HQ1 Succession Game: For the glory of Greece (OPEN GAME)

-Connect the spices in the south to our trade network, that will make 3 luxuries :cooool: .

-Defend the southern cities, but we can probably do so lightly. One or two veteran hoplite(s) should be sufficient, as the Babylonians can only reach them by sea, which should not be too bad if we get a navy...

-If you want to, we can make a move against the Babs to our North. We have a significant number of troops stationed in Sparta, enough to claim a huge chunk of land before forcing the Babs into surrendering. I however, was a pacifist, so I didn't attack them. The option to do so remains, but in my opinion, it would be best to get Knights. I haven't checked yet, but it'd be even better if the Babs don't have Iron!! :lol:

-I am pushing for Monarchy as opposed to Republic right now because we have a very large number of troops so it may actually be very disadvantegous to switch to Republic at the moment (troop costs, war weariness if we get into a war vs. babs).

-Apparently, there are other continents out there, we should try and discover Magnetism/Navigation (after Chivalry for Knights of course ;) ) so we can find these other nations of the world.

-It's unfortunate we didn't get a Great Leader from any battles :( , I tried but alas we aren't Militaristic :sniper: . I wanted to rush build the Forbidden Palace somewhere---maybe another time. Should we the F. Palace for somewhere else or should we just use it in the South?

That's about it, so here's the game...

Excellent job on the Japanese :goodjob: Now we have the room we need before dealing with Hammurabi. It might be a good idea to learn all we can from them before going in for the kill. Have they met anyone else yet, for if they are still standed then we will recoup the money by attacking and capturing their cities. We might also consider to let them live as a vassal state, but that will depend on their size and strenght.

I'm unsure about the Forbidden Palace. If we take the entire continent, then Athens will be in a good central spot. I say we hold on to it untill we discover more nations and then build it overseas. Perhaps in the smoldering ruins of a Civilization we are yet to meet :D

got it.... im gonna take a guess that we are aiming at a military and/or domination victory. The road to Monarchy and our apparent large army can only take us there, since we have missed out on valuable growth time and priceless wonders. Shall we go for the conquest, or not?

Yeah, that early war was anything but good to us. I think we still have the option of choosing between the various endings. We have taken the first step along the road to conquest though so we might want to stay there. I still think it's a little too early to decide on how we shall win. At least until we have some more contacts.

I played only 8 turns. I signed a RoP with the Babs so I could check out their defenses - they have mostly spearmen, as usual...
I stationed troops outside the Babylonian borders so the next player can start a war if necessary. I believe it is, but the Babs are apparently about the same size as us and obviously loaded with bowmen. We have too many workers and I am not god at "peaceful" wars, as this one should be. We should work with what we have if possible, having only a couple cities making units. We can't drop back anymore than we have already. i reccomend just bringing the Babs to justice for now, maybe taking them down to a few cities, and finishing them off later. It'll give us some rest time.

Good luck to the next player - the babs won't be as easy as the Japanese.

(if we choose not to destroy the Babs, we MUST build our military with more swordsman. The Babs probably have like 30 bowmen.)

Originally posted by Exsanguination
I would like not to, but I already upgraded... is that a problem?

Seeing as you've upgraded to v1.17f, and have played and posted the save game, the rest of us will have to follow suit. Otherwise we can't play. I haven't updated yet, but it appears I will have too. Oh well.

Hey yeah, I am aren't I? Oops. :splat: Thanks for reminding me Harlequin. Ok I've got it and will play/post tonight.

I still really think that before we make a move at the Babs we get Monarchy, followed by Feudalism, and then Chivalry. I know, I know, it seems like forever to wait. But the Knights we get can easily stomp over Babylonian borders. We have to try at all costs to keep iron out of their hands.

If we can secure the entire continent, we can develop a navy and worry much less about ground defense for our cities. Perhaps then we can actually switch to Republic/Democracy.

