Iran, the Red Sea, and the West (tm).

Estebonrober

Deity

A dramatic escalation in the possibility of wider conflict after the US widens the conflict. I'm not under the delusion that the Houthis or Iranians pose a serious threat to the US Navy assets in the area beyond getting a lucky hit in, but the odds of that lucky hit are dramatically increasing every day. Everyone here I think is well aware of the US government's penchant for using an incident to further its goals of escalating violence on a particular target... It makes me wonder how far along the Pentagon and State Dept are on their plans and actions ongoing versus what we currently know.

It'd be interesting if they hit and sink the ship our own stupid prime minister sent - despite more serious Eu countries refusing to send anything.
This wasn't "our" war and we should have stayed out of it - already a Patriot missile system was given by us to noble Saudi to continue its genocidal war.

I think all this and with nuke. Israil will use it on Iran, and UN will do nothing. Then north Korea, then maybe Russia.
And, God save us

The Houthis are committing piracy on the open seas. More than half the ships they have fired at or boarded were not heading to either Israel or Gaza. I suppose the Not West thinks piracy is cool.

A dramatic escalation in the possibility of wider conflict after the US widens the conflict. I'm not under the delusion that the Houthis or Iranians pose a serious threat to the US Navy assets in the area beyond getting a lucky hit in, but the odds of that lucky hit are dramatically increasing every day. Everyone here I think is well aware of the US government's penchant for using an incident to further its goals of escalating violence on a particular target... It makes me wonder how far along the Pentagon and State Dept are on their plans and actions ongoing versus what we currently know.
Let's be optimists and presume that the Iranian terrorist republic goes hunting pirates.

The Houthis are committing piracy on the open seas. More than half the ships they have fired at or boarded were not heading to either Israel or Gaza. I suppose the Not West thinks piracy is cool.

I'll proudly wear the "Not West" hat when the West is actively collaborating genocidal warfare in a region. Why should you sit fat and happy while helping pay for the erasure of millions of humans thousands of miles away?

Piracy has a long long history in the West, so the West(tm) thinks piracy is cool... I'd rather not see it, but then again, these tanker companies are the bottom of the barrel on so many social factors that I could care less. They do insane tax sheltering, labor law avoidance, environmental and climatological damage to the tens of billions per year and are just generally owned and operated by what I would call legalized global pirates. So, get wrecked. I do not feel bad for them. I am deeply concerned about the expansion of violence in the region...

If I was Iran, I would be plotting something... that is not something I look forward to...

Let's be optimists and presume that the Iranian terrorist republic goes hunting pirates.
Maybe from Prague you can lob "terrorist republic" out there, from the States it is launching bombs from a glass house.

Piracy has a long long history in the West, so the West(tm) thinks piracy is cool...
Piracy has a long history in Asia too. It is not just a "western" phenomenon. I guess those who are "not west" also think it is cool.

The Houthis say the attacks were in solidarity with Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip, where Israel is continuing a months-long bombardment campaign.

Doesn't sound like a particularly smart group of people...
Oh well. The US has been killing pirates since Thomas Jefferson at least, up to the guys who took Captain Phillips. If world commerce needs the protection of the US Navy then so be it.

I'll proudly wear the "Not West" hat when the West is actively collaborating genocidal warfare in a region. Why should you sit fat and happy while helping pay for the erasure of millions of humans thousands of miles away?

Piracy has a long long history in the West, so the West(tm) thinks piracy is cool... I'd rather not see it, but then again, these tanker companies are the bottom of the barrel on so many social factors that I could care less. They do insane tax sheltering, labor law avoidance, environmental and climatological damage to the tens of billions per year and are just generally owned and operated by what I would call legalized global pirates. So, get wrecked. I do not feel bad for them. I am deeply concerned about the expansion of violence in the region...

If I was Iran, I would be plotting something... that is not something I look forward to...
what's the point of this? Houthis are doing the planet a favor or something?

So, who can afford to and has the audacity to mess with US, UK & Co shipping in the Red Sea? Don't answer, it is a rhetorical question. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is in USA strategic interest to keep peace along the straits, but it's too late for peace - commitments have been made. Lets say that by some miracle decision will be made to shelve the ongoing hostilities elsewhere. Then, perhaps those along the Red Sea coastline can find themselves a better occupation than to send drones and boats towards passing freighters. I think we're seeing collective demonstration of what can happen. It is also very cheap business, to mess with western maritime profits. Much cheaper than to send full sized fleets on an indefinite mission.

Your best chance for temporary peace in Middle East is Donald J. He just wants to be loved and to get filthy rich, not start another world war, like some of his peers. He is simpler in that way. Then again, Don has his yuge plans regarding China and bringing it in line with his vision. So, I am not sure it will be a better kind of world war in the end. Like always, we're screwed whatever happens.

Piracy has a long history in Asia too. It is not just a "western" phenomenon. I guess those who are "not west" also think it is cool.
Sorry I mistyped my sentence, it was meant to be, *so the "West" thinks piracy is cool too*.

My bad @Birdjaguar , I always meant the reply to be like piracy is very universal.

The Houthis say the attacks were in solidarity with Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip, where Israel is continuing a months-long bombardment campaign.

Doesn't sound like a particularly smart group of people...
Oh well. The US has been killing pirates since Thomas Jefferson at least, up to the guys who took Captain Phillips. If world commerce needs the protection of the US Navy then so be it.

what's the point of this? Houthis are doing the planet a favor or something?
What's the point of Israel committing genocide? Are the Israelis doing the planet a favor or something?

Fwiw, for me the point is that the genocide of a people should suck and frankly exerting pressure on international trade seems like a pretty legit riposte considering the disparity in power of the groups involved.

I have zero loyalty to this type of project and jsut want our part in it to end as soon as possible.

Got it. I’m an agent when Houthis attack cargo ships, but not an agent when I vote in elections.
Why not both?

Maybe from Prague you can lob "terrorist republic" out there, from the States it is launching bombs from a glass house.
I see. Yes US bombing Iranese general was also terrorism in some way.

Speaking of terrorism, Israel doesn't mind bombing stuff in foreign countries, including Lebanon and Syria. I suppose that too is considered illegal in international law, but who cares.
Not that it's the only one doing it.
I would really welcome some insight here. Lebanon is controlled by terrorists, most of Syria also. Is Assad legitimate now? What about Turkish invasion? Russian soldiers still there? It seems all shady to blame Israel only?

Last edited:
I would really welcome some insight here. Lebanon is controlled by terrorists, most of Syria also. Is Assad legitimate now? What about Turkish invasion? Russian soldiers still there? It seems all shady to blame Israel only?
"Terrorist" is really jsut a way of saying, forces not on my team. Its lost all meaning to me.

Terrorism (the act of using violence to inflict fear on a population), should be kept to jsut that. Assassination would not qualify. Exchanging artillery fire would not qualify. Drone attacks of assets of the enemy would not qualify...

Leveling an entire region of my own state (like the Assad regime did at one point, or like Israel is doing now) is terrorism. Knocking down a large building of civilians at work or at home (especially unexpectedly) counts as terrorism. Hezbollah I'm pretty sure would count as an organization that has used terrorism in its past. Iran I think has but I'm having trouble recalling an actual terror attack I know it was responsible for...

The US government is the largest terrorist organization on Earth currently and it will take another power decades to catch it... stares off at the Korean War.

Top Bottom