How to use the Great General

Only other thing missing out on is the supermedic. M3 or if you can, W3/M3 can be very strong units to help a war. Otherwise I settle pretty much all my GG.

i played RFC alot that gave you randm events, quests etc. where you got a GG settled in your capital, since then i ALWAYS settled them there , you question started me thinking, dose this even happen in BTS standard. :eek: or am i just doing something pointless out of habit :)

Not mentioned much is to build West Point in a coastal city. The +4 XP works with Naval ships and with a Drydocks you can pump out some strong ships. I often also put the Maori statues here.

Not mentioned much is to build West Point in a coastal city. The +4 XP works with Naval ships and with a Drydocks you can pump out some strong ships. I often also put the Maori statues here.

Yeah, I do the same. I relegate one decent coastal+production city for west point. I played a game recently as HC, got an early GG that I linked to a quechua that already had 17 exp, he ended the game with around 150 exp, needless to say he saw some action and turned many a'tide =]

If I'm going for domination I always settle them in the HE city. Its hard to beat cranking out lvl 5 units mid/late game every 1-2 turns.

What is it with people calling Moai statues Maori statues? Moai have nothing to do with Maori except that they're both related to Polynesia.

On topic: I occasionally skip even the first supermedic given that I've got a WM3 and a regular medic - those combined heal just fine and more would be overkill in a regular war. So, I've taken a habit I assume many others have with their GG's - settle them in my military production center.

There have been times though, when I've knowingly saved all my GG's until I've conquered an AI and then use their capital for my new military production center because capitals usually have a general or two settled in them. I once took Carthage with 4 settled generals and then combined that with 4 of my own, HE and WP. It's sick when you can roll out CRIII Drill II Artilleries (or anything with +5 promotions) every turn.

What's your opinion on coastal gunpumps? Of course it would be nice to be able to crank out combat 4 destroyers in 1 turn to sweep the seas clean. But coastal means at least 3 and mostly several more tiles of water which is lousy in terms of gunpumping.

Would you ever use a coastal city for gunpumping?

Coastal + Maoi isn't too horrible production-wise, although it will have a lot of commerce, which is far from synergistic with a unit pump.

With a "harbor"-type coastal city there's no big downside. You wouldn't ignore an HE site because of two deserts, so why ignore it for two coast?

Coastal + Maoi isn't too horrible production-wise, although it will have a lot of commerce, which is far from synergistic with a unit pump.

With a "harbor"-type coastal city there's no big downside. You wouldn't ignore an HE site because of two deserts, so why ignore it for two coast?

This is all true and often the amounts of production for fast unit pumping are quite achievable - I've had cities pump a tank a turn without HE or IW if I recall correcly, although on Noble and lower only. And even if the city is on an even coastline, it still has 12 tiles for productive working + city tile.

What's your opinion on coastal gunpumps? Of course it would be nice to be able to crank out combat 4 destroyers in 1 turn to sweep the seas clean. But coastal means at least 3 and mostly several more tiles of water which is lousy in terms of gunpumping.

Would you ever use a coastal city for gunpumping?

For coastal cities I find it much more worthwhile to build a war academy than to settle. The 50% production applied to ships really make a difference because many coastal cities have poorer production than usual.

In fact beyond a settled GG at my HE and one super-medic most of my GGs go to coastal academies. Had many a game previously where intercontinental invasions got held up by poor production of ships (and poor planning obviously, starting the navy too late).

Beyond the mid game I find you have plenty of experienced troops from earlier wars. Quantity is better, especially when it can be applied flexibly to both land units and troops.

Just started playing Civ4 Warlords and can't figure out how to use the following for Great Generals, or maybe I just don't see it happening.

- "When "attached" to a unit - free upgrade.

Um what is attached, is it grouped together? I have yet to make this work. I'd love to upgrade Longbowmen to Infantry. So how, exactly do you "attach" a unit to a Great General?

- Gives a total of 20 experience points to units in the same tile.

This is for "promotions" i.e. special abilities I presume. So if a Great General is stacked in a city with 10 units and they are defending this just takes place behind the scenes? Which promotions do do you get? I don't see an icon to burn the General to get 20 experience points.

Also, what benefits do you get for leading troops in the field? It says you can, but with no explanation.

Just started playing Civ4 Warlords and can't figure out how to use the following for Great Generals, or maybe I just don't see it happening.

- "When "attached" to a unit - free upgrade.

Um what is attached, is it grouped together? I have yet to make this work. I'd love to upgrade Longbowmen to Infantry. So how, exactly do you "attach" a unit to a Great General?

- Gives a total of 20 experience points to units in the same tile.

This is for "promotions" i.e. special abilities I presume. So if a Great General is stacked in a city with 10 units and they are defending this just takes place behind the scenes? Which promotions do do you get? I don't see an icon to burn the General to get 20 experience points.

Also, what benefits do you get for leading troops in the field? It says you can, but with no explanation.

Speaking from my experience with Beyond the Sword (haven't played Warlords, but I expect it's a similar mechanic)

You attach a Great General (GG) to a unit by positioning them on the same tile and clicking the red Warlord icon on the GG's taskbar. This "attaches" the GG to that unit; this can't be undone. The benefit is "free" upgrades (e.g. upgrading a Maceman to a Grenadier normally has a cost attached, if you have a GG on the Maceman, the cost is nil) and 20xp applied to the unit. Note that if there are multiple units on the tile, the GG will attach to one of them, but the 20xp will be divided evenly among the units on the tile. Only the unit with the GG attached will get free upgrades.

A general that leads a unit (as opposed to being settled, or used to build a Military Academy) grants 20xp to that unit and the unit gets access to special promotions. That's the benefit.

I don't bother settling them except for maybe one in me HE city. The AI will do that and you can just take the city they do it in. I've taken cities that have a half dozen settled.
Usually I'll just create super medics to go along with my SODs (one for each) but will create a few nut crackers (triple city raiders) for upgrade to rifle later.
If I'm warring and have some extras, I may carry one with my main attack force to assist in healing if a battle leaves too much of my stack near death.

I used to settle most of them, but recently I came to see the immediate benefits that have attached GG to units. 4 siege units with CR3 now can be better than theoretically well-promoted siege units later. Also I like the free upgrade as commerce is almost always an issue.

Boudica of the Celts, or jaguar warriors, can get woodsmen III and medic III easily.

If you are imperialistic and anticipate three or four great generals, save them all for siege and give them morale.

Does "morale" not only give +1 movement to the GG unit? Why would you give morale to one siege unit while the stack stays behind? Imo, it is a useful promotion for pillaging and mob-duties (+ retreat).

it can keep up with cavalry! just two or three with a bombard promotion can really help odds

I may try that. A few cannons moving with your cavalry might really help. They would probably help more than CR rifles.

Top Bottom