As far as Victory style, I think Conquest is a good option. Diplomatic is "possible" but it is very annoying to achieve with the stubborn AI :rolleyes: . Spaceship is also open, but to achieve the technology in time, we are pretty much forced to switch to Republic or Democracy. Remember, we are Scientific so Libraries/Unis are easier to build. We will see big benefits from those when we become a Republic, so we may still harvest a tech lead here ;) .

By the way, I am currently vacationing with my family in San Francisco right now, and I won't be back until Thursday night (EST). Whether that affects my turn to play or not, I'd like everyone to be aware for now. I don't think it will, but let's see :) .

EDIT: I stated Pikeman could defend our cities better, heh, forgot we got Hoplites!! :lol:

upgrade cost for pikemen is MUCH cheaper, once we get feudalism BUILD PIKEMEN!!! I learnt that the hard way! (its something like 2-2.5x as much!!!

I didn't read this before I started playing, so I didn't upgrade our hoplites. Oh well. Looks like thats up to the next player now. Nothing major happened during my turn, I spent it building more infrastructure.

Pre-turn:
I note there is 12 turns left on our RoP with the babs.

590AD
-The palace gets another level!
-Up science to 70%, Monarchy due in 3 turns at -3gpt.

600AD
-Kyoto and Argos build hoplites, start on temples.

610AD
-It would appear as if the babs are using a galley to shift settler/mil unit pairs. There is a galley sailing around.
-Movement.

620AD
-Monarchy is discovered! The people are revolting! :p Athens and New Knossos are given entertainers.
-Feudalism is begun.

630AD
-More movement.

640AD
-Hammurabi wants our World Map and Construction for his World Map. I decline, and sell him our World Map for 5g and his Territory map. Feeling generous, I then sell him Polytheism for his World Map and 70g. He's only got 8g left now.
-A new king by the name of King Thrawn rises to power! :king: Feudalism is due in 11 turns at +3gpt.
-Entertainers in Athens, Pharsalos, and New Knossos are fired.
-While checking up on cities, I find out that Delphi, Mycanae, and Ephesus are on the city governor! :confused: Who did that? Useless entertainers in those cities are sent to labour in the fields.
-A warrior is upgraded to a swordsman for 40g.

650AD
-Nothing happened here.

660AD
-New Knossos finishes its temple, begins a courthouse.

670AD
-Thermopylae builds courthouse, begins cathedral. Mycenae builds temple, begins courthouse.
-The people rejoice as spices become available throughout the empire! [party]

680AD
-See 650AD.

690AD
-Sparta builds colosseum, starts on market. Delphis finishes courthouse, begins cathedral. Herakleia completes hoplite, starts another.

700AD
-Athens builds cathedral, starts on colosseum.
-The northern border with the babs is now blocked. Their units can know no longer move freely between territories. :lol:

710AD
-I suddenly realise we are losing 2gpt. Science dropped to 60%, Feudalism is now due in 4 turns, at +8gpt.

720AD
-Same as 680 and 650. The greek people do not like boring years.

730AD
-Corinth builds temple, begins harbor.(80 turns! :eek:, but its not growing, needs more food) Ehpesus finishes hoplite, starts temple. Need some culture there, otherwise it may flip.

740AD
-Feudalism discovered, begin Chivalry, due in 12 turns at +6gpt. Here come the knights, here come the knights. :D :satan:
-Mycanae starts rioting, given an entertainer.

750AD
-Note our gpt has gone up to 10.

760AD
-Knossos builds an aqueduct, begins a courthouse

770AD
-Kyoto finishes its temple, also starts a courthouse.

780AD
-Athens finishes a colosseum, starts Sun Tzus Art of War. Due in 40 turns.

Save coming.

