How much tourism from Way of the Pilgrim?

Bascule2000

Warlord
The documentation says holy sites give 5 tourism.

The city screen says holy sites give 3 tourism.

The tourism score on the top bar says holy sites give 2 tourism.

What on earth is going on?

you dont get +5 from holy sites until you build the reliquary, not just for adopting the belief.

as to why your terrain and EUI show 3 tourism but your output is 2... im at a loss for that. first thought was unhappiness adjustment, but i cant remember if unhappiness affects tourism

The change from 3 tourism to 2 can be accounted for by the per-city tourism penalty. Each non-puppet city you own reduces your tourism by a percent value (don’t remember the number right now).

Yeah, that per-city tourism penalty threw me off for a long time because, for example, Arenas give +2 :tourism:, but once I had built Arenas in every city of my 10+ city empire I didn't have 20+ :tourism: per turn on the UI. The reason is because even if you have one city in addition to your Capital, the per-city tourism penalty rounds 2 :tourism: down to 1 :tourism: in EVERY CITY. So even if you build 10 Arenas, that will never net you 20 :tourism: because each city gets rounded down to 1 :tourism:. In the example above the 3 :tourism: from the Holy Site gets rounded down to 2 :tourism:. Or, if you manage to build two 1 :tourism: Wonders in your Capital your tourism per turn will still be listed as 1 :tourism: in the UI because it gets rounded down. This matters less and less over time as your Capital and other cities generate more Tourism, but early in the game it can create situations where you are losing 30-50% of your tourism output due to the game rounding down in each city.

I thought the per city penalty affected the total, not the city income.

It doesn’t affect science and culture that way for example

I thought so as well, but if you check the city manager screen you can see Tourism getting reduced at a per-city level.

Yeah, that per-city tourism penalty threw me off for a long time because, for example, Arenas give +2 :tourism:, but once I had built Arenas in every city of my 10+ city empire I didn't have 20+ :tourism: per turn on the UI. The reason is because even if you have one city in addition to your Capital, the per-city tourism penalty rounds 2 :tourism: down to 1 :tourism: in EVERY CITY. So even if you build 10 Arenas, that will never net you 20 :tourism: because each city gets rounded down to 1 :tourism:. In the example above the 3 :tourism: from the Holy Site gets rounded down to 2 :tourism:. Or, if you manage to build two 1 :tourism: Wonders in your Capital your tourism per turn will still be listed as 1 :tourism: in the UI because it gets rounded down. This matters less and less over time as your Capital and other cities generate more Tourism, but early in the game it can create situations where you are losing 30-50% of your tourism output due to the game rounding down in each city.

Tourism is stored in the hundreds (like all yields) so you're not actually losing anything. The UI is just not able to deal with rounding very well.

G

I think that whoward, blessed be his name, punched them up to 100 forever ago. Or not. I can't remember.

G
I just remember you mentioning that 10% faith wouldn't be an acceptable monopoly because you cities wouldn't get anything if they didn't produce 10 faith. Was that more that it wouldn't be impact enough?

Top Bottom