How to install a mod (again)

Hi AlanH,
It was a matter of Pouakai not having posted updated G&K versions here, but only at the workshop. He posted the fix needed to the Vanilla version <culture>tags though on his "more wonders" thread. I've gotten the Nazca lines to work now. Thanks for the reply.

Matt

The line is:

Quote:
Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );
Simply add two hyphens like this:

Quote:
-- Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );

I did this, via the G&K package, but the Mod button still does not appear. ???

... in both copies of the MainMenu.lua file?

... in both copies of the MainMenu.lua file?

No, just one spot. I'll look for the other.

I've found no other .lua?

The first of the G&K FAQs (#11?) points to a thread where you have to read down a few posts to find ALL the information. As the situation seems to have stabilised, I should probably put together a single definitive recipe for this stuff now.

It's just all too confusing for me. I've made the -- before the mod button line in the .lua, however, I no longer have a Civ5.app. It's a Civ5G&K.app.

That's correct. Except there are two MainMenu.lua files to edit now as well.

That's correct. Except there are two MainMenu.lua files to edit now as well.

Right, but I cannot tell, from all those posts, exactly where the second one is. I have edited the MainMenu.lua file through the G&K.app.

Two posts in short succession in that thread:

The game software is now embedded in a package at

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app

Once you get to this package you can Open Package and it looks like the one that comes from the App Store. So the MainMenu.lua file is at :

Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

However, I have confirmed that commenting the usual line in this file does not enable the mods menu item. I suspect more drastic surgery may have been done by Aspyr to prevent us from enabling mods on the Mac version.

I've done a BBEdit multi-file scan of the whole Assets directory, and found this file:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

This has the same code in it as the one we all know and love, and if I edit that one ... the Mods menu pears and show me all my old mods. I'll leave it to others to discover whether any of them still work.

Hello,

After some sweat I managed to follow all steps of helpful directions except this step.

Macintosh Steam Civ 5 (not G&K)

Step 1: Mods typically come as .zip files or .civ5mod files. Ez7z expands either of these. A .zip file can also be expanded in the Finder, just by double clicking it.

Ez7z seems to be a PC only program.

The VEM mod I want to install is a .civ5mod file.

Putting the 900 kb file into the mods folder as instructed and restarting Civ 5 does not make it appear. (File is way too small, but thought it worth a try.)

So far as I can tell, all I'm not doing is expanding the .civ5mod file.

???

thanks in advance,

Cinematic

Hi, welcome :wavey:

You have to expand the .civ5mod file. The Mac version doesn't know how to read it.

Ez7z is a cross-platform program. Google gives me this link as the first hit for Ez7z

So it is Mac compatible--my original Google search led to a page that confidently announced the software as PC. This should be the last leg of the journey--I managed to get a map to run, so all I need is to successfully unpack this very cool looking VEM thing.

You da man, AlanH!

--C

Back to square one--I managed to unpack the VEM mods and put both folders into the MOD folder inside the documents / aspyr / Civ 5 location. (I assume the CivUP folder goes in the MOD folder.)

Nothing appears in the MODS menu, however.

I seem to have followed all the directions in the excellent AlanH instruction list.

???

Only troubleshooting step I've taken so far is to delete the Mod database file.

--C

Have you followed Iamgoofball's instructions, linked in FAQ #13? You have to replace InstalledPanel.xml.

I honestly must have missed something or I am not doing something correctly....I followed the path from Library all the way to FrontEnd, but when I open the folder, it is empty besides another file that says Multiplayer. I can't seem to view any .lua files at all, they don't appear in the folders.....any insight?

Hi, welcome. :wavey:

Which path did you follow all the way? And which version of Civ5 are you running?

Alan, I went to Application Support in the Library folder, but couldn't find the Civilization V: Campaign Edition folder inside it, do you know what it can be?

On Lion and Mountain Lion it has moved into ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition.

Something to do with sandboxing.

Can someone help me?
I 've done what is written here, and the "Mods" options appear in the menu, but I con't click on the options and is written in the bottom of the game screen "Invalid Registration Number".
I bought my Civ5 in App Store and when I put the original MainMenu.lua it comes back to normal.
Do you know what to do?

Top Bottom