How to kill the Red Dragon?

Cast "courage" on your troops with an adept (Spirit Mana) to give them balls.
You can also cause a lot of damage with summons and then attack him with units that are immune to "fear" like puppets in case of summons, but since he gives a lot of XP to the unit defeating him, you should kill him with a unit that stays and can gain xp.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe undead are immune to fear so if you have pyre zombies or diseased corpses or drowns, you can dent him (maybe).
Also, moroi with 'blood rage' are immune to fear.
Also, illusions are immune to fear. Hit him round after round with Alazkam the assassin's mirror then finish him off with a drown or diseased corpse when he is very weak (or a couraged mortal unit).

undead, angels, demons, golems etc. Check the racial promotions of the units you can build, and check if there's a line stating "immune to fear".

other than that, as stated above: summons or the courage spell. Fireballs work aswell, but you'll need a lot of them (at least, they used to work)

Thanks for all the replies, killed him, cast courage on my stack, soften him up with cats. then it took about 7 vamps to finish him, 'one tuff mother'. :)

What's more fun is capturing him! Just soften him up with some fodder and then move in with your Beastmaster.

Yeah, just make sure to give him some XP by attacking with weak units before in the same round in order to be able to give him mobility promotion after capturing him.
Otherwise he'd have 0 movement points :p

As I pointed out in another thread, you can sometimes still use Acheron even with 0 movement, as long as he is in a coastal city or one square inland. Here's what you do: attack from a coastal square. When you capture him, raze his city. Then bring a Settler to the square where he is located (i.e. the square you attacked from). Settle there. Then you will be able to load him onto a ship and carry him around shooting off meteors. Theoretically, this would also work with the Trojan Horse.

The one time I killed Acheron it was with a dual-teaming Hemah and Saverous. Hemah threw elementals to soften him down and Saverous dealt the death-blow for grand XP.

Freyland's rare Helpful TidBit of the Day: You can load an otherwise immobile Archeron into your Trojan horse. If you have Obsidian Gates, you cannot teleport Archeron, but you can teleport your dragon-toting Greek Decepticon (the Trojan Horse).

As I pointed out in another thread, you can sometimes still use Acheron even with 0 movement, as long as he is in a coastal city or one square inland. Here's what you do: attack from a coastal square. When you capture him, raze his city. Then bring a Settler to the square where he is located (i.e. the square you attacked from). Settle there. Then you will be able to load him onto a ship and carry him around shooting off meteors. Theoretically, this would also work with the Trojan Horse.

So, you can't load him into a ship if you just capture him + his city? You must raze and then build your own city on top of him?

hey! Wouldn't a haste spell give Acheron a movement of 1? I did not have that problem but I just got BTS and am playing on chieftan and warlord. Captured Acheron and he earned two promotions in the battle. With the movement of 1, he's not that useful offensively, but he's quite a good defender.

I think the AI would factor him into its decision as to whether to attack you or vassalize to you.

(Is it true that you cannot teleport Acheron? I did teleport Abashi.)

As to attacking Acheron -- when I attacked him he had four first strikes. That's difficult to get past, but mounted units are most likely to earn the immune to first strikes promotion.

-- later edit -- you're right! He doesn't move. But he's quite powerful defense. In the game in which I captured him, he ended up on a coast tile on an important waterway and the meteors were useful for naval battles. Then, when a border closed, he got bounced into a city that was not connected to my territory. But with Acheron in the city, the AI did not attack it.

hey! Wouldn't a haste spell give Acheron a movement of 1?
No, because he is magic immun.

So, you can't load him into a ship if you just capture him + his city? You must raze and then build your own city on top of him?

When you defeat him he comes to the plot that you attacked from and will not be in his City anymore.

Also note that you will have a hard time getting him EPs if his movement is 0. So before you defeat him, make sure to lose a few attacks so he will have enough EPs to get Mobility.

Anyone killed the Red Dragon yet, all my men haven't the bottle to take him out.

A matter of calculation: total strength Red Dragon vs. total strength attack force (see also 2nd post). Yeah I killed it. And the Dragon may be magic immune, that doesn't mean you can't use magic to upgrade your attack force.

I just smote him last night... he might be magic immune, but apparently crush is physical damage. I sent like 4 crushes at once and noticed the last one did 20% damage. Pretty significant.

And good call on the movement thing, I totally forgot that captured animals move to the attacker.

Oh yea, almost forgot... I had a paladin that was upgraded from a hunter with capture animals... but I couldn't capture the dragon. Is this changed from before?

Oh yea, almost forgot... I had a paladin that was upgraded from a hunter with capture animals... but I couldn't capture the dragon. Is this changed from before?

He's a beast unit, not an animal unit, so you need the Subdue Beast promotion, not the Subdue Animal promotion.

Top Bottom