How To Understand What The AI Are Really Feeling.

Mark Young

Formerly Sir Eric
With the advent of so many wonderful, insightful and helpful tutorials, guides help references to the game of Civ IV appearing onto the web, I can't help but notice there is one very critical and often over looked aspect of each AI's character. And that is the area of the AI's own personal feelings.

Think about it for a second, however often has an AI taken a course of action, or reacted to you in a way that just didn't make sense? Why did Boudica flirt with you one turn, and then demand a tech the next one? Why doesn't Hammurabi smile often? Why is Sitting-Bull always standing?

The reason for all of these unexplained events can be explaining with just a little consideration and empathy on the AI's behalf. By putting ourselves in their shoe's for even the briefest of moments, we begin to get a glimpse of what it's really like to be a game AI.

Example 1

Hatschepsut: You play a game with the following settings; Pangea, large map, 10 random civs.
You meet all other civs before meeting Hatschepsut. You finally meet her at a time when you're empire is starting to grow some momentum. You've waged a successfull war against Ghandi in which you enlisted the help of a the Zulu empire. This war went well, you gained valualbe land and resources.

Now you meet Hatschepsut. She seems annoyed at you. She wont trade anything. Her face is downcast and you know you'll have to do a lot to win her over.

But the question is why is she like this?

An AI's Perspective
Let's look at it from her point of view.

Firstly she's on the other side of the continent from the main player, you! She doesn't like that. She's a party girl. She wants in on the action. She craves the attention the other civs are giving you.
Secondly, she's stuck next door to the resident hottie, Catherine. She's very self conscious of her large eyes and jutting cheeks. Quite a contrast to Catherine's smooth lines and pleasant natural beauty. This is probably one of the biggest concerns. For some unknown reason, the female Civ's just dont like each other??

Now lets have a look at Hatschepsut herself.
She's Spiritual and she's Creative. In other words she's a lover, not a fighter. She wants to woo you and make you feel special. But you've just gone and conquered another nation! She feels scared! Vulnerable. What does she do? How does she handle all these situations?

How does she make you see her more favourable than Catherine the resident hottie without incuring your powerful wrath?

The Solution
Once you've empathised with an AI and have come to some understanding of what they are currently feeling and why they are feeling it, then implementing a favourable solution is often easier than it seems.

With Hatschepsut the solution is often very easy. Reciprocate her love and affection. Gift her some techs so she can improve the quality of life for her subjects, trade excess luxuries with her, create open borders, and share her passion for the same civic's and religions.

With other AI's a more authoritarian approach is needed, but more on that later.

I hope this helps people with trying understand an often neglected side of the AI they are experiencing.

And if anyone needs some help with trying to understand the AI's actions, please feel free to post your situation and I'll try and see what I can do to help you understand things from their point of view.

Hey Sir Eric,

thanks for the insight!

And if anyone needs some help with trying to understand the AI's actions, please feel free to post your situation and I'll try and see what I can do to help you understand things from their point of view.
Yes, I've got one:

I am Ragnar of the Vikings and I feel my Relationship with Isabella of Spain is not going as well as it should be. I think it might have something to do with me killing her former favorite Stalin, who was also christian. My people and I, we are Jewish and I don't think they would be okay with me switching to Christianity, but she has asked me to do so twice.

There is also Boudica in the picture, I think Isabelle suspects I'm having a secret relationship with her because we've got some exchange going on, but my feelings for her really are just that for a little sister, nothing more.

Or does it just have to do with me being a little too agressive? I've been told women like axe, but now I don't know any more.

Hell, I even thought about just giving a crap and get what I need from Lizzy, but she's a little to aristotocratic for me with her walls and castles.

What do you think is really going on, deep inside?

Computers don't have feelings. Crush 'em all.

The OP isn't coming back. He was crushed by a gigantic can of milwaukee's best just after hitting the post button. His second post was a stray limb knocked off twitching a bit.

God rest his soul.

Hey Sir Eric,

thanks for the insight!

Yes, I've got one:

I am Ragnar of the Vikings and I feel my Relationship with Isabella of Spain is not going as well as it should be. I think it might have something to do with me killing her former favorite Stalin, who was also christian. My people and I, we are Jewish and I don't think they would be okay with me switching to Christianity, but she has asked me to do so twice.

