1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Had this happen once in 5 games, but also had several 'graphics' bugs - like disappearing units, both mine and the AIs. Those could all be fixed by exiting and reloading, but the Stalled Battle gliche/bug has been reported by several people just on these forums and appears to be game-breaking.

2. Taefin

Taefin Chieftain

Had a game stall in a turn 144 battle, not sure if it was from having some 40-50 units involved in two simultaneous neighboring battles.

Im curious to hear how folks are getting so much gold. Last game I built a city around food and gold quarters using forced labor, but that only churned put a ~150 gold. Is it about getting gold culture boosts, or religion? Also, am I missing something about exporting luxuries? In my games, the only reliable source of gold I get is from vassals (~600 each), but I’m unclear how they get so much gold, let alone with so few quarters built.

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I think - and this is just my impression, I haven't actually 'crunched the numbers' - that Trade Routes are supposed to be the primary Money producer. I know as soon as I start establishing, or have the AIs start establishing Trade rotes with me my Money income goes up by 50 - 150%. On the other hand, there are some Religious Tenets for Money, which I haven't tried yet because the Tenets regarding Science are too good to pass up, that may also provide massive increases in Money the way other Tenets can for Science.
    Unfortunately, the Open Dev ends tomorrow, so I probably won't have time to experiment with Money-Making schemes in Humankind.

4. Taefin

Taefin Chieftain

Played through another today. I paid more attention to notifications and saw some AI bought some of my resources. I think it’s a one-time bonus, but there are a few infrastructures and EQ that give money for each trade route. I didn’t take any gold civs, but did take the gold-per-pop tenet. Also I discovered that if you don’t kill your pops you end up with much more of every yield, since you get the same yields with about 30% the districts when you add workers, infrastructure and luxuries.

Also, it was super fun to do a long Babylon start, getting the EQ in every territory and having a city with 5 territories so that all researchers produced 5 food. Went Babylon > Greece > England > Endo Japan to work with my anti-cav and archer army the whole way. Being able to shoot longbows over a two-deep phalanx was very effective when fighting level/uphill.

5. Kwami

Kwami Deity

One of the developers (Kyrioo, AI programmer) was in 2DKiri's Twitch chat earlier today and mentioned that they just got the model for the next OpenDev player character. He's also a 19th century writer.

6. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

Jules Verne? Although wouldn't mind Colette :p

7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

For a France-based company, there are more than enough 'native' candidates: Jules Verne, Victor Hugo, Flaubert, Balzac, Dumas . . .

Although for a potential AI Opponent, I would have preferred, say, Mikhail Aleksandrovich Bakunin, the founder of 'collective anarchism' (a contradiction in terms if there ever was one!) - a potential opponent to any and all Factions according to his own writings.

8. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I and other folks on Discord did some testing the other day about the trade income mechanic.

Basically, even though when you buying from the AI it is a one-time payment, AI buying from you will not create a one time income on your overall money income on the upper right corner. Instead, it will just create a trade route, and every territory of yours will get +1 money for every trade route passing through from the very beginning, like a toll tax. There is an infrastructure that can add another +1. For Merchant affinities, the plain income of trade route will double, thus generate a larger income.

In general, for a playthrough rich in gold, the majority of your income will be Market-type EQs (most of them can scale based on the number of trade routes or population), naval trade route with Great Fishmarket infrastructure (+5 money on naval trade routes), luxury bonuses (many luxuries provide money can they can stack), as well as the Luxury Manufactory (gives a bonus income from money-bonus luxuries, it really stacks but the exact calculation is unknown).

Below is an exemplary income breakdown of one of my city when I went Ghanaians-Joseon (so a non-Merchant with already built Merchant EQs)

Spoiler :
    unknown.png

9. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I mean, I guess I don't care who it is. The interesting information is that there's another OpenDev planned and it's probably not too far off if they've already got the character models.

Meluhhan likes this.
  10. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

They can‘t do Jules Verne, he looks way too similar to Hugo... Dumas would be preferable in that regard.
    maybe they add another little pack with a wonder and avatar, just like they did with Hugo, and we‘ll get not another French one.

