• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How to fix horrendous loading times?

tommy61157

Chieftain
I love Civilization 5 (check my steam profile's total hours played on the game if you don't believe me), however, lately, more than ever, I've been having huge issues with the load time right after the introduction. It will sometimes take up to 7 minutes loading when before at most it would take 2 minutes to load on the same computer. I have tried completely reinstalling the game and making sure the cache and everything was flushed along with verifying the integrity of game files via steam, but nothing has alleviated it at all.

I have all the Civ 5 expansions and DLC along with 50-60 mods roughly (half of which don't even exceed a couple megabytes). Civ 5 is automatically updated by steam so I always have the latest version. Here are my computer specs:

8GB 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.60GHz (Turbo boost @ 3.01 GHz)
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M w/ 2GB GDDR5 RAM
750GB HDD (not sure of read/write rate, but the only other game which loads anywhere near as bad as this is the sims 3)

I know there's not a memory leak because when it's in the initial loading screen, RAM usage never goes above 250MB and is usually hovering around 200MB at that screen.

Have you played the game for 6400 hours?

My advice would be to unload all the mods and load them back one at a time to see which one did not like the recent update to the game.

Get yourself an SSD (solid state drive). Running off my hard drive the loading times used to be around 5 minutes. with the SSD it takes about 25 seconds.

They are expensive so I have both in my PC and only use the SSD for Civ

Top Bottom