Humankind Game by Amplitude

I haven’t played the newest build yet, but I always ended up having may thousands of surplus influence as it doesn‘t do much in the late game. So merging cities was always an option. I think the cost scales very steeply with every territory on the city that „eats“ the other one.
Hope you enjoy your run!

cities can not be given back, but they can be liberated. this is very useful since you get a friendly city from which you can buy resources at zero cost, rent armies other than those labelled "defenders" and assimilate later when your influence or money income allows it

before liberating a conquered city, i usually detach all attached territories and check if the population buyout is available... sometimes it fails to deactivate and that allows you exploit it say to help build a common project or if you're a military culture, it might allow you to move population to another city thgough militia spawning

It requires a certain Medieval era tech, but you can absorb cities as well - kinda like attaching an outpost.

Well in my game I ended up taking India in the modern era which maxxed out my religion but meant nothing to the game apart from my one city on another continent caused no end of issue with its influence and religion stopping me beffriending everyone. Every otyher civ ditched religion around the same time and yes you may lose stuff with it but you gain stability with everyone else (if that is what you want)
Scraped in a win with no clue what I was doing. Now I have half an idea thing will be done a lot differently next time.
upload_2021-8-12_16-2-42.png

I don't quite get the use of the religion boost that you can get from contemporary India. Religion is pretty much decided on at that time, and more followers are rarely much of an impact (maybe with the Teuton Legacy?).

Playing with a week old version and plenty of glitches and odd things like AI shooting over mountains while you cannot. It’s a bit frustrating. War on mountain paths with multiple AI stacks is something I’m gonna avoid for a while.
I also am having trouble getting reinforcements in, I must not be seeing a button. Probably a lot of it is noob issues but still…

Playing with a week old version and plenty of glitches and odd things like AI shooting over mountains while you cannot. It’s a bit frustrating. War on mountain paths with multiple AI stacks is something I’m gonna avoid for a while.
I also am having trouble getting reinforcements in, I must not be seeing a button. Probably a lot of it is noob issues but still…
Some units can shoot over mountains (Ta Seti Archers for example), others can't. But yes, fighting in mountains can be really frustrating if you brought the wrong units or are just unlucky with the initial placement possibilities.
About the reinforcements, there are a few things: you need the organized warfare tech (but since that is pretty early you probably have that). You cannot move units inside the battlefield while the start is still pending (when you can still choose retreat). Afterwards you can move your units into the battlefield from outside. Once that is done (or maybe you already had multiple units in there), you need to wait until it is your turn. Then you can either locate the point where you can summon your reinforcements on the map, or select the reinforcement tab on the upper right of the screen. A "+" above/below units then indicates that you can summon them onto the battlefield. They start on a predefined tile, and if that tile is blocked by you or the enemy, they can't be summoned. Blocking enemy reinforcements is quite a good tactic by the way.

Some units can shoot over mountains (Ta Seti Archers for example), others can't. But yes, fighting in mountains can be really frustrating if you brought the wrong units or are just unlucky with the initial placement possibilities.
About the reinforcements, there are a few things: you need the organized warfare tech (but since that is pretty early you probably have that). You cannot move units inside the battlefield while the start is still pending (when you can still choose retreat). Afterwards you can move your units into the battlefield from outside. Once that is done (or maybe you already had multiple units in there), you need to wait until it is your turn. Then you can either locate the point where you can summon your reinforcements on the map, or select the reinforcement tab on the upper right of the screen. A "+" above/below units then indicates that you can summon them onto the battlefield. They start on a predefined tile, and if that tile is blocked by you or the enemy, they can't be summoned. Blocking enemy reinforcements is quite a good tactic by the way.

