1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Huge requests from AI

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Paxel, May 12, 2013.

1. Paxel

Paxel Chieftain

Hello,
    when an AI requests a very expensive tech as a free gift, I often refuse. But ... I've noticed that after 2-3 turns he finishes it anyway, so probably he was asking only the final part of the tech.
    Is this always true for expensive techs?
    Any technical paper about the maximum request from AI in a given epoch?

2. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

As far as I recall of my past ventures through the code, tech beggings/tributes is random (no preference for small of big techs) and it tends to only ask non-monopoly techs. It's the second part I'm unsure.

3. Handel

Handel Prince

Not true it requests techs in the final stage of research. Actually in the final stage of the research the AI will not accept them even as a gift.
    I don't know if the requests and the techs are random or not; it is just another way of the devs to compensate the AI for their inability to make a reliable AI. If you do this you get a diplo penalty when/if the AI refuses but at the same time the AI considers yourself entitled to your research.

PS. It is good I am a warlike player and usually say to the AI to shove up its request where the sun doesn't shine.

4. Doshin

Doshin jolly yellow giant

Concerning point two, there has to more to it than that, since isolated AI will sometimes ask for techs for which they must assume a monopoly exists. Isolation might cause an exception... I don't know.

In my experience, an AI is more likely to ask for a tech it has part researched. But I imagine it could also be influenced by power, and it is difficult to judge in those instances where an AI is incredibly powerful because the AI tend to invest more in espionage than the player.

This is wrong in several regards. The AI will request largely researched techs; they will accept them as a gift; the mechanism serves less to compensate the AI than to substitute for the absence of a human "peace-weight" number.*

Spoiler :
    What I mean is, warmonger AIs are programmed to dislike peaceful AI before a game even begins. If playing as Gandhi increased the likelihood that the AI Montezuma, Shaka, and Ragnar-types would declare war against the human, nobody would play as Gandhi, and playing as (e.g.) Napoleon would make diplomacy much more simple.

Accepting or rejecting demands at least empowers the player, although the double-standards do seem unfair.

5. Smilingrogue

Smilingrogue Raging Barbarian

I have had AIs demand monopoly techs off me in the latest patch of BTS. (I play with BULL, so not sure if the unofficial patch has an impact). It happened in the NC Brennus game where I was demanded to cough up Philosophy after bulbing and founding the religion. I knew I had a monopoly on that tech as I was monitoring who could get it and who had it every turn for the sake of Lib race.

6. Handel

Handel Prince

When the AI is 2-3 turns (marathon speed so it means 20-30% till the end of the research) the tech in question becomes red from my side; I cannot give or sell it and the mouseover says "We have nothing to gain" (I think)

Exactly what I said - the inadequate diplo AI instead uses rigidly fixed and often ridiculous rules.

7. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

Then you have no tech brokering turned on... This is to prevent abuse. Othewise, you could gift an AI a tech the turn before he researches it, and block him from making any trades.

8. Handel

Handel Prince

Every time I enter the forum I succeed to find something new. Wonder how much still I don't know:)