1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Maybe I should make separate albums per era once we get all the civs; or label each picture somehow based on era.

Kjimmet, Jkchart and mitsho like this.
  2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It may be time to create a a subform in "other games" for Humankind

3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Eastern and Western Zhou were roughly dated 1046 - 256 BCE.
    In that same period, aside from the first Chinese Crossbows, heavy chariots, and Sun Tzu, they also had Confucius (Kong Fu Tse) and Lao Tse, the earliest brush/ink painting, bronze decorative cast objects, and the earliest indications of feng shui techniques - including using lodestone compasses to determine orientations.

Which means I would think they could have gone War Monger, Scientific or Aesthete (Cultural, I presume). Since there are more than enough War Mongering cultures in the Bronze Age (Assyrians and Myceneans, just for two) I suspect they decided to emphasize the Aesthetic aspect of the Zhou for Balance.

Which makes me wonder if the later Tang and Ming will also be Aesthete or other Affinity? I would think the Tang with their heavy armored horsemen-based army would be better as War Monger and the Ming, who after all extended Chinese borders into Korea and central Asia, possibly Expansionist

4. nauberry

nauberry Chieftain

Do we have any idea how big the map will be? Seeing the screenshot with the pyramids, it seems that the desert itself is already huge. It oculd be just for the screenshot though. The cities sprawl on such a large area, that a civ 6 sized map would propably be too small in my opinion.

Bonci likes this.
  5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I think it’s quite likely that a Humankind empire will involve a smaller number of larger, more sprawling cities than in Civ 6.

6. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Warlord

I haven't looked up the specific numbers, but from my gut feeling the smallest map is comparable to a tiny Civ6 map in size, but the biggest maps are quite a bit bigger than a Huge Civ 6 map, but of course this feels different with the region system, and may still change.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  7. Eddie Verdde

Eddie Verdde Chieftain

As long as the proportion of tundra+ice caps to the rest of the world is realistic, this is great news.

I don't know about Civ6, but in Civ5 there's too much tundra, probably because the designers didn't take into account that they were using flat maps. In real life (i.e. espherical world) the proportion of polar surface is much smaller than in the maps of civ.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. Catoninetales_Amplitude

I am afraid that just like Civilization and pretty much every other game that uses a flat map to represent a global scale, we are bound by the facts of mathematics and map projections, making it impossible to maintain distances, angles, and areas simultaneously.
    In other words: 10 tiles worth of map height near the poles will be the same area as 10 tiles worth of map height near the equator, so there will probably be "too much" polar region.

9. nauberry

nauberry Chieftain

Some of the ture start location map mods in teh workshop have solved this issue by cutting off the polar regions of the map. This would mean less tundra area and ice, but would still allow icy areas in places such as greenland.

10. Catoninetales_Amplitude

That may create less tundra and ice, but it does not solve the issue of the map being distorted, especially concerning "horizontal" distances. Travelling 10° of longitude along the equator is a much longer trip than it is at 70° northern latitude.
    In the end, this means that we (and likely many other games like this) focus on creating a somewhat believable 2D map that creates an enjoyable game pace rather than trying to project a globe into the flat plane and get the proportions of different areas just right. Unfortunately, "enjoyable game pace" is not a quantifiable measurement, so I cannot tell you whether or not the majority of players would find the maps in Humankind enjoyable to play on.

11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Is it too soon to speak of map making/modding tools?

A worldbuilder? Access to maps scripts to create our own ("Continents" , "Terra" , etc...) ?

Prester John 2 likes this.
  12. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Sadly, at the moment those conversations are pretty much restricted to:
    "Will there be modding?" - "Ideally, yes."

I can't make any promises yet.

13. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Warlord

Presumably the areas around the poles will consist of uncolonisable regions maybe you can stick research outposts there later who knows.

The amount of tundra in civ seemed fine but then I like maps that are more cramped, default settings give you too much space so theres fewer reasons for conflict.

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Some more pictures from the trailers

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.40.36.jpg
    Sankoré University?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.39.19.jpg
    unidentified Wonder (not a city center)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.39.34.jpg
    unidentified Wonder (not a city center)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.38.26.jpg
    Hanging Gardens

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.40.16.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.38.51.jpg
    Viking UU (?) In-game and from the cinematic trailer

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-12 um 18.41.21.jpg
    Viking city (?)

We need a thread in which we keep track of which wonders were already seen...

conorbebe and Meluhhan like this.
  15. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Almost certainly the Tōdai-ji temple in Nara, Japan.

(Which is also the Japanese wonder in Age of Kings.)

conorbebe, Meluhhan, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  16. Eddie Verdde

Eddie Verdde Chieftain

@Catoninetales,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm used to flat maps, no problem with that, but I suppose the tundra area can be artificially reduced by just making it start on higher latitudes than in real life, to compensate for the flatness of the map. Otherwise, we'll end up with a lot of useless surface because no one settles in tundra and nothing much happens there, really.

Anyway, bigger maps is good news, indeed. :)

This is also true, but as Catoninetales said, in Humankind we'll be using a regions system, so the management of the territory and disputes over land could get very different from Civ.

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I as I remember in Endless Legend, which also used a 'Region' system, you could set the size of the Regions. Setting large sized Regions automatically would 'compress' the map, bringing your settlements into conflict with your opponents more quickly, whereas on a Large Map with small Regions everybody had more 'room'.

18. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

19. Eddie Verdde

Eddie Verdde Chieftain

I don't know, I never played Endless Legend.

What I used to do in Civ to avoid too much "room" while playing in huge maps was just setting the Sea Level to "High". Less land, more competition.

20. jddods

jddods Prince

Started playing EL last month in prep for Humankind. Enjoying it, I'm normally an exclusive Civ player but this one has caught me, although I'm not big on Fantasy.