There is also Boudica in the picture, I think Isabelle suspects I'm having a secret relationship with her because we've got some exchange going on, but my feelings for her really are just that for a little sister, nothing more.

Or does it just have to do with me being a little too agressive? I've been told women like axe, but now I don't know any more.

Hell, I even thought about just giving a crap and get what I need from Lizzy, but she's a little to aristotocratic for me with her walls and castles.

What do you think is really going on, deep inside?

Hmm... quite a little pickle you've gotten yourself into, but I think there are some key points of understanding I think we can uncover which should aid you in having a better relationship with both women.

Family Foundations
Having a strong family and home life is the key to not only enjoying a strong domestic economy, but also is integral in understanding how to build an effective working relationships internationally.
So lets have a look at things at home for you and the 2 ladies.

Ragnar
So you're a strong virile, if not shaggy looking leader with a strong proud Jewish heritage. You are aggressive, but very good with money. You have a temper and go Berserk every now and again, but you also enjoy the challenge that comes with creating a strong financial environment, espcially when it comes to trading offshore. You see yourself as the ultimate corporate yuppie. Aggressive, but wise with financial matters.

Boudica
She's an aggresive woman, but in a more subtle charismatic way. And when that doesn't work, she likes to give her Gallic Warrior's a run. She's some what insecure about herself, her people's attitudes about her, and the world around her. So she tends to build strong walls as a way to protect herself from any real or perceived threats.
Isabella is a paradox. One the one hand she's puts up this charismatic slightly aggressive facade that is little more than an attempt to hide her insecurities. And to deal with those she buillds walls to hide behind.
What she is really sayings is 'Here I am. Love me, but dont hurt me'.

Isabella
The younger and more attractive of the 2 women. Isabella has a deep religious Christian faith, and she likes to expand that, or evangelise is a better word, to everyone. And her conquistidors are very good at making people see her point. She equates her faith with strength which is why she likes to build citidels. Essencially she's a passionate woman with a message she wants to get to the world, whether they choose to hear it or not.

Three's a crowd?
So why all the fuss? Well when you've killed her brother in the faith, Stalin, you've sent a message to here that you don't respect the Christian faith. To you, your belief in the Torah is the one true belief, a sentiment she also shares about her own faith. However you've failed to effectively communicate your desire to look after her. She see's you as someone who combines Faith with money, and that is abhorant to her puritanical ways.

So the question to ask is how does a deeply religious person and a go get corporate yuppie build a strong relationship?
I think the key is to find a common ground. Something that you both share and enjoy. In this case the obvious thing is religion. It may be best for you to convert to Christianity. This would go a long way to get her on you side.

Now about Boudica. She obviously feels threatened by the more prettier woman. She feels that you and her have more in common, than you and Issabela. But her insecurities and pride stop her from saying so. Instead she tries other ways to get your attention, like wearing low cut tops for instance!
The best thing to do with Boobica is to go to war against a third party. There's nothing like stomping in the head of mutual enemy to bring to nations closer together. But choose someone that has no strong ties with Isabella. That way you wont upset her.

Entirely differently

Edit: You'ld have to take into consideration such things as nationality, religion, UU's and UB's, neighbours, what's happened in the game so far etc

Interesting. But how, then, do you account for Montezuma? Schizophranea?

Not at all. Let me offer you my opinion with regard to our friend with the funny hat.

Montezuma is a young man with something to prove. His rather erratic behaviour stems from a basic insecurity. He has a low self-image and a resulting narcissistically bloated ego. This makes him prone to interpreting the actions of other as personal attacks. He is clearly extroverted and will therefore respond to such slights, real or imagined, with an aggressive lashing out.

If you wish to avoid any such incident and maintain a good relationship with Montezuma, two keywords are Respect and Trust.
You must communicate to him that you respect him and you must likewise earn his respect. If he feels you disrespect him, it will set off his aggressive defense. If he does not respect you, he will unconsciously see in you what he sees in himself, i.e. a weak person. To remove this disturbing thought, he might just decide to remove you.
You must also support him against criticism from other, so he knows that he can trust you. Montezuma remembers well those who have failed him, and any such infraction can lay the cornerstone for future conflict.

Here are a few practical tips for dealing with Montezuma:

Support him at all times against others. Let him know he can count on you. Also enlist his help in your battles. This makes him feel respected and needed. If you are already on good terms, he will often be delighted to be asked his help in this manner.

