1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Really looking forward to the "Lucy" OpenDev tomorrow.

2. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

And so a rousing cheer for the artists and everyone else at Amplitude: Feedback is a wonderful thing . . .

3. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Warlord

I just bought the game in order to try this Lucy OpenDev.

However I have not played any of the others OpenDev, and followed the game from slightly far away, so to be honest I'm not sure what to expect. What would you guys say are the most important things to know / care about when playing (for example what currency to focus on, should you explore as heavily as you do in CIV, should you spam settlers, do you have penalty for tall / wide, etc.)

Any tips from someone who knows the game a bit to someone that have never played yet would be appreciated! I want to try it but also doesn't feel like understanding nothing!

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It would be hard to answer your question fully without writing a long essay. The game has many layers and many strategies. The game is 4X. So you do want to explore a lot to pick up your rewards. You will also want to build up your cities, expand, build your army etc... But the game has a lot of new mechanics, different from civ.

One big difference between Humankind and civ is the victory condition. In humankind, you win by collecting points when you achieve certain objectives. Check the era screen and you will see different objectives like number of territories, number of techs, population. You will want to focus on achieving the objectives that make the most sense for your style and your game.

I would say just try the game, enjoy learning all the mechanics. Read the tool tips. Don't try to win on your first game, just take the time to learn the game.

Ceydezed likes this.
  5. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Downloading OpenDev now.

tedhebert and Elhoim like this.
  6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Started a quick game.

I love the concept of starting as a nomadic tribe. It is something that has been discussed a lot in civ forums and it is really cool to see the idea implemented. I think it works well in HK. It lets you explore and get more units and pick your starting position before becoming an actual "civ". It seems that HK will have an asymmetric progression where some players will be their first culture while others are still nomadic. Some might progress to their second culture while others are still on their first. I discovered a couple of my neighbors were still nomadic tribes after I had progressed to my first culture and got my first city. It seems that would put me a significant advantage. Will the game account for that? What will the game do to balance things so that I don't just steamroll my primitive neighbors?

7. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Same here, downloading

8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

(Meanwhile I have stopped reading most of details about the game, in order to discover everything after release, and also because I have an unpleasant history of ruining video game fun for self by obsessive perfectionism)
    I amostly interested regarding remaining cultures.

9. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

For those of you dipping your toe into Humankind for the first time with Lucy, some tips:
    1. As a nomadic tribe, NEVER fight a Mammoth or a Bear until you have at least 2 Tribes, preferably 3: 1 on 1 either of them will (literally!) eat you alive.
    2. Everything you place - Cities, Outposts, Wonders, Quarters (Districts) exploits the adjacent tiles automatically, unlike Civ, so pay attention not only to the tile on which you are placing, but the ones next to it not already occupied by another Extension.
    3. Although the Lucy basic map is the same in all games, the Bonus features (Food, Science) during the Neolithic and, of course, the Factions chosen by you and therefore by the AI can change, so each game will be different.
    4. Go to the lower righthand corner of the map and turn on the Yields on each tile, at least at first. It makes it much, much easier to tell where to put things on terrain you are not familiar with in a brand new game.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Sostratus, Gwydden, conorbebe and 2 others like this.
  10. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Hmm, is assigning administrators broken? I assigned an administrator to a city that I conquered (and was ceded), and the UI shows that it has an admin but I'm still getting -30 stability for unadministered plus my growth is 1 tier lower, as if it were unadministered.

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Hehe I understand you very well... I have been mostly absent since open dev 1 in here because I just don't want to spoil the fun when I finally get to play. So I pretty much know nothing about the cultures ;-)

Chose Pheonicia for my first game since I started beside the Ocean and have the Barrier Reef in my first territory... Also, I don't want to go military at first ;-)

Gwydden and 8housesofelixir like this.
  12. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I apologize for the dishonesty part. I cannot attribute that to you, of course. I will take it as an honest mistake. But it is indeed unfortunate. I guess I have a hard time accepting that as a MacOS player, I will always be in the group not considered for these types of things.

Yes, sad and you were correct. But of course, you are right. I will try to find time to get that going in my machines as well. It is there, but it is a bit of a hassle.

13. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Unfortunately I might start my first game tomorrow. I have an online home exam tomorrow in the morning and want to sleep early. Will post my initial reactions at the OpenDev thread as always.

8housesofelixir and drakula15 like this.
  14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Boot Camp does work well for running Windows on Mac hardware. I'm typing this on an iMac running Windows 10 right now.

Ondolindë likes this.
  15. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

I am slipping into my first game, almost done with the scenario. I seem to have been blessed/cursed - 2 peaceful neighbors, claimed a lot river valleys. Obviously I went Harrapans->Khmer (with maya and Mughal rounding it out) and now my cities are overwhelmed with overpopulation.

Something I did not realize - Districts like the Jama Masjid aren't giving your worker slots +2 prod, they are giving their tile +2 prod for each employed worker. So if you have a huge complex of makers quarters, you can get those tiles into the 40+ range.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  16. 7daysofwar

7daysofwar Chieftain

17. grey_Sanzhez

grey_Sanzhez Chieftain

1) As nomadic tribe I did hunt and ate all the Mammoths 1 on 1. Rarely 2:1. Just find the right angle for attack. You have to secure high grounds and/or trick animal to fight from river to non-river tile. +2 pop per Mammoth. 7 population on turn 4 easily. And don't forget to put first outpost. It also has it's own population, that can go hunt right away.
    2) It really matters in early game. Later on clusters of makers/trade districts are real powerhouses.

With a lot of tribe units(>10) it's preferable to disband part of them in ancient cities. There are almost no curiosities on the map, but in this game larger city population = faster population growth. Even to 1 pop per turn.

---------
    Also peaceful animals have radius of aggression =2 hexes around them on tactical map. Otherwise they do nothing in battle. You can even "escape" to safe corner during bad battle

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Atlas627 and 8housesofelixir like this.
  18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Lots of good tips. Unfortunately, so far I seem to be running into all the Mammoths and Bears that have seen Star Wars and know the value of the High Ground . . .

19. grey_Sanzhez

grey_Sanzhez Chieftain

1. Leave 1 hex between you and animal.
    2. Animal attacks you.
    3. Take his starting high ground.
    Profit

Or just do it with 2 units, since it's easier

Meluhhan and 8housesofelixir like this.
  20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Getting the hang of it. Managed to get an hour of playing time sneaked in around translating German KTBs this afternoon: killed off a Mammoth, a Bear and 3 Deer, ransacked a Lair and left the Neolithic on Turn 10 with 2 Outposts and 4 Tribes/Hunting Parties scouring the map for more victims . . .