1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Feature Focus video #3

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Eagle Pursuit, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

It's funny how the nomenclature changes. When I was taking Archeology courses at University back in the Atomic Era, Mohenjo-Daro was the site referenced whenever we talked about the Indus Valley Civilization. Now it's Harappa or the civilization as a whole.

Which brings up another thought: given that entirely different families of languages have been spoken in the region since the Indus Valley Civilization disappeared, and we still haven't deciphered any of the Indus script, what is the game going to do for a Harappan City List? Like Greece, are there a bunch of city/village names in the area that predate the current languages and can be used, or, as for the Olmecs, are they (and we) going to be largely Flying Blind?

Zaarin, conorbebe and Siptah like this.
  2. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

oh I know

Uberfrog likes this.
  3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I went through the video again to capture quarters. I didn't not capture what I believe are common quarters, farmers quarters and the ones with the smoking chimney.

First, City Centers: Harappan, Persian (?), Mycenaean, Mayan, Teuton (?), Olmec, French (?).
    Spoiler :

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.02.22.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.01.16.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.04.20.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.10.20.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.08.36.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.07.56.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.08.53.jpg

Edit: sorry for making three posts, but I cannot attach more than 10 images to a single one.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Zaarin, grug, Jkchart and 5 others like this.
  4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

A quarter with a building and a tree lined avenue in front of it, seen in many different cultural styles. I am unsure which one this could be, apart from the last one, they look somewhat religious:
    Spoiler :

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.10.01.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.10.49.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.01.38.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.02.08.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.05.11.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.06.25.jpg

A quarter with two water basins, we've seen that before in different styles:

Spoiler :
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.01.11.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.05.16.jpg

What could be the market quarter:

Spoiler :
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.09.44.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.11.38.jpg

grug, Jkchart, Boris Gudenuf and 3 others like this.
  5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Emblematic Quarters: Cyclopean Fortress, Canal Network, Triumphal Arch (?), Unknown Persian (?)

Spoiler :
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.04.23.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.02.17.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.05.48.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.01.05.jpg

Defense Quarters:

Spoiler :
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.02.00.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.06.07.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.07.21.jpg

Harbor:
    Spoiler :
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.05.07.jpg

Unknown Hippodrome:

Spoiler :
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-14 um 10.05.23.jpg

Zaarin, grug, Boris Gudenuf and 5 others like this.
  6. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Great screenshots Siptah although I think the defense quarter you mention is actually the Goth city centre.

I just love the city centre graphics whats really nice is they dont seem to be confined to looking a paticular way they all look completly unique.

conorbebe likes this.
  7. Hawke9

Hawke9 Warlord

U/oggysu noticed on reddit that at 0:48 you can see 6 maps (presumably the 6 ages) with the civilizations colored in. af2a9ac-1.png

8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Yes, it looks different from the other two in layout, so it might be the Goth city center.

Now this was on purpose, right? It's the leader bingo all over again. Just more clearly. Well, not in terms of image quality... It would indicate that the Mongols and a medieval north American culture are coming though.

The colors may indicate the civ specialization: industrial russia is light blue = expansionist, the soviet union is red = militaristic. And the modern US is colored in darker blue = scientific? But Brazil has the same color...

Jkchart, Hawke9 and conorbebe like this.
  9. qadams

qadams Bohemian

My guess is that the Commons Quarter supports Health, with the Civ6 equivalent of aqueducts, etc.

10. conorbebe

conorbebe King

We have pretty much nothing to go on when it comes to Harappan city names. The closest thing that could be considered is the remains of a signpost that displayed a sequence of 10 Indus characters, which is the longest sequence that has so far been discovered. Personally, I believe the Harappans did have a unified language and writing system, but without a Rosetta Stone equivalent, I don't find it likely that it will be deciphered anytime soon.

This means unfortunately they'll have to use the contemporary city names given to each site. The capital will likely be Harappa, followed by Mohenjo-daro, and I'd expect to see Dholavira, Ganeriwala, Rakhigarhi, and Lothal prioritised next.

Just thought I'd mention as you link to the Wikipedia page for the city rather than the civilisation.

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

My guess is that it will have the function of the Neighborhood in civ6, a district to house the increasing population of the city ?

12. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I guess the commons quarter is like the borough in EL. So it does not increase population, but population lets you build a new quarter. As large as the cites seem to be in Humankind, without the 2 pop per common quarter requirement though. The benefit would be resources from neighboring tiles.

13. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Maybe a bit obvious to mention but I think the Aztecs are almost confirmed now, they had a city go from Harapans, to Goths, to a mesoamerican build style It's gotta be Aztecs.

Zaarin, conorbebe and Siptah like this.
  14. Eddie Verdde

Eddie Verdde Chieftain

How many hexes in each territory?

15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

There's a lot of interesting things there, at least we can make up the largest blobls

-Mongols on medieval
    -Rusia on Industrial
    -Soviet Union on Contemporary
    -Otomans on early moderns (very light pink)
    -Brazil and USA on Contemporary

the smaller ones are not really clear if they are notes, or wonder annotations..or what.

Jkchart, Hawke9 and conorbebe like this.
  16. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I want to focus on the "Mayan" that's not their city center, we already saw that one. I'm a bit puzzled because they seem to be taking inspiration from many mesoamerican temples to add them to the mesoamerican quarters, giving the sensation of a meso city being filled with a lot of pyramids (not entirely wrong). There's a pyramid that looks like Chichen, a larger one that looks a bit like "El Mirador", etc. I think their emblematic quarter is giong to be the one with Tikal temple 1.

The one in the screen one looks like Tenochtitlan city center in layout, but the temples and color are wrong, maybe we are looking at an Aztec city center with placeover graphics?

Siptah and conorbebe like this.
  17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Might the pink indicate aesthete?

conorbebe likes this.
  18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I confess, I'm basing my supposition about the 'Common' on the historical use of the Boston Common: common land in the middle of the city, used at various times as a pasture, graveyard, hanging ground/place of execution, public meeting space, and finally, 150 years after it was first designated, as a Public Park.
    Since we are still 'missing' a Quarter for Religion, and historically most of the major Religious structures (temples, cathedrals, etc) were in the middle of the city, I think it is very likely that the Common Quarter may be a spot for either Political, Religious, or some other function based on, possibly, your Faction Affiliation or Desire.
    This would have the advantage of reducing the number of specific Quarters they have to design for 60 Factions, if the functions of several Civ-type Districts can be combined into one type of Quarter: Religious, Entertainment, etc.

And, @Siptah, the Quarter you show in your 2nd Post:

Spoiler :

Because of the 'open' tree-lined area in all of them, I suspect this might be the Common Quarter.

Siptah likes this.
  19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

@Boris Gudenuf possible, but I think the common quarter is just the „ordinary housing block“ that we see en masse in all of the screenshots.

Elhoim likes this.
  20. mitsho

mitsho Deity

So many quarters. And you can have several of them. Or of some of them. How frikin big will a single city be? Will that still be manageable? Or will a city fill out a whole territory at one point? Will there not be "rural" areas?