Another manner of doing this is to give him work to do. Ask him to deal with some person or other that's bothering you. Appeal to his ego, treat his as a superior, and he will soon deign to help.
Montezuma is wary of manipulation, though, and may need to be convinced that you truly need his help. A handsome payment will testify to that.

While he may not look it, Montezuma has a certain depth. Beneath his savage and warlike exterior, he is a believer.
By supporting him in his views and beliefs, you show him that you understand this part of him. This will earn you a unique respect which can soon blossoming into a truly lasting friendship.

Finally, a more devious way. If you can instigate a fight between Montezuma and some other person, he will often become so engrossed in the fighting that he forgets your minor infractions, at least for the moment.
After a certain point such conflicts are self-maintaining, a basic enmity being established. In such situations you may not have to think about Montezuma for as long as his mortal enemy is still alive.

I hope these observations will be useful to you.

The funniest thing about all this Dr. Phil-ism is that it actually makes sense. :crazyeye: :lol:

Full marks go to the Firaxis programmers for creating such complex behaviour in the AI leaders that they actually feel as if they have real personalities. They AI may still not always make the smartest move, nor always make rational decisions... but doesn't that just make them more "human"?

Not at all. Let me offer you my opinion with regard to our friend with the funny hat.

Montezuma is a young man with something to prove. His rather erratic behaviour stems from a basic insecurity. He has a low self-image and a resulting narcissistically bloated ego. This makes him prone to interpreting the actions of other as personal attacks. He is clearly extroverted and will therefore respond to such slights, real or imagined, with an aggressive lashing out.

If you wish to avoid any such incident and maintain a good relationship with Montezuma, two keywords are Respect and Trust.
You must communicate to him that you respect him and you must likewise earn his respect. If he feels you disrespect him, it will set off his aggressive defense. If he does not respect you, he will unconsciously see in you what he sees in himself, i.e. a weak person. To remove this disturbing thought, he might just decide to remove you.
You must also support him against criticism from other, so he knows that he can trust you. Montezuma remembers well those who have failed him, and any such infraction can lay the cornerstone for future conflict.

Here are a few practical tips for dealing with Montezuma:

Support him at all times against others. Let him know he can count on you. Also enlist his help in your battles. This makes him feel respected and needed. If you are already on good terms, he will often be delighted to be asked his help in this manner.

Another manner of doing this is to give him work to do. Ask him to deal with some person or other that's bothering you. Appeal to his ego, treat his as a superior, and he will soon deign to help.
Montezuma is wary of manipulation, though, and may need to be convinced that you truly need his help. A handsome payment will testify to that.

While he may not look it, Montezuma has a certain depth. Beneath his savage and warlike exterior, he is a believer.
By supporting him in his views and beliefs, you show him that you understand this part of him. This will earn you a unique respect which can soon blossoming into a truly lasting friendship.

Finally, a more devious way. If you can instigate a fight between Montezuma and some other person, he will often become so engrossed in the fighting that he forgets your minor infractions, at least for the moment.
After a certain point such conflicts are self-maintaining, a basic enmity being established. In such situations you may not have to think about Montezuma for as long as his mortal enemy is still alive.

I hope these observations will be useful to you.

An excellent analysis!! :goodjob:

And I would also add that with Monte, it is unwise to totally trust him. Make sure you have a good defense in case he attacks.

Top notch thread, 5 Stars from me...

I too would like to put forth a question:

In a current game playing as Montezuma, I've made great friends with Gandhi. In addition to sharing the same religion, trading plentifully & jumping to his aid in his times of need, I also share some of his favourite civics. Indeed, he himself readily advertises his 'friendly' relations with me and makes no secret of our mutual respect.

Despite our very close bond, he simply refuses to join me in ransacking the heathens to our south - the hated Spanish led by that harlot, Isabella - regardless of what I offer him. Can you explain his unwillingness to help his Aztec brothers in their holy struggle against evil?

That lil trick Budica took one of my cities, (still in the Renissance Age, and I'm sitting in the Industral age) so I took 2 50-stacks of riflemen/calvary and wiped her off the face of the earth.

It also didn't help that I managed to pit 7-8 other civs aganst her either.

Top Bottom