How to play as America?

Viralvoid

Warlord
Hello everyone, after playing America a few times, I have found that I am always behind in terms of everything.
I don't know how to use his UA properly, or what is the best approach in order to win.

His UA is good for building early wonders such as stonehenge and pyramids, but on the midgame, I have found myself clueless on how to use his UA anymore, and instead of investing buildings, I "assumed" that buying tiles could be more useful, and I have lot of gold problems on the early game.

I have to admit that I really don't like to play tall, so other than the Smithsonian tourism boost for CV, is there a good strategy for America as wide? can they win diplomatic, scientific, and/or domination? How can I properly use his UB an UA, especially the +1 sight?

Overall, what is your best approach for America?

EDIT: Is his starting bias, really some sort of flat plains? how can I use/overcome such starting bias?

You have a good early game for two reasons. The extra sight on your units allows for more goody huts than the others, and it's a great military asset after that. Then, your early purchases boosts the early game in several ways, by grabbing good tiles regardless of the owner and adding production in the most critical moments. You used it for ensuring some wonders. I like to use it for rushing settlers in the capital so it keeps growing.

After that, you can steal a resource or two sometimes, but the great thing to do with this ability is opening a hole for your citadels. A bothersome neighbor? Claim all the tiles in your side and move your cannons without problems.

Your unique building really favors wide, since it boosts all the museums, IIRC.

About your unique unit, just like other unique units, use that time for expansion.

Smithsonian is a very strong national wonder if you centralize tourism, so I would recommend Tradition, Artistry, Rationalism and make Washington a Wonder factory.

The other approach I'd take is Authority, Fealty, Imperialism and Manifest Destiny everyone, then plopping the Smithsonian in whatever your shiniest city is.

No matter what you do though, Culture should be one of your top priorities IMO

There is a photojournal for America somewhere, I search briefly but I didn't find it.

Yuh, I read it somewhere, but I think it was tall.

Ok then, I think I'll continue playing tall, since it is the most viable for him. :crazyeye:

Ok then, I think I'll continue playing tall, since it is the most viable for him. :crazyeye:
Reread the Smithsonian. +5 culture +5 science in all your museums and broadcast towers. You can definitely play wide. Your UA can help you wonderwhoring for tall or fast settling for wide, so make your choice based on the map strengths. Also, it would be a pity to have little wars and not make use of the above mentioned citadel strategy (works best with authority).

Grabbing early wonders is America's biggest strength imo. Go tall, grab early wonders, then snowball off those wonders into a culture victory.

America is versatile and I've found it plays wide just fine. Tile purchasing can rush your early capital infrastructure and grab early wonders and/or quickly build settlers. You can be greedier with your secondary cities since purchasing 2nd and 3rd ring tiles is cheaper and more rewarding. At some point it will be cheaper to rush buildings directly rather than purchase tiles but that transition point should be easy to spot. Progress-Artistry works just fine if you want to emphasize the tourism aspect of America.

I frequently find gold to be a problem when playing Tradition which is why I'm hesitant to go that route for America unless the map points me in that direction.

He can do pretty well with progress. Cheaper tiles is nice, progress probably will buy the most tiles in a game. You can build a wonder by buying tiles as a neat early game option. Then win late game with the Smithsonian's powerful bonuses to culture and science on a big empire. Its a weird game because you have pretty strong ancient era, then you are super weak until the late game.

I tend not to get much use out of minutemen.

He can do pretty well with progress. Cheaper tiles is nice, progress probably will buy the most tiles in a game. You can build a wonder by buying tiles as a neat early game option. Then win late game with the Smithsonian's powerful bonuses to culture and science on a big empire. Its a weird game because you have pretty strong ancient era, then you are super weak until the late game.

I tend not to get much use out of minutemen.

Yeah, I'm playing it rn, and I cheated the game (I think)
I took tradition.

I explored the area, and realized that I am alone on some pretty island(s) and with sea monopoly (whales), lots of water, fishes, and atolls..
Strong early game, built Stonehenge, Hanging Gardens, and Parthenon.
Since all the lands/islands were mine, I settled them out of greed.

About 12 cities were founded, but couldn't afford any tiles, behind in tech, culture, Capital with only 12 population, all in all, my empire is large but weak and unhappy empire. The reason for that is, I can steal some luxury from other civs, in the north a cocoa, in the south, coppers, west were islands, atolls, and gems.

I grew tired managing each city with very low production, so I quit.
I really loved the map, so I replayed, I know the locations and good spots, so it is cheating right?
I took Progress instead of Tradition, and yeah, I love it.

Every city is now updated in infrastructure, better resource networks, and a powerful religion.
Good spot in science and culture.
I loved it playing Progress because of the map, I guess.

Hanging Gardens and Parthenon? So you wanted to stay tall or to expand? Tradition can definitely expand, but rather using puppets and controling cities only when they are self-sufficient (or by settling very very slowly, so you can babycare your new cities). Parthenon does not fit, in my opinion.
How long did it take for you to meet other civs? You know, isolated starts are asking for sailing + Great Lighthouse and even Compass, even if you want to stay tall.

Hanging Gardens and Parthenon? So you wanted to stay tall or to expand? Tradition can definitely expand, but rather using puppets and controling cities only when they are self-sufficient (or by settling very very slowly, so you can babycare your new cities). Parthenon does not fit, in my opinion.
How long did it take for you to meet other civs? You know, isolated starts are asking for sailing + Great Lighthouse and even Compass, even if you want to stay tall.

Well, I really wanted to play it tall, but ended up expanding.
With America, I managed to meet them quite faster (+1 sight). They were from another part of the sea (on the east). The west is a free space, actually I am not that isolated, the east is still filled with other 2-4 civs, only 2-5 coastal tiles before another landmass. I am technically not alone, but the view is, I can settle the free space on my own, If I let others settle there, that would cause tension.

Although, with the said 4 civs, I have no or far bordering cities, that is why I considered myself alone on an island(s)/landmass, but not isolated in the term of continents.

Played America a while back and complained about Minutemen. Then I started building them from Military Academies. You can get Range promo right out the gate. Very fun unit.

Top Bottom