How to play with sixty resources

Was there resolution to this thread about playing with more resources. If you use the huge resource pcx posted on this site, what is the limit for how may resources you can add to a scenario before it crashes?

Originally posted by bcaspius
Was there resolution to this thread about playing with more resources. If you use the huge resource pcx posted on this site, what is the limit for how may resources you can add to a scenario before it crashes?

I am play-testing a mod with 64 resources. They all show up proprerly. However, the game is crashing at times, which I think is related to buildings, rather than resources. I set some of the new resources as requirements to build certain improvements, like stone for aqueducts; but I also put in a bunch of new buildings, like textile mill if you have cotton, or brickworks if you have clay. I think the problem lies in the art files of the buildings, not the resources. :(

Originally posted by Drusus
The limit is not 8, at least not in my mod. Did you try to add strategic resources?

Not yet :) I've just heard it so many times I've tentatively assumed it's true.

-Oz

How does adding 80 resources affect distribution? If you made all resources the same appearance ratio, will the addition of each new resource increase the total number of resources that appear on the map, or does the additon of each new resource go against the maxiumum, such that every other resource is now shows up less?

bcaspius, I don't worry about that, because I don't play on random maps. I make my own, and place all the resources myself. Of course, I can't control where a resource will disappear from, and then re-appear; but I can set the disappearance ratio, even with luxury resources. As of now I have 67 resources in my mod.

Ok.... I've been able to add the extra resources just fine... but it seems that if I start to accumulate too many resources in the cities strategic resource box the game will crash when I try to open a city screen. Is anyone else having this problem? If not then perhaps I have a problem w one of my resources or something... but I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Is there a way around this or a patch or something? I thaught that maybe changing the city interface to move some of those buttons and stuff might help? Sounds ambitious to me... but I'm thinking it's not as hard as it sounds if you just know how. Not sure if that would fix it or not though. Or maybe there is another work around...

The problem is that even if you can work most things w/o being able to open the city screen there are times in the game when it can't be reasonably avoided, like when you cap a city... and that effectively dead ends the game. :( Anyway... not being able to open the city screen can mess things up and makes the game less fun... So if anyone knows what's going on here and how to fix it please reply. :)

Defender, I am having the same problem. However, it doesn't seem to be related to the number of strategic resources in the city screen. Rather, it seems to be related to the luxury resources. The only way I have been able to capture a city in some games is to raze all the roads to it first. So if the luxury is conencted by a road, and you try to access the city screen, it causes the game to crash. It's only on certain icons though. I think the key is to re-do the civilopedia and make sure the icons are listed in the correct order. I will try that when I get back in town at the end of the week.

You know... I did not think about it but I think you are right... That is VERY encouraging cus I believe that it is something that I should be able to fix. (had the problem been too many strat resources I don't know how fixable that is... ) Now I just have to figure out exactly how to fix it... Hehe... Should be fun... or not. But hey, if I can get it or you can give me another pointer I think we can get this thing licked and get back to having fun.

Thanks to you I think my chances of picking up the upcoming expansion(and for that matter CivPTW) has just risen CONSIDERABLY. :) THANKS MUCH. :)

I really hope I can fix this... cus I'm rather enjoying my mod so far. :)

Ok... so far I have confirmed that what you say is correct. It is the Luxeries and not the strat resources.... And your idea to raize the roads in your luxeries space has allowed me to continue my games basically unaffected, which I'm VERY happy about.

However, I have been unable to pin down the reason for the bug as of yet... I'm not so sure that it's the Civilopedia cus my strat resources have the exact same type of entries there as my Luxeries and they are not having a prob. Then I thaught maybe it was the fact that as someone stated the pictures for new luxeries don't show up in the city screen. But I'm not so sure of that either as it does not mess me up to have resources that I've traded for that have no picture...

Next I'm looking into whether it might be only some particular luxeries or if it's all of them. I think I'll just keep playing around w this for a bit and see if I can find a cause that looks likely before I dive into fixing a bunch of things that prolly won't help and might mess things up...

Just thaught I'd pass on my notes/ideas incase they might help you, as we seem to be looking for a fix to the same prob.

I think that may be it... I got two luxeries, I was having problems with the orange but when I got wool I had no problem with it... That starts to narrow it down... Some of them seem to be having problems and others not.... Now what could cause that? Gonna have to look into it.

I hope all this sharing notes will help if you are working on the same prob... two heads are better than one and all. Hehe. :)

I'm thinking that it might be one of two things...

First: My resources chart has a blank picture and therefore my editor skips an icon number. The picture space for icon number 35 is blank, right between pearl and banana.... could that mess me up since that means that my icon numbers jump from 34 to 36? I'm looking into whether all the luxeries numbered higher than 35 are messed up and the ones below it not...

Second: I notice that the origional resource chart has all the resources in order: Strategic, Luxury, Bonus in that order. No randomness.... My resources however are totally random... here a strategic, there a Luxury, etc. Not in any real order that way at all. Could that be the problem?

Still looking into it...

Any ideas are appreciated. :)

Defender, I re-ordered the resources in the .bix file to reflect the strategic-luxury-bonus order. Then I added my new luxuries in both the .bix and .pcx files. I added them alphabetically, skipping 6 spaces (spaces 17-22) for the 6 strategic resources I have added. Right now I have limited my mod to 12 additional luxuries. As you can see below, I have added coffee, cotton, crabs, flowers, fruit, marble, olives, pearls, relics, rubies, tea, and tobacco. I still have to re-order some of the bonus resources, which I hope to get to tomorrow. Once I do that, I hope to be able to play-test my mod, and see if the city screen bug still appears. I'll let you know.

Attachments

• res2.jpg
    res2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 438
Ok... I have 55 resources atm. Of these 15 are luxuries and 40 are Strategic... But my luxuryicons_small is unchanged. Just the starting 8 icons top and bottom. Looks like I have a lot of work to do?

So... I need to get my resources in order: strat, luxuries, bonus in both the resources and and the luxuryicons_small files. And I need to make sure that the luxuries are in spaces 41-55 in the luxuryicons_small files and we hope that will fix the prob, yes? Unfortuanately, I will need to find a larger luxuries table first, correct? Or maybe I can make one? I have no idea...

I was thinking the same thing, about finding a bigger .pcx file to fit in the extra luxuries. But I wanted to test out having 6 additional strats, 12 extra lux's, and several more bonuses first. Gotta go to girlfriend's house for a cookout, will get to this later! :)

I am playing with over 80 resources, and have had crashes, but cannot pinpoint it to this resource issue. I have so many strategic resources, that they do not fit in the civilopedia box, so I have had to remove some from there (but keep them in the game).

I used the mega resource list that was posted on this site for the icons themselves. I don't know if there are in any particular order, but if you are looking for a test, find that resouces.pcx and it may help you figure it out. If you can't, let me know and I will post the link.

My problem with resources is distribution. If I give every resource 200 appearance ratio (luxury and strategic) the game will create a map and put 2,3,4,5... of the same resource together, and in clusters throughout the map. This makes it impossible to generate something automatically. Any thoughts would be great.

Top Bottom