How to join a PitBoss Game?

FunkyMonkee

Chieftain
How do you join to a PitBoss game? Are there contacts and reqular games to join up to? Does the league play Pitboss games?

I would like to join up a PitBoss game in a couple of weeks as I'm away for untill the 21st of Febraury. I'm off to the sunny Goldcoast and Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. :)

I like the idea of being able to play a few turns a day. Playing Civilization IV is a very addictive game, however its very time consuming and tiring to play as a continuous session. I haven't complete a game to its conclusion, thou I've had many good games which have lasted like 8 hours +. Most games end with frustration with quitters and problems with the system etc etc.

It's also extemely hard and frustrating at times to find reliable players. I enjoy the more relax scenerio where you not rushed, especially by impatient and rude players. There also needs to be some guidelines for regular breaks. Maybe Civ 4 could have an option to have regular intervals for like 10 minutes every 90 minutes for example. I know you can pause the game but having to plead for a break seems wrong after like 2 hours of play.

This could give you time to stretch, shower, eat or just review your civilization and admire your cities or oppoents.

I also find as the game progresses it almost becomes unmanageable due to time constraints and physical fatigue. My notebook which has expectional specifications after about 10 cities or when you have numerous units starts to slow down. This is noticable when flicking between cities views or troops. I've turned down all the graphic settings to their lowest to help the performance as well.

I really notice it when trying to queue items up in the city view. Most times it freezes a touch and it starts producing the incorect item. This is due to the lag causing me to select the incorrect item to build. Of course the more I try and rush the worse it becomes. It gets quite annoying when I've queued up 5 scouts instead of 5 axement and takes a while to correct it.

With Pitboss games do they have an option to play like a session of a few hours? I feel in the early stages that you would want to speed things up a bit before progressing to a few turns a day.

I've also tried league games however they seem extremly boring. Especially if they are turn based which most seem to be. They seemed favoured to the ones that sit back and build in their own little corner watching thier score. I actually played a game like this where no atempts to go to war were made. Even thou the game was set at constant war. So basically apart from myself noone had even attempted to explore a close to a neighbours boundaries. I think this might be due to the negative effect war would have on their score. How weird and extremly boring.

I would say they seem unrealist and encourage the development of bad habits. The game seems over before its even begun.

My favourite settings I've come across it the epic speed. Do people create games for this setting regulary for PB?

I feel at this speed it really brings out the true tactics of the game. You actually have to carefully planning your technology research paths. Focusing too much on one strain of research could have dramatic effects. Eg such as religions. And switching tactics takes a lot longer to implement.

Every unit seems at lot more valuable as they are a lot harder to replace. Things such as slavery come more into play. At faster speeds slavery seems to have little use. Only for rare the emergencies I feel it comes into play.

I'm looking forward to joining a Pitboss game. If there are any suggestions I would appreciate them. Also any guidelines for installation would be great. I've downloaded the necessary file but as yet I haven't installed it.

Cheers,

FunkyMonkee:crazyeye:

The best thing to do is watch the forum for one to be posted as starting. right now PB is considered to be "in beta" but I am currently playing in 2 of them and it runs very well. After it is out and a final version is in place i am sure there will be alot more of them. Probably pushing out PBEM as the way to play a casual game as people get used to it and see how much better it is.

The main PB game I am in we have a pretty tight group of 6 but we had to boot a few ppl before we got the right ones that could match our pace and were reliable. When we removed a players for lack of communication and missing turns we posted looking for a replacement. Some new players had to make do with a weaker CiV but now that they are "in" they will be starting our next game with us. We do a few sessions of 2 or 3 hours during the week and usually do one nice longer session over the weekend. We play with people we have confirmed ahead can all play in the same basic "time slot". For us it is 7-9 EST. We also do a 12 hour timer which means players have to be dedicated enough to often get up a bit early, log in, and do a turn in the morning before work. I feel this is very much the way to go.

I feel that you would never finish an epic speed Pittboss game. The turn around even with sessions is far too slow. People would lose interest or just fade away before you got done. Much like many of the PBEM you read about. A completed PBEM game is the eternally sought holy grail of Civ4.

The biggest componant of a good Pitboss game is having a good solid person running it.

Top Bottom