1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

Another of the new screenshots on Steam also definitely confirm the Americans and the (PRC) Chinese.

2. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

You can still pre-order to get it. As far as I can tell, whenever you get the game on Steam, you can go to Amplitude's site and connect your Amplitude and Steam accounts, then you get a code for the Lucy beta on Steam.

You also could get a code by watching Twitch streamers play the Lucy beta, so you could watch and hope you get a code, then go try the game, then decide to pre-order or not.

grug and 8housesofelixir like this.
  3. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

@Catoninetales_Amplitude, will this be available for MacOS users as well? If the announcement on Steam says that anyone who has pre-purchased the game, then I am betting we also can, but want to make sure.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Siptah likes this.
  4. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

Because of the last opendev, I have a question, does this opendev require internet connection as well? Sorry I know it was kind of because Stadia but I am still scared that they will do that with the game as well....

5. aguaacrobata2

aguaacrobata2 Chieftain

Well, it has been asked on Reddit, and it looks like it is not yet ready for Mac (link).

6. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Yes, I saw that too, but the answer was that it needed to be consulted with the producer.

7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I'm pretty sure you will be able to play it through Steam, without any permanent internet connection required (just like the first Open Dev).

Atlas627 and 7daysofwar like this.
  8. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Can a tank nut identify the Chinese tanks in the screenshot? (if they are real tanks)

I'm curious if the modern era will have unique models for vehicles where possible I'd be very impressed if the game had a couple of different models for things like tanks to have some variety.

Also I thought the Empire State building looking district was the American city centre but here its part of Beijing, unless it was conquered from America and incorporated into Beijing? Or its just for the sake of this screenshot.

9. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

I've just assumed that the Empire State is a wonder, buildable by anyone, so I'm betting on that.

10. zhugejingqi

zhugejingqi Chieftain

Empire State is a wonder. And I don't think this screenshot has an EU.

11. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

No not an emblematic unit just different 'skins' for the models I was wondering if that was a Chinese tank and thus might suggest at least some tanks will have variants based on cultures.

12. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I'm not a tank nut, but that does remind me of the tank units the PRC faction uses in several RTS games.

I'm THRILLED they've got the tones above the Pinyin. Absolutely THRILLED!

Kjimmet, 8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  13. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Not a tank nut, but these tanks model looks like WWII or early Cold War tanks, and PRC tanks around the time usually has a domed turret that looks like an upside-down Chinese frying pan. These tank models look nothing like PRC tanks.

To me the in-game tank model looks like Tiger I but with its turret backwards. Anyway, we may need to consult @Boris Gudenuf on this case.

They already did that on Zhou cities. And even Greek cities, they used romanized Greek instead of conventional names in English - for instance, Athênai instead of Athens.

Atlas627, Kjimmet, CivLuvah and 2 others like this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Civ6 made some halfhearted attempts at better transliterations, but Humankind seems to be successfully achieving much more authenticity.

15. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Perhaps its just a made up tank I dont mind if they all use the same tank model but I hope the infantry has some variety in uniforms.

16. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

Ideally, the variety would be complete, with each contemporary culture's infantry having accurate uniforms. I love when units have as much diversity as possible, but it might not be entirely worth devoting resources to. At the angle the Sino-American screenshot is taken, I can't tell if the Chinese infantry is accurate to PLA uniforms.

17. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

I'll actually mildly disagree; I wouldn't mind having one model per unit, for clarity's sake. I may not easily recognise dozens of different unit models as being one and the same unit, unless the unit itself is very distinct (e.g. contrast a tank with an infantry unit).

18. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Can't wait to wet my feet in a second opendev ;-)

Very happy I decided to pre-order ;-)

CivLuvah likes this.
  19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Both the tanks and the towed antitank gun to the right of the ones in front appear to be 'artist's conceptions' not specifically modeled on actual vehicles.
    The tank turrets most closely resemble the 'conical turret' used on late-model versions of the Soviet T-26 and BT-7 tanks of the late 1930s, but with a commander's cupola on top, which no Soviet medium or light tank had until 1943. The sloping front hull with a vertical bulge where the driver (presumably) sits is like nothing I can find on any tank built since 1940.

The towed guns at a glance resemble the 75mm guns used towards the end of WWII, but none of the historical guns - the German 7.5cm Pak 41, the Soviet ZiS-3, the American M5, nor the British 17-lber, had a trapezoidal top to the gun shield - all had flat-topped shields.

The infantry also appears to be 'generic', although saying they definitely aren't PRC is harder: up until the 1960s the PRC was still equipped with a great deal of 'hand-me-down' Soviet and Japanese material from the 1940s so there was a near-bewildering variety to PRC infantry until about 8 - 10 years after the Korean War.

On the other hand, no one has said anything about the ships bearing down on the coast:
    The angled-deck aircraft carrier is a post-WWII design first used by the Royal Navy.
    The battleship to the right of the carrier is configured with main guns in 4 turrets, 2 aft and 2 forward with 2 guns each, which is a typical British or German design, not Japanese or American.
    The smaller ship is, relative to the carrier or the battleship, too big to be a Destroyer, but appears in any case to be another post-WWII design: it has what looks like a helicopter pad aft of the superstructure and what looks very much like a cruise missile or other missile installation in front of the superstructure, which would appear to make it siilar to 'missile frigates' or 'missile cruisers' of no earlier than the late 1960s . . .

And note the landing craft at the top left: Humankind may be giving us a taste of the real expense of modern amphibious landings, which require special purpose landing craft and landing ships of all kinds

20. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

1. Tank shown here appears to be Pz6 Tiger. This tank model is so popular due to their wartime legends (or dev team think everyone is gettin' sick with Shermans being over presented in 4X games, Actually why didn't use Chaffee or Bulldog tank instead??)
    2. What the devteam called a big warship? Cruiser or Battleship? again it looks like 1915s BBs, Dreadnoughts without wing turrets, four main battery, each has two 20 or 30 cm main guns. Something like an Austrian dreadnought of WW1 or Four Japanese Early Dreads (Something like Ise class Dreads).
    Eventually Japan did follow American approaches when desigining Superdreadnoughts. which eventually culminated into something like Iowa or Yamato

3. AA appears to be separate unit rather than stacking support unit. Actually it should be technical upgrades like what @Boris Gudenuf proposes.
    4. On a city of Beijing. this game now has correct toning marks resemble actual Hanyu Pinyin (漢語拼音)