How do you win when you are ganged up on?

Too Ton

Chieftain
I haven't seen this question asked before so I'll ask now. Just right now I got ganged up by America (twice my size and much better in economy, ranked 1 in score) and Japan (crappy, I could prob beat him on my own). What I didn't understand was the irrational choices of the other nations (humans). I was deemed, "too whiney and crybabylike" so everyone wanted peace and quiet. Anyway, (imo terrible decision by everyone but America cause he would win if I fell), what can you do to win when you are being ganged up on? I was third place but even then, Korea was deemed OP so no matter if I wasn't winning, I was a threat... LOL? Another reason was I didn't share embassy with America, I killed his spy (100% his fault) and I didn't share my luxury (only slim/good reason). I was proud I was considered a threat (third out of sixth place) but how do I get stronger to be the guy in first? How can I win even if not in first? If it's a 1 v 1 I can hold my own. 1 v 2, ehh... not happy. 1 v 3/whole world (human players) and I don't know what to do. This was small map size (6 players) and basically a pangaea themed map.

That doesn't solve the actual issue if ganged up on... :( How do you win when outnumbered whether you are first place or not? As in I should have made the alliances first to win? (I was mostly minding my own business but spammed chat with useless information as I thought alliances never lasted anyway, maybe even get you backstabbed and killed!) Should I have given my embassy? (I thought you never should?) Do I swallow the demands of others whether stronger or weaker in order to not paint a target on my back? Do I try to embargo someone and risk everyone getting angry?

if your not in a game wining position and your still geting teamed on a land based map just make it as expensive as possible to kill you with roads on every tile + forts
normaly that help's to prevent you geting teamed by players in the future since they know they can kill u if they do it 2v1 but they are going bouth irelevant from this since they have to spend way to mouch production doing so

How ever in your position i would fear that America won't go irrelevant since he got the economy to back up his attack while still building important infrastructure

In this game America is probobly already so far ahead that he is going to win any way unles he is teamed by enough players to criple him

How do you win when outnumbered whether you are first place or not?
If you are in one of the best places in the game and you get teamed thats normal since then the Players wan't to stop you wining the game
The way to react is to make it as hard as possble to push in to you with roads and knights&crosbows/infantry&bombers that normaly is enough to reflect the attack

Use the space at your advantage, even if they team up it doesn't change the fact that you cant have more than 1 military unit/tile, so if you can settle on tight spots, set up good ranged defense and have decent defensive buildings, you can usually survive.

The big issues is usually when you're 1v1 against one of the dominant player, and a lower one comes just to annoy you, even if they cant get anything from it... in this case you can try to counterattack and kill them, but that's a bad spot yeah, this "3rd guy" is usually determining the winner between two other player.

But that's life, Civ5 in MP will always be a bit of a kingmaker game.

civ 5 is a quite game, "but spammed chat with useless information" usually gets people annoyed cause no one gives a :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :). which means they like eahother better than they do you. Thats the really issue. embasy you trade when you want to know eachothers capital, if you know where anothers cap is you dont accept it since u give away more info than you get. and i really wouldnt embasy with huns early :p.
As for a 2 vs 1 war just make sure youre always ready to produce military, have barraks and armory pre build. defending is usually easier than attaking cause you can fortify down.

Month annoy the others, and form alliances though don't over commit to it and watch out for back stabs. Simply having an ally can often be enough to dissuade war (even if neither of you can do much to help the other).

Also score is really only the most vague measure of who is winning, so being third on score as Korea could still easily mean your winning (small high tech empire compared to the expansive American)

Here is a link from a game of one of the best civ players in the world where he get's ganged up by 4 Players at the same time
I think u could learn a lot how to play when u get ganged up, from him

Link to video.

Sorry but that's a ridiculous example komodowaran :p

Jes but just the fact that he is able to push it back amd win the games shows that he clearly knows what to do when ge get's ganged up on and how to react
therefore i think u can learn a lot for the case if u get in a simular situation

Top Bottom