How to found 10 Cities under 100 turn.

Kelmort83

Chieftain
Hi guys, I'm an old time civ fan which have played almost every iteration of the game.

I particulary loved Game of the Month and how some people could get crazy score with unbeliable strat, which I tried to execute and improve further.

Right now, I must admit it's been a week I'm overwhelm with a challenge that I feel is possible, but can't achieve; help me please.

Here is the setup (require Not another map mod)

Greatest Earth Map

Bresil

Normal Speed

Ressource set to plenty.

Goal (3):
- To have 10 cities by turn 100.
- The last one must be in North America in the desert location. (You have 15 desert hills to choose / to settle on river or rush buy an aqueduct for improved placement.)
- Have Petra underway in that city.
(if possible post by which turn it's complete)

My main problems are as follow:

-Jungle tile everywhere which mean 1 move speed unless I go all navy tech but that occur other problems and change the whole way of doing it.
-Barb, Barb, Barb. Brasil really feel alone on that huge continent and believe me, you will have horsemen from the south or north by turn 20, unless you burst fog of war around.
-Reaching Brasil from NA is no short deal. There is camp all the way around and rush buying Settler is too risky.
-There is just too many great location to settle on, also two natural wonder close by. Buenos Aires spawn like 50% of the time south of you. But I don't know what is best, to capture / friend them / reload and set my own city. (they spawn by the double production wonder and make up for some of the best tiles this game can offer)
And finaly, lost my challenge every single time 4-5 round right before Petra completition by someone in Europe. OR. Finding Teddy Roosevelt and discover that North America and South America = 1 continent. After a few turn meeting him, he DoW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I'm an old time civ fan which have played almost every iteration of the game.

I particulary loved Game of the Month and how some people could get crazy score with unbeliable strat, which I tried to execute and improve further.

Right now, I must admit it's been a week I'm overwhelm with a challenge that I feel is possible, but can't achieve; help me please.

Here is the setup (require Not another map mod)

Greatest Earth Map

Bresil

Normal Speed

Ressource set to plenty.

Goal (3):
- To have 10 cities by turn 100.
- The last one must be in North America in the desert location. (You have 15 desert hills to choose / to settle on river or rush buy an aqueduct for improved placement.)
- Have Petra underway in that city.
(if possible post by which turn it's complete)

Most of the single player people get free bonus cities by stealing settlers from AIs in the GOTM. I don't know if it still works after the patch, but it was very exploitative, and I personally believe players should not do that.

I;ll give this a shot without the settler stealing exploit.

Thank!

I do like to post a screen shot but I don't know in which folder they go.

Right now in my newest game I have settled 5 north on River surrounded by wood instead of rainforest. It's took 5 turn but all my further units will save those 5 turn. The two hills forest look promising too.
Next step is to setup a hub near the Galapagos.

Most of the single player people get free bonus cities by stealing settlers from AIs in the GOTM. I don't know if it still works after the patch, but it was very exploitative, and I personally believe players should not do that.

I;ll give this a shot without the settler stealing exploit.

it does, I took out Deity Scythia ez

Since last post I have tried two more times, I have a hunch, Brasil need to bee-line Embark or either babysit trader for a 15 tiles early road.

This way around I will aim for less city and focus on securing north america

Here we go, I might have to try again to maximize it, there is issue in the Petra city.

11 Desert hill, but I fear Petra being snipped. I forgot to build a campus early.

Definetly need embark. Trying to back fill land right now.

I had to fend off huge wage of barbarian with a single Quadrireme for a longwhile.

Reloading at round 55 now, I'm going to chop 2 Campus (with +5 bonus from rainforest each) to reach mathematic before turn 100.

Beside, look what I found on the coast of Florida :D

Our Pantheon is God of the Sea :p

I wanted Divine spark but was already taken.

What's so hard about founding 10 cities in 100 turns? More cities = more settlers = more cities.

I would just settle as much cities as possible in my starting territory, get shipbuilding after apprenticeship and once that's done, sent a settler by sea to the desert location. By the time he arrives, I'd probably have researched mathematics.

I'd also settle to the northern part of the desert, where the majority of the hills are. Petra hills are amazing tiles. It would be a waste to not take advantage of it. In any case, this city will need a lot of gold to get going, mainly to buy a few decent tiles to work early. Since it will lack any regional effects from factories etc and it won't be getting many trade routes, getting those hills will be super important.

I don't see the point of that city though. It's development will be super slow, and it won't be useful as a base of operations till turn 250 or so.

I'd like to see a YouTube play of those 100 turns. I'd even watch it for each civilization. :)

I have just tried this task a few times.

As Brazil I got 8 cities settled peacefully before 100 but it took a lot of reloading saves when I made the slightest mistake. having a band of jungle rather than a swathe is better. It was hard going getting 8. I also tried to take out India but they built walls so damn quick on Deity that I do not believe people that say you can always do it.

I got 10 easily as Gorgo taking out 3 city states really easily that were close and gave me the room. The AI does tend to place them badly... 2 of 3 were 1 tile away from rivers. Stupido! Gorgo romped home a cultural victory after that with the cheap acropolis and culture from kills off barbs and city states... I struggled to be effective with my early civic eureka's because of it.

