How to improve diplomaric relations with AI ?

Orion66

Master of Orion
Hi,

Could you write down how many ways there are that help to could improve diplomatic relations with AI ?

I guess you want the ways, not just a figure?

I'll start off with:

Open borders agreement (which you can ask for once Writing is discovered)

Share the same religion (either send a missionary over there or adopt when theirs spreads to you)

Offer technology (with Alphabet), or a resource to the nation. This can be in return for something, or even as a gift. Cannot remember the tech that allow resource trading off the top of my head

So there are 3 (or 4). I'm sure there are more.

If your thread was started because of problems you are having the the AI and diplomacy, check out this thread:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/triangle_diplomacy.php

which is about Triangle Diplomacy.

Best of luck!

Thanks man!

I have very bad relations with few AIs. Many wars and so on. Right now am wondering how to improve our relationship to end this wars and hate.
hehe.... :)

- Defense pact
- Running the same civics
- Making war to the same AI
- Lasting peace
- Random events (save some cash)
- Share advanced techs

Each AI has a favorite Civic. Switch to that civic and the longer you remain there the better the relationship.

You cannot get along with everyone, pick who you like and do what they want. If they want you stop trading with someone else, do it. If they want you to adopt thier favorite Civic, do it.

Joins wars if asked, you need not send troops.

Capture your friends city if it's taken by a different AI and gift it back.

Make trades FAvorable to the AI. IF your tech is 1000 beakers and the AI is 1000 beakers, throw in a cheap tech or some cash.

Let me see if I can do the whole list:
-open borders
-lasting peace
-fair trade bonus
-providing resources for a long time
-shared technological discoveries
-mutual struggle
-defensive pact
-shared religion
-you voted for us (bts only)
-running favorite civic
-you adopted our state religion
-you adopted our favorite civic
-you helped us (tribute demand from a pleased civ)
-you gave us tribute
-you liberated one of our cities (bts only)

If you have had a lot of wars with an AI, and especially if you have razed cities, it is going to be very difficult to impossible to heal the rift. If the AI was always the one to declare war, and you didn't raze any cities, you have a decent chance to become friends.

If you have close borders with the AI civ, and that AI has nowhere to expand to, you will just have to accept the fact that you will have to fight wars with that AI. You probably won't be able to become good enough friends with them to prevent them from trying to expand through you again. Best to just take them out.

Choosing your friends and enemies should be done before wars happen if possible. Plan out your diplomacy. Try to have a group of friends that all like each other, and enemies your friends don't like. Otherwise, you just get everyone mad at you, piling up 'you declared war on our friend' and 'you traded with our worst enemy' demerits.

thanks for the info. The last game I played, I tried to make everyone happy. Just gave into everyone to begin with. Obviously this complicated things once the AI made enemies with each other and I'd get negative rep for helping their enemies.

Anyway, few questions.

While you get positive rep for assisting in a war, how long do you have to stay at war?? Do you get negative rep for making peace with the enemy?

When an AI civ asks for something, do you get less rep for negotiating first, even if you make the exact same deal they proposed??

Do you get a relationship boost by proposing things? like.... eg: suggesting open borders with someone, or should you wait for them to suggest it and then accept.

While you get positive rep for assisting in a war, how long do you have to stay at war?? Do you get negative rep for making peace with the enemy?

When an AI civ asks for something, do you get less rep for negotiating first, even if you make the exact same deal they proposed??

Do you get a relationship boost by proposing things? like.... eg: suggesting open borders with someone, or should you wait for them to suggest it and then accept.[/QUOTE]

1. You don't have to stay at war but it will increase as time goes on. I think I've seen +3 diplo for "our mutual military struggle." Maybe others have seen higher. It also lingers after the fight (time seems variable) and you don't get any negative effects from declaring peace. Also, the AI doesn't care if you don't actually fight at all. Gotta love the pretend wars.

2. No, I don't think negotiation hurts you but it is affected by how good the deal ultimately is for the AI.

3. Open borders only helps over time so I don't think it matters who proposed it. If they ask for your help, on the other hand, saying yes helps right away.

I would also like to take this opportunity o vent about what a dick Augustus is. In my last game I had him friendly for like 30 turns and he was never willing to go to war with anyone for me, even when he was furious with them and I was already at war. The reason? "We just don' like you enough." WTF?! It don't get any better than friendly, Augustus!

The modifier you get from mutual military struggle depends on which AI it is. Warmonger AIs will increase that modifier faster and to much higher levels (I've seen +5 at least). Peacemonger AI like Mansa will not go above +2, and its effects will fade rapidly after war ends.

One thing about the AI's favorite civic bonus-it has to be a shared civic. Both you and the AI must be running their favorite civic to get the bonus. So getting the Pyramids and running Police State in the BCs wont help you with Shaka since he can't switch to police state without Fascism. Thanks to KMadCandy for letting me know that one.

favorite civics can help so much! they can give you a big boost and they can really affect how the AIs feel about each other. you can manipulate that to your advantage when you want them to like each other less. yesterday's example:

i wanted hammurabi's land (he had wine but i didn't). pacal liked him, and i didn't want to earn a permanent -1 "you DoWd our friend" penalty. so before i declared, i used a spy to change hammurabi out of Hereditary Rule, which is pacal's favorite civic. instantly pacal quit giving hamm +6 credit for wise civics and dropped from pleased to cautious, perfect. i declared but didn't get a -1.

since i'd gone to the trouble of changing to despotism, i was a brat and used spies to change shaka and pacal to it too :mischief: their tech rate slowed way down for some reason. it was really easy for me because i had cristo redentor and was back to normal next turn, but they had to wait. obviously this doesn't work so well if you don't have CR, but it's something to have in your bag of tricks.

sometimes i give mansa a discount on economics, since FM is his favorite civic and i can't get credit for using it until he can use it too. gus almost always get constitution once i think i have statue of liberty safe if i'm not picking on him, since chances are i'll be running rep and he loves it too. if being friends with toku is really important to me, i'll give him banking cheap and run merc.

one game i stayed in HR even after i captured the pyramids and wanted to change to rep, so that alex would stay at friendly. it was worth it, since together we got isabella out of the way. after that i had shrine cities, beautiful land and a great relationship with alex so i did feel safe changing to rep. his favorite civic has changed in BtS, but that's an example of just how much i pay attention to that stuff sometimes, and i'm convinced it helps me. then again, i'm far worse at the warmonger stuff than everybody else is, so i need every bit of help making sure the other folks don't pick on me until i'm ready! i need to pick the timing of wars, not the other way around, that's for sure.

Top Bottom