Huge stacks

I've been toying with the idea of adding extra gold cost for modern and future era units (except conscript units) so that the more advanced unit you want to build the more it would cost also in gold besides the hammers. I'm not yet making that kind of changes to v2.6 as this would need some discussion so that I can see what people think about this kind of "feature".

That's one of the tweaks I threw in. Though so far only for the Next War Dreadnoughts and Assault Mechs.

I still think that the "crowded" promotion that Total Realism used would be the right way to approach this issue. I am not sure if the AI was able to understand this, but I thought it worked well to prevent huge stacks.

I still think that the "crowded" promotion that Total Realism used would be the right way to approach this issue. I am not sure if the AI was able to understand this, but I thought it worked well to prevent huge stacks.

Well, personally I'd like to think of ROM as a AI-heavy game; even in multiplayer you'd still have a lot of AI to make it fun. Therefore, I would be discouraged to add anything that the AI doesn't understand....They suck enough as is, give the poor CPU-powered kids a break! ;)

Now, on a boring night as I lay on the bed (Yes, I think about ROM way too much now....thanks a lot for making this addictive mod, Zap :( ), I think I have come up with a semi-solution to the stacking/huge military build up problem: what if you add UNahppiness to the city if there are too much military presence? I mean, it makes sense; how much troop are kept inside NY city? The locals would have complained their butts off. This should be easy to implement, (Since there is already a linkage between happiness and military presence) and should be simple enough for the AI to understand. This will reduce the huge build of military for the AI, and will thus cut down on the number/size of huge stacks, at least during time of peace. :goodjob:

It would make defending cities impossible. If I can only have say, 10 units in a city and not get hit by unhappiness, but an enemy stack of 150 comes my way, do I stand a chance? I believe adding an initial production gold cost and more maintenance should help.

It would make defending cities impossible. If I can only have say, 10 units in a city and not get hit by unhappiness, but an enemy stack of 150 comes my way, do I stand a chance? I believe adding an initial production gold cost and more maintenance should help.

I disagree. First, you with higher happiness penalty and/or higher maintainance, you will be far LESS likely to see a stack of 150.

Moreover, if unhappiness starts at 10 units, that means a well-planned city (which may, for the sake or argument, have 10 more happiness than unhappiness and additional military units cost -1 happiness penalty) will be able to 20 military units without any problems.

Moreover, it will mean that you want to fight the enemy OUTSIDE of your city, (as people do in real life) since otherwise your city should receive battle-penalty and maybe half of your buildings would get destroyed with civilian life-loss.

MOREOVER, it makes battles much more stretegic, you can't just let everyone sit in the city and wait for enemies to come.

MOREOVER, forts are still rather useless right now, and this penalty would change that; it will be important to build forts where you can station your troop, for now city is no longer the heaven for defense.

<SNIP>
Moreover, if unhappiness starts at 10 units, that means a well-planned city (which may, for the sake or argument, have 10 more happiness than unhappiness and additional military units cost -1 happiness penalty) will be able to 20 military units without any problems.
<SNIP>

Someones never waged a continential take over in the mordern era then, all that war weariness *shudders*

Someones never waged a continential take over in the mordern era then, all that war weariness *shudders*

Well, I dont see that as such a bad thing...modern wars SHOULD be quick (and hence painless). With air lift ability etc., we do not need the long marches, and realistically speaking, we do not have major long wars in modern times. Look how a 5 year long war (Iraq) affected US's "war-weariness").

Plus, when you are actually trying to do a takeover, you'd be on the OFFENSE, in which case you probably WON'T have a stack of 20 in all your cities.

That being said, the 10-free-military-and-1-unhappiness-per-extra scheme is only a rough idea; the actually number is definitely open to discussion. Preferably it will be put in xml somewhere, so individuals could change the number to their own liking. It won't be too hard to have a flag like -1 to indicate unlimited military allowance, which would disable this feature.

Maybe it's play style? As I've never experienced war weariness that couldn't be handled.

Shrug Maybe....

JosEPh

For me in a renaissance era war, once i had to adopt every -war weariness civic, and put culture at 50%, just to stop my cities starving.
War with the other AI on my big continent, it was only me and him there, he owned about 60% of it.. it took me till the modern era to annex the entire continent, because i kept having to sue for peace because the war weariness was killing me, then wait about 30 or so turns till i redeclare.

Top Bottom