Heres the save. The babs have 1 source of iron in their territory. Its to the south, but it isn't connected, and won't be for some time I should think. It should come into ours once the the borders of pharsalos(I think its pharsalos) expands. Be prepared for hammurabi to declare war once this happens, its their only source of iron. By the time it is connected, we should have knights. It may even never get connected, which is good news for us. :D

They have also been shifting a lot of troops south. Along with a few settlers. Once we go to war, we'll be surrounded, and will need to deal with it fairly quickly.

Good luck to whoevers next! I think its harleqin.

I got it, but don't know when I'll have time to play. I have a 13 hour day ahead of me due to meetings, so by the time I get home and finish all the menial chores I might be too busted. I'll see what I can do.

As we have realized by now, the Babs are like an expanding weed, peeking into every crack of our Empire with a city of their own. Thus, if we fight a war, we will fight on many, many fronts, East, West, South, North. :eek:

My suggestion to avoid this is to concentrate our offensive forces (KNIGHTS) :D on the Bab's northern borders. We quickly take the offensive and march towards their capital and major cities to the North. If we can take Babylon itself, it will have them crying :cry: for Peace :goodjob: . Then we take as many cities as they'll offer (preferably the rest of the Northern cities so we can move our Knights down South) in exchange for peace. They'll then be so weak that we can backstab them at will when our Knights reach wherever their cities are still located :D.

Ahhh...how I love the fine art of backstabbing... :love:

I'm completely buried in work and won't have time to play, so feel free to skip me. If the next player haven't finished when I'm done tomorrow, then I'll jump in and take my turn, but don't wait for me

Alright, I'll pick er up and go with it. I'm gonna be out of town from Thursday till Sunday, so skip me if it comes back around that quickly.

Hey guys, only played 10 turns, nice peaceful reign.

After the untimely death of King Thrawn, the Greek nobles met in Delphi to nominate one among them to ascend the throne. The deliberations were long and testy, but after three days King Leonidas III of Sparta is proclaimed, and he commences an Imperial Tour to every city in his kingdom.

790 AD - Herakleia begins an aqueduct to bring fresh water, and hopefully more Greeks, into the city.

800 AD - Thermopylae finishes its' cathedral and begins mustering another hoplite regiment for defense.

810 AD - the King returns to Athens and takes up residence in the palace.

820 AD - roads are cut to the spicelands south of Argos, east from Ephesus to Kyoto, and east from Sparta to New Knossos. Delphi completes her cathedral, Sparta her marketplace. Thermopylae begins construction of the Hanging Gardens, hoping to inspire awe and beauty in the Greek people. (25 turns). The King lets the right of passage agreement with Babylon end.

830 AD - Pharsalos finishes her colosseum and begins a library to enhance scientific knowledge in that city. Mycenae finishes courthouse and begins producing wealth for the nation. We hear, sadly, that the Iroquois have finished the Hanging Gardens in Salamanca.

840 AD - The King contacts Hammurabi, and threatens war unless the Babylonian work gangs leave Greece. Hammurabi tucks his tail between his legs and retreats like the coward he is. Our alchemists and teachers finish research on chivalry, and begin looking into the mysteries of engineering. the citizens of Thermopylae, having already cleared a sizeable area of land for the Hanging Gardens, decide to construct a colosseum there instead. Argos finishes her temple and begins a courthouse to combat the rampant corruption there. The King has the governor executed, and appoints his brother to the vacant post. Nepotism! Nepotism!

850 AD - The happy Greeks spontaneously erect a west wing to the King's palace. Leonidas is quite pleased. He authorizes the creation of multiple regiments of knights, and appoints his cousin to command the newly created (but as yet empty) Armored Horse Corps. The iron deposit near Corinth is exhausted, but luckily surveyors find another one in the green hills of Delphi.

860 AD - the King takes a vacation to the east, exploring the great jungles there and hunting leopards.

870 AD - Japanese slaves begin laying road to access the iron outside Delphi.

880 AD - Leonidas III steps down from the Greek throne and retires to his ancestral home.

Top Bottom