How to detect the cause of a CTD myself?

rexx2022

Chieftain
Having a CTD in the 3.0 version of this mod that persists through the mini updates. I have logging enabled, and I've looked through achievements_debug...xml-perf.

Besides some "no such table" in Database, I don't see anything that looks obvious that shows me the root of the CTD. I opened the Mini Dump but it was gibberish, so I downloaded WinDbg to see if that'd show me. I see the following in the Exception Analysis:

Error_code: (NTSSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p
The memory could not be %s.

Failute_bucket_id: Null_pointer_read_c0000005_civilizationV_dx11.exe!unknown

Failure_id_hash: {31d9d464-c2c8-74ba-cbc8-ef65711a6b7b}

There's more in here but I only typed up the stuff with wording akin to "error/failure". What are the exact steps I should take to find the cause of this CTD?

I don't often have access to internet so learning how to find the root of any ctds I'll have going forward is more practical than just posting this particular one to GitHub.

If you have a reproducible CTD, you can build the debug config of the DLL and then run the Visual Studio debugger to locate the line of code it crashes in.

This requires installing a lot of software though.

Maybe is a hardware problem not from the game. I think it worth you google 0xc0000005.

Maybe is a hardware problem not from the game. I think it worth you google 0xc0000005.
haha. google a generic thing like that and you will find lots of low quality answers from very unqualified people which you should not take seriously at all.

the important bit is null pointer read. might well be on our side.

Try turning off tile yields and possibly icons. Fixed every CTD for me

When I try to install Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition from Microsoft, I get the following error:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

So I downloaded it from a different website (softonic), but it fails to install. "The following component could not be downloaded:

Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites"

I opened the troubleshooting guide but none of the listed solutions match the error I'm seeing.

So I went to stackoverflow and tried to download VS C++ 2008 from there, but when clicking on the links (there were two offered for this), I got 404 errors and a dead page. So I used the wayback machine to get the working version of the page, which lets me download VSC++2008, but I get stuck at the downloading VC++ Runtime Pre-requisites phase again.

I was able to download everything else and would be on step 7 of this guide (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to-compile-the-vox-populi-dll.665916/)

As is, I cannot build Vox Pop in the version of Visual Studio I have installed because VS 2008 isn't installed.

When I try to install Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition from Microsoft, I get the following error:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

So I downloaded it from a different website (softonic), but it fails to install. "The following component could not be downloaded:

Visual C++ Runtime Pre-requisites"

I opened the troubleshooting guide but none of the listed solutions match the error I'm seeing.

So I went to stackoverflow and tried to download VS C++ 2008 from there, but when clicking on the links (there were two offered for this), I got 404 errors and a dead page. So I used the wayback machine to get the working version of the page, which lets me download VSC++2008, but I get stuck at the downloading VC++ Runtime Pre-requisites phase again.

I was able to download everything else and would be on step 7 of this guide (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to-compile-the-vox-populi-dll.665916/)

As is, I cannot build Vox Pop in the version of Visual Studio I have installed because VS 2008 isn't installed.
If you have later versions of VS installed, you have to uninstall all of them and install VS 2008 to the current version chronologically.
According to this helpful guide from the master of DLL himself:

Top Bottom