I also played a tall long American game with just 5 cities and won with about 20 turns left in the game.... I do not want to play that again... zzzzz

Getting 10 cities in under 100 turns isn't too bad, especially if you go German and steal from City-States with your vs. C-S buffed troops.

But founding 10...
6 I can do easy.
8 is pushing it. If I have a good setup for production, and with mountains blocking barbarians/greedy AIs so I don't have to keep as many fronts secure, I could likely do it by ignoring defense and just focus on expansion.
But 10... Hmm...

But 10... Hmm...
@Hythian I found that is you go for optimal setup and try to 2 phase the cities it fails.
You have to conquer 2-3 then make another 6 settlers and get them out... If there is less room you have smaller cities closer which is less efficient in some ways but better in others. I was surprised using Gorgo and the acropolis just how they ramped up my culture so damn quick. Because like Hansa's hey are half price.

I tried this challenge, managed to found 11 cities (+1 settler on the way)

11 cities on S America.
As you could see in mini map, there is Buenos Aires spawned in this game. I kept it alive so that I wanted to show founding 10 or more cities without capturing any city or settler is possible. I guess it would be better starting if there is no Buenos Aires in game because of the NW to untilize from earlier turns.

Cities seems underdeveloped. However, I already stocked production in builder queue 1 turn before complete in every city. Because the serfdom card is coming soon :)

I don't know why you are so into Petra but I am sending a settler to Petra location as you said. I personally don't like remote city because it's hard to keep it safe. I set it the least priority so I couldn't make it in T100, I'd rather found a city in Mexico or Florida area for new lux.

This is rough build order I used.

Capital : slinger (sent to north) > builder (used 1 charge to chop) > builder > settler > settler
2nd city : builder > settler

Tech : Mining(for the first chop) > AH (for pasture) > Bronze working (for rainforest chop) > shipbuilding > Apprenticeship > on the way to industrialization
Civic : CoL (god king for god of open sky) > Craftsmanship (early builder boosts) > Early Empire(faster settler production) > PP > on the way to Feudalism

Rough Plan : I will chop rainforests even if Amazon gives +1 adj bonus, because food/production tile yeild is necessary to develope cities. Only rainforests with plantation resources will be kept. After computer I might go for culture victory because there is no Teddy on N America in my game, so I can colonize for infinite resorts later game.

Building 9 settlers in 100 turns is no issue. I'm not sure it's a good idea and you'll need the opportunity to do so (room and no agression blocking you out).

You go 2 settlers before early empire then at early empire use your 3 cities to pump all the other ones you want. Build your 2 first cities in areas with production of course !!

Awesome guys.

I did suceed my challenge.

If anyone is up to the task, here is my super tips.

Settle on Marsh with Sugar or any luxury ressource that grant gold, for each cities :); Irrigation is a very must have tech early on.

Oh yes, Naval Tech is definetly very important if you want to settle in North America.

There is also 3 excellent cities on the coast of South Africa. One to control Gilbraltar, one around where Nigeria is, and last is around cape diamond.

Mzemba was not too happy with me ahahahah.

Setting where the Panama Channel is, is also a good idea, save you a couple of turn not having to go all the way around south america.

I would also suggest to settle your second city or third on the west coast and settle in a V shape. Making shure your trader connect everything with road from west to east.

P.S: I dont play with barb anymore, my turn are close to 1 minutes wait time after turn 200 and make it too long.

Last edited:
Getting 10 cities in under 100 turns isn't too bad, especially if you go German and steal from City-States with your vs. C-S buffed troops.

But founding 10...
6 I can do easy.
8 is pushing it. If I have a good setup for production, and with mountains blocking barbarians/greedy AIs so I don't have to keep as many fronts secure, I could likely do it by ignoring defense and just focus on expansion.
But 10... Hmm...

What I like to do is set the timer to Epic.

Playing Brazil, I will sacrifice my best bonus tiles for Commercial District. I hardly ever Settler on turn 1 either, I seek that +7 Commercial District for my inner or second ring. First trader will go for Lizbonne / Zanzibar, and each cities first trade road will be with a city state if I can find them. I also go with double scout very often. Anyway, playing this way, I have been able to power expanding by simply buying Settler.

First one is 480g on Epic, but you have soo many more turn in each area, it's pretty easy to get. Thus, you can build a Settler and before last turn of completition, you buy your first settler, put on hold that 1 turn settler, buy second settler. then switch to that almost done settler. Build 3 more Settler, and buy another one before they are complete.

I'm not shure if it's can be done on normal / fast or MP speed.

If I may suggest, you should definetly try Epic Speed, increase the immersion, imo.

Something like this.

Rio is settled on a Diamond and will work both Chocolate early.

We have 1 warrior and 2 scouts. I'm hoping for more gold from huts very early

Just for reference 100 normal turn are equivalent to 150 epic turn.... i think.

(bough first settler at turn 31)

Next one is 600 gold and I have a 3/4 of a settler banked.

Rice in our inner ring granted us Eureka for Irrigation.

While this may seem weird, all the turn I saved by buying first settler, and next one, allow us to go for mass builder or units.

By turn 60, I will queue 3 settler from each city, while completing the banked one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom