1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clear cache on Mac?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by AceSeptre, Oct 29, 2014.

1. AceSeptre

AceSeptre Chieftain

Im trying to clear the cache so I can hopefully install IGE (which seems like it may be impossible on Mac at this point). Ive tried just about everything, but have no idea how to clear the cache as there is no cache file or folder in the CivV contents. If anyone knows how to do this, or knows how to install IGE on Mac please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Mac forum.

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi, welcome.

Ingame editor works fine for me on my Macs. Which version of Civ5 do you have - Steam or App Store? You have to enable Mods using the information in the sticky thread in this forum.

The cache is stored in a different place depending on which version you are running. The App Store version uses:

/Users/[your_user_name]/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/cache/

The Steam version uses:

/Users/[your_user_name]/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/cache/

In either case, you would clear it by opening the folder in the Finder. Highlight all its contents, right click the selection and select Move to Trash

coffee junkie likes this.
  4. CaptainJ

CaptainJ Chieftain

User cache makes up the majority of Mac junk on your system. A good user cache cleaning could free up gigabytes of free space and speed up your Mac in the process.
    To clear your user cache, do the following:
    Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
    Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
    Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.
    Go into each of the folders and clean out everything.
    Note: I recommend that you remove the insides of these folders, but not the folders themselves.
    Did not work? See other options https://www.cleverfiles.com/help/clear-cache-cookies-mac.html :crazyeye::thumbsup:
    Make sure that once you have finished clearing out these caches for additional hard drive space, you empty out your Trash. To do this, Control-click on the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” Restart your Mac afterward so your Mac can begin to create new, fresh cache files.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018