• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How far would you dismantle 'PC (politically correct) culture'?

Making his earthly remains go out with a bang....

Something something, degrees of evil, something something, make choices, something something, not everything is the same
Yeah I think warmongers and corrupt politicians are worse than a bookwriter who held some racist beliefs, and, as far as I know, never caused any death or made anyone poorer.

And why are you complaining about it? Is it especially widespread? Are you threatened by it? Is there a government somewhere about to pass laws banning certain people from wearing certain hairstyles? What?
So racism is only bad and we should only talk about it when it's a government doing it or it makes its way to a law?

Yeah I think warmongers and corrupt politicians are worse than a bookwriter who held some racist beliefs, and, as far as I know, never caused any death or made anyone poorer.

Again, we're talking about a children's book award

I'm fully on-board with changing the names of children's book awards named after warmongers, corrupt politicians, or whomever else you find objectionable, along with changing the name of this one

Thomas Jeffreson wanted to castrate homosexuals, in addition to being a racist slaveowner. What should be done to Jeffreson's statues?

what did she say that was racist?
Apparently she wrote in a book, in the words of a character: "there are no people here, only Indians". She later apologized and even changed the passage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she was a racist beyond this. But so were a majority of Americans of the time.

I thought Jefferson recommended castration as an alternative to the death penalty for homosexuality, maybe I'm mis-remembering.

I thought Jefferson recommended castration as an alternative to the death penalty for homosexuality, maybe I'm mis-remembering.
Radically progressive for the late 18th century.

Wait for China to invade the US, destroy the state and leave behind a smoldering ruin reigniting internal power struggles? :D

The Chinese Communist Party is clearly more civilized than the Republican Party.

Last edited:
Maybe we could replace him with one of his more honorable contemporary, like Lysander Spooner.

All that stuff you listed, yet
Number of slaves freed by Lincoln: ~4 million
Number of slaves freed by Lysander Spooner: approximately 0

I'm afraid this round goes to Lincoln

the country cant be named for us...or we cant be named for the country

All that stuff you listed, yet
Number of slaves freed by Lincoln: ~4 million
Number of slaves freed by Lysander Spooner: approximately 0

I'm afraid this round goes to Lincoln

Was Spooner a racist too?

Still not very palatable for modern views. There is also some evidence that he would have liked to ship the slaves back to Africa.

Surely at the time that would have been a fairly reasonable thing to advocate for? If the complaint was that these people were stolen from their homelands and forced into slavery on another continent, putting them back and setting them free would seem a pretty good way of addressing that.

Surely at the time that would have been a fairly reasonable thing to advocate for? If the complaint was that these people were stolen from their homelands and forced into slavery on another continent, putting them back and setting them free would seem a pretty good way of addressing that.
Sorry for being ambiguous. That was kind of my point, that as with homosexuals, for his time he had more moderate views, but such that for today would be unimaginable.

Top Bottom