take ship button. what am I overlooking?

thanks in advance!

I don't think the Sea Dog works. I think I saw someone say that he could get it to work in Hotseat.
Some things seem different in Hotseat.

I don't think the Sea Dog works. I think I saw someone say that he could get it to work in Hotseat.

Yes. One of these days I am going to fire up a hotseat game and see how it actually works.

I've tested them in hotseat as well, and it seems it doesn't work on barbarians (just like Eagle Warriors don't get builders from barbarians). However, it does work against other civilizations and city states. The capture rate seems to be based on the combat strength of the target unit, although my sample size was still fairly small: I destroyed 5 Galleys, Quadriremes, Caravels, Frigates and Privateers, and the results were:

Galleys: 5/5 captured
Quadriremes: 5/5 captured
Caravels: 2/5 captured
Frigates: 3/5 captured
Privateers: 4/5 captured

If anyone is wondering, the Privateers stayed as Privateers instead of being upgraded to Sea Dogs (unlike what happens to districts and buildings in captured cities).

I've tested them in hotseat as well, and it seems it doesn't work on barbarians (just like Eagle Warriors don't get builders from barbarians). However, it does work against other civilizations and city states. The capture rate seems to be based on the combat strength of the target unit, although my sample size was still fairly small: I destroyed 5 Galleys, Quadriremes, Caravels, Frigates and Privateers, and the results were:

Galleys: 5/5 captured
Quadriremes: 5/5 captured
Caravels: 2/5 captured
Frigates: 3/5 captured
Privateers: 4/5 captured

If anyone is wondering, the Privateers stayed as Privateers instead of being upgraded to Sea Dogs (unlike what happens to districts and buildings in captured cities).

So how does it work? Does the killing blow have a percent chance of converting the enemy unit?

I think so. It would require more testing to get a more accurate estimation of the actual chance for each unit, or to find out if there is a formula for the capture chance. For example, would a Sea Dog Fleet or Armada have a higher chance to capture units than a normal Sea Dog? Or do +Combat Strength promotions matter? I specifically avoided picking promotions to keep the conditions same throughout the test.

I think so. It would require more testing to get a more accurate estimation of the actual chance for each unit, or to find out if there is a formula for the capture chance. For example, would a Sea Dog Fleet or Armada have a higher chance to capture units than a normal Sea Dog? Or do +Combat Strength promotions matter? I specifically avoided picking promotions to keep the conditions same throughout the test.
But it's occurring on the killing blow like Prize Ships in Civ V, right?

It would absolutely make my day if they fixed the sea dog and announced that the eagle warrior not being able to capture barbarians is a big.

It would absolutely make my day if they fixed the sea dog and announced that the eagle warrior not being able to capture barbarians is a big.

They explained the Eagle Warrior limitation when they introduced Aztecs. It's absolutely intended.

Let's be frank: if it was possible, I'd leave a rather large part of my continent unsettled just to become a Builder farm. It'd be more way, way more OP than Sumeria barb-huts*.

*Granted, Sumeria's biggest bonus are their donkeys, but barb-huts bonuses stay throughout the game giving eurekas.

I've had sea dogs work properly in a regular single player game (the only one I've played with England). I was actually surprised when it worked, since I had seen people on here talking about how it was broken. It seemed to capture the ship about a third of the time for me, but I used them a lot (island plates map going for domination victory) so amassed quite a large navy.

Let's be frank: if it was possible, I'd leave a rather large part of my continent unsettled just to become a Builder farm.
You can. Just perma-war a city state. Granted, they don't create units every single turn, and not every battle results in a worker, but you can have an unlimited supply of workers.

You can. Just perma-war a city state. Granted, they don't create units every single turn, and not every battle results in a worker, but you can have an unlimited supply of workers.

Problem is, CS's will eventually create more advanced units, which hardly give Builders. Also, they get tougher and tougher for Eagle Warriors.

But Barbarians huts always spawn with a Spearman and a Scout, and both of them have a high chance of leaving a Builder behind. And if you destroy the Scout, another one will spawn.

Problem is, CS's will eventually create more advanced units, which hardly give Builders. Also, they get tougher and tougher for Eagle Warriors.

But Barbarians huts always spawn with a Spearman and a Scout, and both of them have a high chance of leaving a Builder behind. And if you destroy the Scout, another one will spawn.
EWs are good for a while thanks to the combat bonus from luxuries. Just buy up luxuries from other civs to power the EWs.

The Eagle Warriors are so powerful already. So I do not think that they should get workers from barbarians as well. That would just be "astronomical". Maybe the SeaDogs should get boats from Barbarians as there are not that many boats around

After reading the sea dog was broken and as I have never captured a boat with my sea dogs I stopped using them.
I play single player - is this what you call hot seat?

Top Bottom