How to save the jungle?

Der PH

Combat Smurf
I don’t like that all the jungle is chopped down so early in the game. In order to preserve some or even most of the jungle until the modern age, I plan to rise the time needed to clear jungle by a factor of at least 10, maybe much more. Another method would be to change the tech needed to clear jungle from iron working to something much later, but this seems a little too radical.
Has anybody tried something similar? If yes, please tell me about your experiences.

You removed BUILD_REMOVE_JUNGLE (in CIV4UnitInfos.xml) with worker and than, you create an unit who can remove the jungle and who appear with a tech more future ?

In Rise of Mankind, RoM:A New Dawn and Caveman2Cosmos we added a worthwhile improvement that could be built on the jungle, a Jungle Camp.

I removed the negative yield on food (plenty of food in the jungle, no?).

I added a hammer yield although this is not really justified. It just gives you one more reason not to remove the jungle.

I also put the iGrowth tag to 40 instead of 16. Jungle grows back faster.

I added a cost to remove the jungle (3 gold). I've increased the iTime to 600.

That's it!

I changed the jungle cut to steam power
gave it +1 food, but -1 commerce
made plantations, camps and mines (last with an increased build time) buildable on jungles

I dont think x10 cut will work. It will stall the AI, who doesnt really care about long build times.

The +1 food actually makes me reluctant to cut it down even though it still have negative health.

You could remove the Jungle :yuck: modifiers on surrounding cities. That, while slightly unrealistic, would give less incentive to cut them down.

You removed BUILD_REMOVE_JUNGLE (in CIV4UnitInfos.xml) with worker and than, you create an unit who can remove the jungle and who appear with a tech more future ?

Much easier. Just change the PrereqTech in CIV4BuildInfos.xml for BUILD_REMOVE_JUNGLE from Iron Working to Replaceable Parts or something like that.

OK.
It's not as easy as I thought.

Current achievements:
I managed to remove the negative food yield and to make camps buildable on every jungle tile, even without elephants, and providing +1 food.
So far so good.

Now the problems:
What I want to do next is to restrict resourceless camps to tiles with fresh water. I tried this by activating <bFreshWaterMakesValid>, as it is for farms, but still the camp can be built on every jungle tile. What am I doing wrong?

Second problem: Building mines without the need to chop the jungle.
I added

<FeatureMakesValids>
<FeatureMakesValid>
<FeatureType>FEATURE_JUNGLE</FeatureType>
<bMakesValid>1</bMakesValid>
</FeatureMakesValid>
</FeatureMakesValids>

as I did for camps, but for mines it does not work and I don't understand why.

Any ideas?

It might be that the tag <bFreshWaterMakesValid> does not work like that. It is set to 1 for Workshops and for Cottages and I've never seen that they needed fresh water to be built.

But look at the Farm, it has two tags: <bRequiresIrrigation> and <bCarriesIrrigation> set to 1. Try with those.

And as DH said, look at the BuildInfos file in the Units folder and try to remove the tag <FeatureStruct> Jungle for the camp improvement.

bFreshWaterMakesValid makes it possible to build Workshops and Cottages in terrains that are not suitable.

Cottages by right are only allowed to be built in Grass/Plains.

Freshwater makes it possible to be built in deserts and tundra

Having both bFreshWaterMakesValid and Jungles simply means:
By right, only buildable in Jungles.
However, tiles with FreshWater also make it possible.

Now everything seems to work as it should.

Thank you all for your help.

In order to avoid bonus resources that can't be exploited until the jungle can be chopped (-> replaceable parts) I banned rice from jungle and now I try to make pigs available with camps additional to pastures. Or is it impossible to have two improvements which provide the same resource?

As vincentz already told it is possible.
The only drawback is that the resource becomes available for trade only, when you got animal husbandry, probably due to the <TechCityTrade> tag in CIV4BonusInfos.xml, but this is not a real problem.

Thus everything seems ready for my new jungle experience.

I just started a huge map marathon game with the new rules and when I'm going to finish it in a few weeks I will tell you, how it worked. :)

Once again thank you all.

Top Bottom