Humankind Game by Amplitude

Do you think it's a good idea to jump straight into the game if I did only play first two betas for short amount of time, or should I take a tutorial?

Yes, jump in, best way.
The Neolithic gives you a paced start.
Explore the menus, especially the unit menu first, to see where the actions are. There are a few things not clear though.
For example, when units are in a stack, click on an individual unit in the unit menu to get actions just for it like moving it out of the stack, upgrading and disbanding.

The phrase "Big Fish in a Small Pond" springs to lip . . .

But it's early days in that game, and a single Fame Star can net you 150 or more Fame points, so the differences shown there are really minor n the long run. The Fat Lady hasn't even broken out her sheet music yet . . .

Yep, I already came across what seems to be a serious issue in regards to the AI. It was mentioned in one of the reviews, I think (Victoria's?). I was happily struggling in fifth place, but all other empires switched to the classical as soon as they got there. I've remained in the ancient era collecting stars and fame and I've catapulted to first place.

upload_2021-8-18_10-52-34.png

This is a bit unbalanced. My temporary solution will be to use a "house rule" in my next games where I force myself to switch to the next age as soon as I'm able to do so.

I feel like the amount of fame from stars should really collapse once someone else reaches the following age. Something like a -75% hit to fame. That way I'd still be encouraged to get any stars from the Ancient Era I'm close to getting, but not linger there for too long. Having a smaller pool of available Civs to choose from is not enough encouragement imo. In this case I'll transcend with the Assyrians anyway.

And the first patch is already here.
https://www.games2gether.com/amplit.../threads/41945-humankind-release-notes?page=1
Spoiler :

[1.0.1.58] Version Notes

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS:
- Removed the Endless mode from beginner and advanced tutorials.
- Added subtitles to the last 4 tutorial videos.

IMPORTANT FIXES:
- Fixed an issue where the end turn could hang when an Independent People ransack a Ruin.
- Fixed an issue where the end turn could hang when a Contemporary Russian Emblematic District is built on a Point of Interest which is not a Resource Deposit.
- Fixed an issue where one Territory is removed by the Map Editor each time a save is performed.

IMPORTANT FIXES [Microsoft Store]:
- Fixed an issue where a user without Multiplayer privilege can be invited on Multiplayer sessions.
- Fixed an issue where a crash can occur when being invited multiple times.

IMPORTANT FIXES [Steam]:
- Fixed an issue where a crash can occur at start while having Epic Game Launcher installed.
- Fixed an issue where the Cloud saves system is not working.

OTHER FIXES:
- Fixed an issue where a wrong value is displayed when the player has not enough War Support to declare a war.
- Fixed an issue where the default Avatar is displayed in game on the First Time User Experience scenario and not the player's customized Avatar.
- Fixed an issue where an error can be encountered during a battle against Deers which uses the Automatic Battle feature.
- Fixed an issue where Resource icons could be no longer displayed on Deposits after being exploited.
- Fixed an issue where a debug text is displayed in the Attack Prediction panel when the Ferocious bonus is applied on Units.
- Fixed an issue where a debug text could be displayed in the Narrator's subtitles when creating the first Emblematic Unit.
- Fixed an issue where "?" character is displayed in numerous event descriptions.
- Fixed an issue where a debug text is displayed in the tooltip of the Luxurious AI Persona Bias.
- Fixed an issue where a debug text is displayed in the Diplomacy log for White Peace proposals.
- Fixed an issue where the fail message when joining a modded Multiplayer lobby isn't clear enough.

I just found out you can still produce units from previous cultures after transition :woohoo:

Yep, you can still build emblematic units up to the point you reach the technology for its advanced counterpart. In simple terms, you can build a spearman until you reach the tech for Pikemen. Some EUs are quite comparable to their advanced counterpart due to their inherent bonuses.

Haha a genial, “get ready for the CivFanatics” ? JKJK.

I’m very much enjoying my first game, I’ll assembling more thorough feedback and impressions, but I’d encourage anyone finding the fame game trivial to try higher difficulties. I like the game much better when the AI can get ahead of me on tech and fame even when they jump immediately to the next era.

I started a new game because my previous one was getting too easy and felt a bit empty (Metropolis, Large - 8 Players).

I chose Empire / Large - 10 Players / Chaotic Continents and this looks much more interesting:

upload_2021-8-19_3-0-56.png

Currently last and a long way off. Might need to try Nation difficulty first if this proves too hard. But the main improvement for me is playing with 10 Players in a Large map (recommended for 8). Currently the Egyptians (Me), Hittites and Olmecs are all trying to control the central region, at present in the hands of an Independent Nation. That region has Copper in it.

The Hittites are also putting a lot of pressure on me. The demands system seems to work well so far and it reminds me of Colonel Santiago and Chairman Yang in Alpha Centauri demanding I "transmit data X or else...", in the sense that I actually feel threatened by it at times and with limited options. Demands were one of the weakest aspects of Civ 6, which never achieved anything other than being annoying, so this is welcomed.

My first impressions after having begun one game:

- Yeah, this game really needs outposts to take city names from the list or maybe add them when they become administrative centers as well as maybe an option to shift city centers - otherwise you will never ever see names later than medieval era - and it kinda kills the immersion.

- I'll play in emptier maps from now on because of this.

- Naval Play needs another look.

- The ingame messages are still a mess (yeah, so how did the other players attitude change without having to click thrice?).

- I don't get pollution (yet).

- I need a better PC, but I can manage. ;-)

My first impressions after having begun one game:

- Yeah, this game really needs outposts to take city names from the list or maybe add them when they become administrative centers as well as maybe an option to shift city centers - otherwise you will never ever see names later than medieval era - and it kinda kills the immersion.

- I'll play in emptier maps from now on because of this.

- Naval Play needs another look.

- The ingame messages are still a mess (yeah, so how did the other players attitude change without having to click thrice?).

- I don't get pollution (yet).

- I need a better PC, but I can manage. ;-)

Yes the city centres are a big thing to me, most of your important cities will be ancient and classical and as the city centres don't ever change you'll be staring at Babylonian ziggurats and Mycenean palaces for all the game.

All 60 cultures in the game have a unique city centre graphic but when will you see the later ones? Emblematic districts remain as a visual history of your previous cultures I really dont think city centres should be unchanging for the whole game. An option to update city centres to your current culture would be a nice touch I think.

Very much agree.

I like a suggestion from another thread that when you get 4 stars of the next era your city styles all change to the current culture. So over time, eventually, all cities will look like your current-era. Maybe Restrict it to certain things (city center?) and let the other things keep the flavor they had when built?

What is the point of military units costing population, other than making warfare in the ancient era extremely infeasible?

Top Bottom