How would I turn this city into a settler factory?

Crosspost. To clarify, your cities can't use all the tiles between them at CxxxC until late in the game when they can grow past size 12 (by learning Sanitation and building hospitals). It makes sense to use as many, if not all, of the tiles in your territory as soon as you can. Plus more cities in your territory = more troops and other stuff!

CxxC is also useful because you can move you're unit's from one city to another in 1 turn. And what I was saying is that core cities with some bonus food can get a couple extra tiles since they will be able to make use of them. You don't have to follow that.

Templar X - thanks for the insight.

Also, just to be clear - rule #1 is "Templar has a big brain, listen to him", rule #2 "LISTEN", etc. etc. etc. until Rule #137 . . .

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding. No offense intended.:)

To the OP, I think that the war academy article should be replaced with one that is easier to understand. Also need's to include the fact that all you need a granary, and 30 shields and 20 food in the same number of turns to make a settler factory. The optimal number of turns is 4, but I think 3 is possible. (3 can be done, just takes a city instead of a town.)

i haven´t seen a city capable of being a 3-turn settler factory and could hardly imagine the properties. you´d need an incredible excess of food to create +20 food in one turn and +10 food for two more turns while gathering 10 shields per turn on average. doesn´t sound easy to gather together.

moreover, it´s an incredible waste of food to operate a city SF when you could work with half the food excess as a town.

a 2-turn town settler factory is possible, in theory. i never had the proper environment to set that up in any real game, though (i am playing my Sid games with only 1 food bonus usually). somewhere on the forums someone posted a picture of such a start, but in my eyes it would have been a waste to set it up, when you could operate 4 factories with those tiles. (of course i would have still done it, if i got the chance, just to see it work :))

templar_x

I tried it out, and it worked. I had to reload a couple of times to get it right. Once because my city got too unhappy and revolted, so I had to raise the luxury slider. I also got a free settler and a couple of free techs from villages. It appears that there's barely any good land left to settle, though. What are your opinions of what I should do based on these pictures?

Spoiler :

PS: I realize that there's actually quite a bit of good land left to settle, but some of it seems to be kind of an "out of my way" kind of thing. Go easy on me, I'm practically a newb at this game :).

i understand that you wanted that lux. but this 2nd town is not really located optimally.

the strongest site i can see is 1e2ne - a clear 2-turn WF!
after that *I* would settle (always seen from the capital):
+ 1e2se
+ either 1s2se or 2s1se
+ 1s2sw
+ 2w
+ 3nw
+ 2n1nw
2nd ring:
+ 1n5ne
and other towns in that distance that bring lots of extra tiles for the dense 1st ring into reach. my reasoning for this is, that distance as one of the corruption factors indicates closer towns which work tiles OUTSIDE of them than the other way around. it does not count where the worked tile lies, just the town center.

templar_x

the strongest site i can see is 1e2ne - a clear 2-turn WF!
templar_x

I think I'd displace 1 more tile to the ne to settle on desert, get a food break. It's going to be a core town, I don't mind it being a little loose. Were you thinking of giving it the wheat by the capital, though?

kk

yes, and it´s the strongest reason for that site in my eyes.

and ummm, the one tile ne you call a "desert tile" in fact is flood plain... if you settle on it, there will not be a 2-turn WF anymore ;)

there are no other food bonuses around that are strong enough for any kind of good factory in the AA.

templar_x

yes, and it´s the strongest reason for that site in my eyes.

and ummm, the one tile ne you call a "desert tile" in fact is flood plain... if you settle on it, there will not be a 2-turn WF anymore ;)

there are no other food bonuses around that are strong enough for any kind of good factory in the AA.

templar_x

Hmmm. . . so it is. I'm so used to having the food symbols on, I didn't pick up on it. Ok, I never settle flood plains.

kk

It may even be possible to set this up as a three turn settler factory in republic or monarchy, though some part cash rushing might help.

i just counted the tiles. yes, a 3-turner is possible, if you mine the mountain, have all the BG mined and the two wheats as well as a normal grass tile irrigated.
i would not do it though.

firstly, as soon as all the core tiles are worked, this is a lot of mm for a result that may not really be worth the hassle any more after the REX phase is over.

secondly, it would almost surely kill the possibility of the WF in the town 1e2ne. and for almost sure, i´d have this one operational for longer than the SF in the capital.

but it´s always nice to see the environment special factory set-ups. thanks for pointing it out.

templar_x

An OT question but still fit's this thread, how do you figure how much of that food the people will use?

I don't see the purpose in starting another thread when this one is close.

What about MP's. On Emperor I had a size 5 city eating 13 fpt with 2 units in it.

Units in a city make no difference to food per turn.

Each population in a city requires 2 food per turn, on your 13fpt what is the size of the city, (is it > 6 and starving? or is that including excess food.

No, the city was growing just fine.

What about MP's. On Emperor I had a size 5 city eating 13 fpt with 2 units in it.
Units don't eat, in spite of the old "an army travels on its stomach" adage. Double-check that city. If it's really eating 13 fpt, you've got a bug of some sort. If so, can you post a screenshot?

Top Bottom