How long does it take to do a leader animation?

I've been working in the vfx industry for 5 years and we do a lot of character work. I also have some knowledge in Game workflow, but this is not my priority speciality (although I'm working as much as I can to develop this side of my portfolio on my down time). I have applied to work at Firaxis this year as character and envionment artist but got rejected, as I haven't worked in the game industry before and I am sure they are a LOT of more suited candidate for the job, which is fair enough.
And even if you could make a leader in a lot less time than I'm going to describe here, the leaders in the game are spectacular, and this would realistically be the amount of time they took to make them.

So let's start with the design process after choosing the leader. This can take WEEKS of design, retakes and changes. To end up on something like they have, I reckon it took at least a month in design from start to finish for each leader. Just for the design part (drawing the character, his expressions, his looks etc). These leaders have really strong designs, and this doesn't come with the first drawing. Obviously you could start on a crappy design or first design, which could take maybe a few days for a very good character designer, but in a studio like this, there are feedbacks, retakes etc. Having such caricatural characters take time to design as well. You have to adapt paintings or representation of the leader in a new style, and this can make for loads of iterations.

Then comes the modeling. You can assume that with good drawings sheet, an experience character artist could finish the modeling in 2 or 3 days, but let's say a week. You have to sculpt it (in zbrush) that could take 2-3 days alone, then do the re-topology of the sculpt (in Maya or 3dsmax) to fit the poly-count required for the engine, and this can take 2-3 days too. So one week for modeling.

Then you've got to rig it. This is basically putting a skeleton in the character so you can animate it. Assuming you have an auto-rig, and most companies do, you can spend 2 days to rig a character. They usually give the rig to the animator to test how it reacts with the model, and have to do a few retakes. So let's say 4-5 days total to finish the rig. This can get really tricky when you've got characters like Gilgamesh with huge muscles, where interpenatration will definitely be a problem, as well as muscle deformations.

Then animation... Now this can take awhile. Especially when you see the quality of the animation of some leaders. I'd say one or 2 weeks for each section of the leader (welcome, idle, idle angry, idle friendly, going to war, defeated). The welcome animation on Cleopatra for example is STUNNING. I assume this would have take 2 weeks alone. So let's say 3-4 weeks animation per leader.

Now while these last two phases are going on, you have to "look dev" the character, make it look good, including all the textures and shaders. Now I know that the guys at Firaxis used a tool called Quixel Suite (which you can see in action here and here) to texture their characters. This is a plugin for Photoshop that makes creating textures and materials much easier and faster. This gives multiple textures to use in the engine, like Diffuse, Specular, Glossiness and Normals, all at the same time, in a PBR way (phisically based rendering) to have materials react like they would in real life. This is really obvious on the leaders this time around and is a major step-up from Civ 5! I assume with this tool, they could knock out a whole character's look dev in a few days, but let's say a week again to make it perfect. It also means we'll be able to use the same tools to make great looking leaders, assuming you have the skills.

Finally, you have to light the leader scene in the engine. This can take half a day if you've got a set up you are reusing for most leaders.

So to recap of the time I assume Firaxis would have spent on each leader, with obviously amazing artists at each of these tasks that gives us:
  • Design = 2 weeks
  • Modeling = 3 to 6 days
  • Rigging = 3 to 5 days
  • Animation = 3 to 4 weeks
  • Look Development = 3 to 5 days
  • Lighting = half a day
This is a total of 5 to 6 weeks per leader, to get it to the level they are.

Assuming you are not a pro and don't aim for the quality they have (but why would you do that...), and don't have to design the character, you could potentially have these kind of timings (assuming you'd still want to have something of quality and on par with the game's leaders):
  • Design = 1 day (assuming someone else do the design, or you take a design from the internet)
  • Modeling = 2-3 days sculpting, 2 days retopo = 5 days
  • Rigging = 1 day using an auto rig and not caring about skinning too much
  • Animation = 3 weeks to do maybe one "welcome", one idle, one "going to war" and one "defeat"
  • Look dev = 3 days
  • Lighting = half a day (texting and re-using the lighting from one of the existing leaderscenes)
This brings the total to 10 to 20 days to make a full leader of acceptable quality.

I hope this helps!

Do you really think 3-4 weeks to animate? Like I said I am kind of on the fringes of the VFX industry and no experience in gaming, but I am in fact a full-time animator and that seems like an overestimate. But I guess, I haven't actually been watching many of the livestreams so I don't have a very solid idea of how many different animations each leader head has - and, are you assuming a single animator working on it? I was assuming a team of 3-4, each working on a different animation for the same leader.

Do you really think 3-4 weeks to animate? Like I said I am kind of on the fringes of the VFX industry and no experience in gaming, but I am in fact a full-time animator and that seems like an overestimate. But I guess, I haven't actually been watching many of the livestreams so I don't have a very solid idea of how many different animations each leader head has - and, are you assuming a single animator working on it? I was assuming a team of 3-4, each working on a different animation for the same leader.
In my first estimate, I was thinking of it as a team, where everything is done in parallel. I am not an animator but I have quoted many jobs in advertising, and this is the kind of time we usually quote for something like this. There seems to be at least 6-8 state for each leader, and although I think a very skilled animator could do all 8 states on his own in maybe 2 weeks, but I reckon this is the time they had allocated for each leader to do it as good as possible. Although now that I think about it, a lot of the leaders animations, even in the lets play videos, were snappy and buggy at times, so maybe they did spend a lot less time.