11. Taefin

Taefin Chieftain

Oh cool, thanks for that update! I’m guessing that it works the same for the AI, so they pay the same upfront cost to establish the route with you and that they also get the trickle income when you buy one of theirs. I wonder if vassal income is calculated based on something like their total yields, not just gold. A 600 gold boost for a good vassal dramatically increases your income, but that’s about what would have gained if allowed to capture their empire, and had access to their production/science.

12. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

13. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

What would be your first dream choices for new cultures in expansions? Mine would be:
    - Etruscans in the ancient era, Aestethe (to provide more Europeans and give precedessors to Rome)
    - Han dynasty in the classical era (because come on, it's China) with Scientist affinity (it fits and we have to give it to China at some point!)
    - Chola dynasty in the medieval era, merchant and naval focus (East Asia is already sort of present as Mongols, although Song dynasty would still be high on the list)
    - Yoruba (Oyo kingdom) in the early modern era, because it is very cool civilization never present in Civ series. And EM era has no Subsaharan culture. And it is from Nigeria, which history is criminally underrated.
    - Meiji Japan in the industrial era. It's weird to see Siam or Iran here, but not the only non - European culture which a actually "won" this era.

I didn't count Andean civilizations, as they will probably arrive together in one pack at some point.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Hellenism Salesman and Meluhhan like this.
  14. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

If it needs to be a Scientist for China, it would better be Song. Joseph Needham spent thousands of pages talking about Song-era inventions.

15. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

A case could be made for either. The early Chinese lead in metallurgy - cast iron, powered forges and smelters, early crucible steel - were all Han developments. The Song applied a lot of earlier developments more thoroughly, especially in naval architecture and mechanics and early gunpowder development, but they were all started earlier, under the Han or Tang, and 'perfected' under the Song.

16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

8housesofelixir likes this.
  17. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

On the other hand, if following the logic of a culture's "emblematic achievements" as their affinity pick, then Han is far more remembered as an Expansionist instead of Scientist, and vice versa is true for Song.

18. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Honestly, many Chinese empires were so mighty that they would fit every affinity at once :p

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Absolutely.
    But, as @Krajzen points out, the Classical and Medieval Chinese Dynasties excelled or at least competed in so many areas that the game designer can pretty much go in whatever direction they want. Examples:

Han:
    A heavy mouldboard wheeled cast iron plow was invented to tackled heavy wet soils and expand agriculture, so: Agrarian?
    First paper manufactured, which was immediately applied to literature and art, so Aesthete or Scientific
    "Dragon Kilns" invented, producing temperatures high enough to form true Porcelain, a major Trade Good for the next 1500 years. Merchant?

Song:
    "Fire Lance" first mentioned: the first known gunpowder weapon. Scientific?
    Also Bi Sheng, credited with inventing first moveable type (made of porcelain). Scientific again?
    Also Su Song (Zirong), built one of the first escapements for a water clock, also hydraulic and mechanical engineer and astronomer. Scientific or Builder? (NOTE: His Water Clock, or Hun Yi could be a Wonder with Scientific bonuses)
    Massive trade established with Southeast Asia and Indonesia area for spices, aromatic woods, and other 'luxury' goods, evidence for Merchant or Asthete.
    First manuals for gunpowder and gunpowder weapons, decrees requiring gunpowder-bomb throwing trebuchets on all Song warships - Militant?

As said, you could go in a lot of different directions. On the other hand, also as posted, the Han are best known as Expansionist by policy and accomplishment, while the Song, given the fame of its achievements in poetry, painting, and calligraphical art, is probably best identified as Asthete.

grug likes this.
  20. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Chieftain

While I agree with the general principle that many Chinese empires qualify for multiple affinities, the Song as militant doesn’t fit in my opinion. The Song founder decided, due to the memory of the An Lushan Rebellion and more directly the fact that he himself was a general who overthrew his ruler, to appoint unqualified civilian personnel to military command who would be incapable of acquiring the loyalty of their troops, a policy maintained throughout the dynasty. As a result, despite its vast array of sophisticated equipment and lavish military spending, the Song systematically punched below its weight militarily, ending with the first time all of China fell under foreign rule.

Krajzen likes this.