One nasty little Trick, which the Minor Factions, by the way, are pretty good at, is to put a relatively small 'army' out front near the enemy with several other 'armies' within Reinforcing Distance. Attack the 'Forward Detachment" and what you thought was an attack by your 3 - 4 units against 2 of theirs turns out to be a major battle against 6 - 8 of theirs and No Longer Fun at all. You can also use the Reinforcing Mechanic to form one of Napoleon's favorite Operational/Strategic formations: several full-sized armies moving within Reinforcing Distance, so that whichever one the enemy attacks or whichever one attacks him, he finds himself in battle against 2 or more of them and outnumbered. Whether intentional or not, I find that the game allows me to reproduce Historical maneuvers and battle situations far better than any other 4X game ever has. Color this ol' military historian Excited.

I just wanna hop by as one of the 3d artists on humankind (doing mountains and small buildings are fun, who would have thought), to say that reading you for almost three years has been really interesting and heartwarming, especially in times of COVID where game dev was really harsh. I speak only for myself but as someone who hasn't had a real expertise on 4x games it was really interesting to read your feedbacks on the visuals. Cheers. I'll hope you'll enjoy the game.

Since it's almost time for the release of Humankind, I'd like to take this opportunity. I guess I speak for everyone here in Civfanatics when I say:

@Catoninetales_Amplitude, thank you so much for being the messenger from Amplitude for the game ever since you appeared in this thread. Thank you for your hard work answering all of our inquiries, and for hyping us up for the game. It has been an arduous but hype-filled two years and thank you for helping us in the journey! :hatsoff:

Since it's almost time for the release of Humankind, I'd like to take this opportunity. I guess I speak for everyone here in Civfanatics when I say:

@Catoninetales_Amplitude, thank you so much for being the messenger from Amplitude for the game ever since you appeared in this thread. Thank you for your hard work answering all of our inquiries, and for hyping us up for the game. It has been an arduous but hype-filled two years and thank you for helping us in the journey! :hatsoff:

Agreed! @Catoninetales_Amplitude has been an excellent representative to the community. It’s been nice to have someone to interact with.

Yeeeeaaasss!! I don’t have to be blue horses!!!

Edit: enter purple stegosauruses!

Oops, jumped right into the tutorial and forgot to select difficulty. Luckily only got to end of Neolithic.

Third time reloading game, way to easy and permanent to place an outpost when trying to click out of selector. I know I pick it up after a game or two, but missing that CTRL-Z from Old World!

Last edited:
Now that it has released, I guess we can keep using this thread for general comments? There's stuff that doesn't warrant it's own thread.
---

So, so far I've only met two other Civs out of a total of 8. I've got 300 Fame, which is double the amount of the second placed Civ, the Babylonians. I'm currently destroying them in a war though, and the Hittites are kind of stuck in a corner with 100 Fame. So obviously I thought I was doing pretty well, then I found this tab:

upload_2021-8-18_1-28-9.png

I'm 5th. My neighbours are 7th and 8th! :lol:

I thought I was the Lordest of the Lords, but turns out I'm only Lord of the muppets.

I thought I was the Lordest of the Lords, but turns out I'm only Lord of the muppets.
I love how historical this is. Like the Greeks thought they were the most wonderful, most ancient civilization on Earth. Then they stumbled on Babylon and Egypt, who were like, "Yeah, we've been doing this civilization thing for a couple thousand years. How about you?" :D

Played 8 hours - game is very good! I’ll probably restart tomorrow on a slightly higher difficultly and some different map settings but I very much enjoyed my afternoon.

Here’s to many years of cool mods, expansions and updates.

Now that it has released, I guess we can keep using this thread for general comments? There's stuff that doesn't warrant it's own thread.
---

So, so far I've only met two other Civs out of a total of 8. I've got 300 Fame, which is double the amount of the second placed Civ, the Babylonians. I'm currently destroying them in a war though, and the Hittites are kind of stuck in a corner with 100 Fame. So obviously I thought I was doing pretty well, then I found this tab:

View attachment 605807

The phrase "Big Fish in a Small Pond" springs to lip . . .

But it's early days in that game, and a single Fame Star can net you 150 or more Fame points, so the differences shown there are really minor n the long run. The Fat Lady hasn't even broken out her sheet music yet . . .

Top Bottom