I am in fact a full-time animator
This is very interesting! I am a modeler and look dev guy, and I am going to move into a new flat at the end of the month with a rigger/animator who's also a Civ fan and we're planning on trying to do a few leaders, so if you are interested in helping, you're most welcome!

That is interesting, and you're in London too... where is this flat? As I'm also in London :D (Peckham)

Just adding some quick stats to this discussion for no other reason to well... contribute stats. So far I've counted 21 states for leader animation (there may be more or less) from watching preview videos which seem to be:
  • Initial First Meet
  • Neutral (6) - Greeting, Idle, Negative Feedback, PositiveFeedback, Transition to Grumpy, Transition to Happy
  • Happy (5)- Idle, Negative Feedback, Positive Feedback, Transition to Grumpy, Transition to Neutral
  • Grumpy (5) - Idle, Negative Feedback, Positive Feedback, Transition to Grumpy, Transition to Neutral
  • Super Mad
  • Thanks
  • Declaration of War (on You)
  • Declaration of War (Against them)
  • Depressing Defeat Animation
Another thing to consider is how to enact your pipeline in terms of how long this all takes. When working as a team, the process can go much quicker (especially if you're not a one man wonder like Sukritact). Right now in CL, although we're really being quite lax - we've essentially laid out the blueprint for our first mod - Vietnam as led by the Trung Sisters. The reason we've gotten so far so quickly is because we have different people allocated to loresmithing/dialogue, designing, logistics, modelling, texturing, researching and doing concept art (some/most of us have our hands in different jars too).

When it comes to modding, it helps to know how best you operate - is it in a team environment? If so, what sort of environment are you looking for - i.e group loose individuals coming together for a short project, committed focused team (or a compromise between the two). If you're heading it solo, then you have a long path ahead of you - but on the plus side there's a lot of room for personal growth and the satisfaction of being self-sufficient. In the case of our team - everyone is encouraged to do their own projects. The team aspect comes from the notion that early VI will be a learning experience, and being a team ensures that we have a likeminded focus and a unified goal to work towards. When the time comes, no doubt we'll go our seperate ways and collaborate with entirely new people. Having an understanding of your own preferences shapes this timeline in terms of man hours need to create content like this(as many have been talking about before).

For the Trung Sisters for example, here's what our pipeline looks like for just the leaders specifically (your mileage may vary) :

• Research into historically accurate clothing
  • Personality research
  • Concept art for character based on personality and historically accurate clothing
  • Unique dialogue for all ~40 or so diplo actions
  • Concept art with T-Poses and the like
  • Modelling
  • Texturing
  • Posing
If leader animations are possible, then we'd also need to find a voice actor. We're also planning to release with a new Natural Wonder (Ha Long Bay), Unique Unit (Mông Đồng), Buildings (Water Puppet Pond), Great People, Artifacts and Policy Cards. I mean this all sounds daunting, especially if you're trying to find people to work with. Truth be told, our "unified team" is the result of a few PMs where I pitched ideas, and a discord channel where we're all getting to know each other. With multiple people assigned to different categories, this whole process has gone rather smoothly (and I can't wait to actually get started).

There can be a lot of nervousness when it comes to initiating contact, but in the end if you do it for a while you can find yourself working with some awesome new people (which allows you to diversify what you do because the general talent spread is now wider). Anecdotally speaking, once you can fulfil other people's niches ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and vice versa, you can find more time to organise other things to better the overall product (i.e voice acting).

There's a loooot of work to do with the Trung Sisters, and we're being ridiculously ambitious to have this as our first project - but pushing the boundaries is always fun.

Side note: Since the rumors are that we're now using the proprietary Blizzard .blp and .mdx files (each with a wealth of tools and ridiculously well established modding communities), the pipeline/timeline vs Civ V may have increased significantly. Especially if we have powerhouses like Deliverator leading the way in terms of being something of a Rosetta Stone.

This post was more rather aimed at the side of "pretty much everything other than animation" but that was kind of the point. If you're an animator and have material to work with from motivated people, you may just end up getting motivation via osmosis due to the high quality of what you actually have to work with.

Civ VI isn't even out and we have modders all over already at different stages of development. There's never really been a better time to scout the forums and see if there are any people you want to work with. They're only a PM away :p

....oh and if anyone is interested in working with the CL team, I'm only a PM away too

Last edited:
I'm still quite skeptical about that Blizzard format rumour based on the naming of a folder and some file extensions. The art director is quoted as a saying "The graphics engine is completely new ... there’s a lot of new technology there". They developed their own bespoke graphics engine called LORE for Civ V and it sounds like they've built on that experience for Civ VI. I therefore think it's highly unlikely that we'll be using Warcraft 3/World of Warcraft tools to mod Civ VI but I could be wrong. The thing is that it sounds like Firaxis have thought hard about 3D modding and are hopefully going to provide better tools than they've provided before. So hopefully a Rosetta Stone won't be required ;).

For what it's worth, I've heard that some rumours that certain files (probably xml and the like) are remaining functionally the same, but now have different filenames. My theory is that the final game wont be populated by xml/lua/mdx/blp files, but simplified new names that the LORE system recognises, but remain functionally the same as their predecessor files.

Top Bottom