How fast can turns get?

KevinLandwaster

Chieftain
I have a low-budget laptop and I am waiting about 30 seconds between turns on average. Are their any folks with high-end PCs that just blink from one turn to the next, or does everyone wait a while no matter how high-end their rig is?

It depends on the turn of the game -- later on turns certainly can take longer. Are you taking 30 seconds on turn 5 or something?

Go to Options in your game, turn on Quick movement and Quick combat for single player. You can also click auto-end turn if you feel bold. These settings chopped my wait times in half between turns. The animations eat up processing power, especially on later turns when the screen is filled with units.

If you want even higher speeds, you can lower the graphics to their absolute minimums, but it will look horrible so be warned. Also, make sure nothing silly is running in the background, like chrome or etc unless you need them.

With a low budget laptop, your processor is running both the game and creating the video. In high end laptops/computers, a graphics card takes the video portion away from the processor so it can focus on the game. By losing the extra video processing, it mimics this somewhat, so your laptop can handle the game better. Regardless of setup though, lower graphics settings and quick combat/quick movement will always create faster turn times regardless of what system you are running. I heard a rumor that there was a mod that made turns even faster, but I may be wrong about that.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=polish&id=220250184 Here is a Mod that lets you pick and choose what is quick and what is not.

For even faster speed that Quick movement & combat on and graphics at the absolute minimum, be in the strategic view mode when you end the turn.

I would definitely not enable auto-end turn. You may wish to do things like change the current research, move Fortified/Sleeping/Alerted units, buy stuff in cities, conduct diplomacy, etc.

My laptop was high end- well two years ago- but is still quite a good unit. I play on large maps with 4 of the video qualities on high. (I have tessalation on low because I don't know what the hell it is).

30 seconds would be very long early game. Towards the end, not so unusual, but that depends how many civilizations are left, number of city states, and if any barbarians are still active.

I agree with not having auto end as per the previous post. In any case it won't enable the computer to process the game any faster- it just shuts off options that you may want to employ.

Weird. My laptop is not terrible but seriously not high-end, and I don't have to wait 30 seconds between turns until about the Atomic era, and even then, it's because I left animations enabled (who's the moron who designed the aircraft animations? Seriously...)

Weird. My laptop is not terrible but seriously not high-end, and I don't have to wait 30 seconds between turns until about the Atomic era, and even then, it's because I left animations enabled (who's the moron who designed the aircraft animations? Seriously...)

With a quick Google search, I have learned that you can skip certain animations by double-clicking F10. I have to try it out, though. Sometimes I hate having to wait through those lazy bomber flights.

I am actually waiting up to 5 minutes in games with more than 12 civs in later eras, but in the ancient era I am only waiting about 3 seconds. I hate to turn down the graphics detail, but it looks like I will need to tweak it a little. Also, I started a new game with only 6 civs, so now, in the information age, I am waiting about 1 minute.

I am wondering, however, if there are people that can max out graphics quality and resolution with 24 civs and still blink through turns in later eras. I was asking this because I'll be building a new PC in the near future, and I wonder if having an I7 quad-core (or 6-core) processor will eliminate wait times between turns.

Around 30 secs wait time, standard game settings, graphics all set to high, end game.

i7-6700, GTX 970 16 GB ram

Something from NASA might just 'blink through'....

Oh - I have a 2k monitor so that will add something to the time though no idea how much.

Around 30 secs wait time, standard game settings, graphics all set to high, end game.

i7-6700, GTX 970 16 GB ram

Something from NASA might just 'blink through'....

Oh - I have a 2k monitor so that will add something to the time though no idea how much.

By 2k you are talking about a standard 1080p resolution, aren't you? Or is it higher?

I am running the game on a 2010 MacBook Pro (external monitor, keyboard, mouse) and don't find things too bad running in 2D. I like the 2D better for planning anyway, I only turn 3D on occasionally for wars.

I also usually keep one worker active, even if he has nothing to do, so I can be sure I have an opportunity to be any adjustments needed.

I plan on building a system that can run next-gen games at ultra/high settings smoothly in 1080p resolution. It's actually a mid-range system with a good video card. I wonder if I can play quickly with 24 civs and graphics set to the max on a system like that.

It's good that you also can make your own air attacks quicker with strategic view. I switch movement off, but i don't want to pass on fight animations.

If it weren't for switching to the strategic view between AI turns, i would have to wait much longer. :cringe:

update: I tried the double f10 method and it didn't work. If anyone knows a way to skip an animation, please post here.

another problem: I am playing on the Earth map with 8 civs, and now that the world is in the atomic era I am waiting extremely long times (about 5 minutes or more) between turns, even when I switch to strategic map before I click end turn. It was going pretty fast until I went to war with Persia. Darius is taking forever to decide on his tactics. The other civs are processing pretty fast. It seems like my processor is the bottleneck in my system. It's the AMD A6 laptop processor. I also wonder if, since I went from prince difficulty to emperor, the AI is taking more time to calculate better tactics.

another problem: I am playing on the Earth map with 8 civs, and now that the world is in the atomic era I am waiting extremely long times (about 5 minutes or more) between turns, even when I switch to strategic map before I click end turn. It was going pretty fast until I went to war with Persia. Darius is taking forever to decide on his tactics. The other civs are processing pretty fast. It seems like my processor is the bottleneck in my system. It's the AMD A6 laptop processor. I also wonder if, since I went from prince difficulty to emperor, the AI is taking more time to calculate better tactics.

Chances are that the processor indeed is the bottleneck.
But it's the same AI, the AI with exactly the same number of units & cities takes exactly the same time at all difficulty levels. The only place where Emperor matters is that there are some additional handicaps, so the AI actually has a few more units on Emperor than it would on Prince.

You didn't mention in what turn you're waiting 30 sec and how many civs are there. I think these 2 are the key questions.

I have a low-budget laptop and I am waiting about 30 seconds between turns on average. Are their any folks with high-end PCs that just blink from one turn to the next, or does everyone wait a while no matter how high-end their rig is?

I have just built a new gaming computer with all high end modern software,...If you post a game save,...I can let you know what my turn times are for your specific game situation. Movement and Combat will still be the same if you don't have "Quick" "ON", but the other unseen parts may be faster,...How much faster???...Not sure?

Civilization V is a little different than other computer games,...most lags are because their are numerous calculations per turn, and not because it is graphically demanding on a computer.

-

I have just built a new gaming computer with all high end modern software,...If you post a game save,...I can let you know what my turn times are for your specific game situation. Movement and Combat will still be the same if you don't have "Quick" "ON", but the other unseen parts may be faster,...How much faster???...Not sure?

Civilization V is a little different than other computer games,...most lags are because their are numerous calculations per turn, and not because it is graphically demanding on a computer.

-
Do you mean your computer has all high-end hardware components? Do you have an I7 quad core or better? If so, what is the longest time you ever wait between turns under the most demanding circumstances? Basically, I would like to think I could play with 24 civs and not have to twiddle my thumbs between turns when I build my new system (and I'm not talking about watching the animations for movement and combat, but for the processing time when nothing is happening on screen).

Top Bottom