How to Make Units With Bryce 5

odintheking said:
Hey, BryceMasters, I have a question, how do you make explosions and lasers? I know Hikaro and Bjornlo have done these, so how?

I missed this; have you figured it out or is this still something you want help with?

Mirc said:
Thanks for the tutorial! I learnt a lot from it.

But I have a question: How do you select exactly the object you want? I can't seem to select what I want, but just what is in front of my object... I wasn't able to complete the cannon from the tutorial just because I got stuck when I couldn't select one of the cylinders.

Items can be selected individually or by groups.
They can be selected by color as well (which color group you assign them too from the table of 25 colors.
You can click on the little globe in the lower right corner and toggle back and forth between the animation stuff and the editing stuff.
Tha animation stuff includes settings for frames, etc.
The editing stuff includes a menu (on the bottom tool bar) which allows you to select individual meshes, if you imported any, and groups of items as well.

just out of curiosity, is there a way to negate all animations in a file? like, if i had something animated, could i click a "wipe animations" button that cancelles all animations?

Bjorn, I need help with those animations. Also, how do you get a unit perfectly centered in your template? I have the change the coordinates for every direction, and I'm sure that will screw things up when I work on the animations. Also, does anyone know how to get GIMP to load pallettes?

Quinzy said:
just out of curiosity, is there a way to negate all animations in a file? like, if i had something animated, could i click a "wipe animations" button that cancelles all animations?
The shift key held down while clicking on the - (minus) key in the key frames. Then imediately keyframe again so that the current setting is taken for all frames.

odintheking said:
Bjorn, I need help with those animations. Also, how do you get a unit perfectly centered in your template? I have the change the coordinates for every direction, and I'm sure that will screw things up when I work on the animations. Also, does anyone know how to get GIMP to load pallettes?
You do not rotate the unit. You center it just once. Then you parent the main camera to the ground and rotate the ground... sorta like that moutain and mohmed thing taken to the logical extreme....

If the mohamed can't stay centered while spin around to look at the world, the world must spin around him while he stands still.

This is not my idea, this is another Wyrmshadow tip.

It works much better. No re-centering. Just spin and render.

laser are just cylinders with a very high ambient color. and a some specularity, but the specularity and highlight color must be near matches to the diffuse and ambient colors, not the typical grey.

Explosions are not much more. Just big expanding balls of fire. Occasionally other colors and debris included. Just remember with fires you need to use key frames on the material so it is not boring, but seems to pulse and flow like real fire.

There was a link either in this thread or the "Bryce is free" thread with a tutorial on really nice flames for fires.

My color when it appears is more purplish. There is barely any magenta. On the blank, it has the magenta, but on the document, it's purplish.

D'Artagnan59 said:
My color when it appears is more purplish. There is barely any magenta. On the blank, it has the magenta, but on the document, it's purplish.
If you used my blank, and it turned weird colors, you did something to either the lighting, sky, or camera. Check those things.... if you did not use my blank as your basis, maybe it would save time to start over, and call this a learning process.

Also, before you go straight into units, I suggest you learn Bryce a little. Just play with. Make small but fun goals.

Make a ocean
make an island in this ocean.
Make a fishing dock.
Make a cabin by the dock.
Update the cabin to include hallow interior, openings... have the interior wallpaper be different than the outside. Add a fireplace add a chimney. use boleans to make the chimminey actually connet to the fireplace.
Add a chair, a cabinet and a crude table for your fisherman.
add a distant island.

Baby steps are as exciting, but are a good place to begin.

Ok, as my gift to the community, I've uploaded all the BR5 files that I used for making the Galbadian Elite soldier... Hopefully it will help with those attempting to create Humanoid units In Bryce 5.

Hey, Hikaro, I remember you mentioning that you can make one model invisible, and make another model kind of... go on top of it, and have them do the same animation, like you said with the X-wing and Z-95. Perhaps that can be done with the Galbadian soldier animations, so that other humanoids can be made? If so, teach us how!

Top Bottom