How to add new assets, step by step

I got a question regarding custom character select background images and character portraits in the game setup screen.

The custom portraits in that screen are all blank white for me (can see that in the custom 10th nation leader portrait and the custom 6th leader portrait for Greece), while the character select background images look like the one for Alexander the Great for me (just the standard black/brown background):

OW_Images.jpg

In the output.txt log file there is a line, which is trying to tell what the problem with the character select background images are:
'01:39 - SpriteAtlasManager.atlasRequested wasn't listened to while CHARACTER_SELECT_CUSTOMCHAR requested.'

It's not only my own mod, but also mods by other authors, and even in Dale's Asset Template... in the game setup screen it will look like on my screenshot.

Does it look the same for other players actually, if you have modded nations and/or modded leaders?
Or is it a problem with my pc or something?

If you would like to help me a bit here, then you can try for instance Revan's Maurya Empire Mod, it is on Steam, and take a look if the images will appear in the game setup screen for you, or if they look the same as for me...

EDIT: Ok, i have to admit that this is also no real solution. I‘ll give up for now.
Maybe it has something to do with the missing scripts or whatever… now all hopes regarding OW 3D Unit Modding are on Deliverator.

I found something interesting out about the 3D Unit Animations. The problems comes definitely from the Animator Controller. I removed a condition in the transition between 'Entry' (in Locomotion), and the animation "Warrior_Walk_Backwards_A". This Warrior Walk Animation is replaced by the Run Animation in the Animator Override Controller, but, now to the effect ingame: The Warrior stands at the beginning in Idle_A, when i move him one tile away THEN the Run_A Animation is actually, or should i say 'finally', playing fine. Only Downside of this is that the Warrior will not stop running :D

But now it's clear that one need to play around with the conditions in the transitions in the Animator Controller. Now it makes sense what Deliverator meant to say, as he said 'patching the animator controllers' =)

Oh and i figured out, that my problems with the portraits and character select background images where actually caused by Mod Interferences :D All the images do work now in the game setup screen, as well as ingame =)

Ok, i guess i will play around with the transitions and conditions from now on. Now i know where my focus has to be on... it's no longer a guessing game, ok, at least not entirely :D

Last edited:
As my latest attempt regarding 3D Units Modding was obviously not successful, and i‘m out of ideas, i wonder if there is really no way to make 3D Units Modding possible, without having to wait for a certain reply, a reply that may never come… i can make 3D Models and everything for cultural diversity, greek looking units for Greece, egyptian looking units for Egypt and so on, but all that would be redundant if we will never be able to implement the models and everything. I mean, it‘s only that the custom test model, which shows up ingame, is not animating correctly, so it seems like there is not that much missing… any ideas?

I can't believe we can't find a proper solution with devs about a fundamental modding thing as full 3d assets replacement....
I also think the devs would be our last hope… Some kind of 3D Units Asset Template (Unity project/environment with just one simple model rigged to an armature/skeleton of a unit, which after export would then work ingame) would be expectations which are way too high. I understand that and all possible points on why this can‘t happen. But still, they are definitely our last hope… let‘s hope the devs have an idea how they can help us out here…

There is so much potential in this game, if only we could add 3D unit models. And i‘m willing to do a lot of work for this game and behind closed doors, i already do a lot of work…

Top Bottom