How to balance more the Heroes units for the AI

Midano

Chieftain
So I shared somewhere on this forum that I now always play C2C in Deity, and every time I end up the first civ in the beginning of Middle Ages tech.

For me the ONE thing that helps me beat the computer consistently even on Deity is that I manage very well my heroes, while the AI does a very bad job with it.

When you handle yours heroes strategically, building them in the city where they get the most XP, and then carefully using them in combats so you don't risk them until they are VERY leveled up, you can build SUPERHEROES that can destroy entire armies and win a war for you.

And then, because you win wars and expand your empire, you build a lot of cultures, which give you a lot more heroes to play with and destroy all the armies of yours opponents.

I understand the point of heroes in C2C is to model great generals like Alexander the Great or Napoleon who have changed the side of victory many time only with their strategy.

However, the fact with heroes in real life is that they are good generals for like 5-10 years, 20 years maybe max.

In C2C a hero can last tens of centuries or millenniums, and since the AI doesn't use them properly, it really unbalance the game in favor of the human player.

So maybe a simple trick to balance them would be to make them disappears after X turns ?

In "normal" difficulty the heroes would disappear after 100 turns for example, and in Deity after 20 turns for you and 100 for the computer.

This way you will also have an incentive to use them very soon in war, which is more realistic : when you have someone like Alexander in yours hands, you want to use him before he dies of old age or become too accustomed to drink in the taverns !

(Note : I published this as a side note of another topic, but I realize it is not the best way to start a discussion about it ;) )

I never use heroes in combat except for Sparticus. I build the Achievement or settle them all as Military Instructors or Spies!

So maybe a simple trick to balance them would be to make them disappears after X turns ?

I have seen this in one or two mods. In each case I have struggled to get the unit to the front, somewhere, only to have them die the turn before I can use them in battle!

Having the hero dictates when you can have wars which I don't like.

It is even worse when the mod says you have to start building the hero within a certain number of turns of being first able to build the hero.

I would counter suggest
Heroes start out as now but

- get a limited number of "battles" they can be involved in

- any time they can still settle in a city but after the first battle they can't be used for an Achievement

- if they survive their last battle they can only be settled in a city as a Military Instructor

(Not sure about Commander game option effects here)​

I would counter suggest

- any time they can still settle in a city but after the first battle they can't be used for an Achievement

- if they survive their last battle they can only be settled in a city as a Military Instructor

I agree with this.

In my current game, I am torn between using a battle hardened Hero (with XP) - to keep it for fighting or use it for an Achievement I want.

This change would make me make the decision when the Hero first became available.

It also seems logical - battle proven - therefore train others.

Maybe they should be able to settle as a unique type of Military Instructor that gives +1 XP per level gained after they have been built? Or something along those lines.

I find that Size Matters brings them back into balance. Normal units can become just as super heroic and now, the AI understands this better too.

Awesome ideas. I agree !

Maybe they should be able to settle as a unique type of Military Instructor that gives +1 XP per level gained after they have been built? Or something along those lines.

Great idea too !

I find that Size Matters brings them back into balance. Normal units can become just as super heroic and now, the AI understands this better too.

So when the v36 will be released ? :)

Top Bottom