How to launch the ingame worldbuilder

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
Update with the Spring patch, thanks for the post @LeeS

You don't need to edit the lua file anymore.
  1. Open file Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI/AppOptions.txt
  2. find
    Code:
    ;Enable WorldBuilder.
    EnableWorldBuilder 0
  3. Change to
    Code:
    ;Enable WorldBuilder.
    EnableWorldBuilder 1
  4. Save change to the file
  5. Start the game and enter the Additional Content menu
  6. The WorldBuilder button should now be available
    Spoiler :

Last edited:
Was pretty fun to mess around with. I wonder if there's any way to access the Autoplay feature at this point.

Nice work dude, hopefully we can get AI autoplay working as well.

...They will release the regular WorldBuilder as well, right? And fix those horrible wiggly borders of the hex tiles in the editor? :dubious: I'm not going to spend ~500 hours working on a map in such an environment... :rolleyes:

Need some help here :) I select New Map and I start a new game with my selected Civilization.

1) How do I know where in the map my selected civilization starts in order to alter it to my likings? (and where the city states are as well)
2) Once I make all the changes I want, how do I go to the actual game and play?

I tried to save game while on world builder, but then couldnt find it to load it... Any more info would be appreciated, thank you

I've added a warning in OP, there must be reasons why this is hidden, I'll try to have a look at what we can do for saving/loading.

Oh I see :) It was too good to be true hehe :). But I will keep checking here in case you manage to find a way!

Just adding some notes here.

- You can load your maps by entering the WorldBuilder, then exiting to the main menu (whereupon your Single Player > Load Game will show you all of your saved maps)
- You can only load maps that were not created by using "LOC_MAP_WORLDBUILDER" (only maps that were made with scripts i.e Continents/Shuffle etc.)
- Adding more than the max civs (depending on map size) although possible will cause the game to crash upon loading

Lungora has created a pretty A+ Earth Map utilising this, but we're unable to play it due to the game crashing upon loading (even without going over the civ limit). Will keep trying however.

Last edited:
I tried using this 'World Builder', for the hell of it... I won't bother to list its inadequacies, but suffice it to say they're numerous. I hope they'll start from scratch when they make the 'real' WB, 'cause this one is as clunky as it is hideous. :sad:

Very small tutorial to launch the in game worldbuilder, it assumes that you know how to use the firetuner from civ5

6/ type "OnWorldBuilder()" in the firetuner invite then press enter

I remember using firetuner a few years ago, but i have no idea how to "invite". If you could explain this with 2 or 3 sentences, please be so kind. If its more complicated, i will have to wait for the official map editor.

I remember using firetuner a few years ago, but i have no idea how to "invite". If you could explain this with 2 or 3 sentences, please be so kind. If its more complicated, i will have to wait for the official map editor.
the line at the bottom of the firetuner windows, where you can type text.

Just adding some notes here.

- You can load your maps by entering the WorldBuilder, then exiting to the main menu (whereupon your Single Player > Load Game will show you all of your saved maps)
- You can only load maps that were not created by using "LOC_MAP_WORLDBUILDER" (only maps that were made with scripts i.e Continents/Shuffle etc.)
- Adding more than the max civs (depending on map size) although possible will cause the game to crash upon loading

At this point Lungora has created an amazing Earth Map utilising this, but we're unable to play it due to the game crashing upon loading (even without going over the civ limit). Will keep trying however.
I've tried to put a small test map into a mod, but got a crash when I tried to load it...

But from the way I finally managed to make it appears in the list, the game may have tried to load it as a mapscript instead of a saved map.

I'm unclear if anyone has gotten custom maps actually loaded as a playable game because after messing with maps I never could and it usually crashes and the load menu doesn't show up until after restarting unless you edit maps again.

However I did get a custom map loaded via the custom rulesets. I copied the multiplayer and tutorials scenario techniques.

For others to follow along I created a folder called TZ under My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods and put the 2 files below in spoiler area and the map called TZ.Civ6map which was in Saves\WorldBuilder.
Spoiler :

Files:
mods/TZ/TZ.modinfo
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="FC885C5B-DF9B-441B-8F6D-B009CAA0D003" version="1">
   <Properties>
       <Name>LOC_MOD_TITLE</Name>
       <Teaser>LOC_MOD_TEASER</Teaser>
       <Description>LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION</Description>
       <Authors>LOC_MOD_AUTHORS</Authors>
   </Properties>
   <Settings>
       <Map id="TZ_MAP">
           <Properties>
               <Group>TZ_Maps</Group>
               <Name>LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME</Name>
               <Description>LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION</Description>
           </Properties>
           <Items>
               <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
           </Items>
       </Map>
       <Custom id="TZ_SETTINGS">
           <Items>
               <File>TZ_Config.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </Custom>     
   </Settings>
   <LocalizedText>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TITLE"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_TEASER"><en_US>A simple test.</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>This is a basic test</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_MOD_AUTHORS"><en_US>TZ</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME"><en_US>TZ Map</en_US></Text>
       <Text id="LOC_TZ_MAP_DESCRIPTION"><en_US>A basic test</en_US></Text>
   </LocalizedText>
   <Files>
       <File>TZ.Civ6Map</File>
        <File>TZ_Config.xml</File>
   </Files>
</Mod>
Notes: I generated a new mod id just because everyone should to maintain uniqueness.

mods/TZ/TZ_Config.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameInfo>
   <RuleSets>
       <Row>
           <RuleSetType>RULESET_TZ</RuleSetType>
           <Name>TZ</Name>
           <Description>TZ Description</Description>
           <SupportsMultiPlayer>0</SupportsMultiPlayer>
       </Row>
   </RuleSets>
   <RulesetDomainOverrides>
       <Row Ruleset="RULESET_TZ" ParameterId="Map" Domain="TZ_Maps" />
   </RulesetDomainOverrides>
</GameInfo>
Now start Civ6. Goto Mods. Enable TZ. Back. Single Player. Create Game. Advanced Setup.

Now select TZ from under Ruleset instead of TZ. Now Map shows up without localized text but is LOC_TZ_MAP_NAME but dont care at the moment since that looks close. Starting will load the customized map. Not sure if it uses the other things like difficulty or game speed or number of players.

I was also able to override the player start location to a desired location rather than random. You can change the player 1 location by setting that with the map editor. I don't think Players are set in advance but city-states are. You might have to set all player positions for this to work.

Edit: Regarding Firetuner. I had to do more steps than what has been explained here so will give probably equally brief and useless guide. 1. Download Civ 5 SDK from Steam Tools. 2. Run SDK. Select FireTuner. Start Civ6. Leave in top menu. Select *New Panel*. Select Mods checkbox. Select OK. Select New Control. Select Action Control. Type "OnWorldBuilder()" in Action area. Select Test. >> Should get "Command ran without errors." in Output.

Last edited:
Top Bottom